Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 21:56   #61

Re: Tata Harrier XZA - Engine replacement in a 6-month old car!

Read the whole thread and it's not the failing of an engine that's bothersome, what's worrying is the handlihng of this issue by Tata motors Ltd. How can a manufacturer behave like this with a customer who put trust on there signature product. Feel sorry for the ordeal being faced by you.
I have a booking for Safari for which lack of proven reliability has been my concern and now with this post I am re-thinking of my decision in favour of Crysta.
bednbath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:50   #62
BHPian

I think you need to start making some noise to get treated fairly. It’s unfortunate , but needed to get a fair hearing. I would do the below if I were you.

1. Not have an expectation for vehicle replacement. Very unlikely.

2. In you emails to regional managers , copy higher ups from Tata , ministry of road transport (central and state) , any other central / state agencies responsible for maintaining quality of automobiles / any product in general. Do also copy your advocate if you have one in the family. In short ‘UP’ the game.

3. Clearly ask the regional managers to give in writing that the proposed solution will solve the problems with the car and in future this problem will not reoccur. Push for them to get it signed and stamped on a letter head and email / post it to you. In short make it difficult for them to hide in the future once the swap is done.

4. Post your ordeal on twitter / face book / other avenues stating the facts. Make sure you are clear that you are only looking for a solution to your problem and not trying to defame the brand. Use a positive but brutally honest tone in your post. The company should not be able to tag this as malice.

Up the game. Position yourself as an innocent customer who is looking to get what he/ she has already paid for.

All the best !!

Last edited by charanreddy : 2nd July 2022 at 09:52.
charanreddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 21:42   #63
BHPian

re: Excessive vibrations from Harrier engine | EDIT: Tata & dealer replacing the car!

This is the second harrier engine replacement I'm reading through here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...old-car-4.html (Tata Harrier XZA - Engine replacement in a 6-month old car!)

Last edited by r24x7 : 2nd July 2022 at 21:43.
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:08   #64
BHPian

re: Excessive vibrations from Harrier engine | EDIT: Tata & dealer replacing the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
You should start reading up threads and their OPs names more carefully.
akshay380 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 00:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
You should start reading up threads and their OPs names more carefully.
My bad. Didn't realise it's the same OP , but two different threads for the same vehicle/ issue.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 01:14   #66
BHPian

It's sad to see that people like you suffer after spending your hard earned money. It's high time for the government to bring lemon law. Government is the biggest profit maker in a car sale so they should also have some sort of responsibility.
Say if Tata provides you a new car, will you still have 100% faith in your new car as it's from same brand. In my humble opinion, trust once broken stays broken and no action or deed can mend it.
I therefore would recommend you to get the engine replaced and then cut short your losses and sell the car. I know this will heart you financially but nothing is more important than peace of mind.
CommitTran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 16:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmotor View Post
I too had the exact same thoughts or rather should I say a wish. Why can’t TML and M&M pull off a joint venture or components/part sharing? Imagine the mHawk/mStallion engine in a Harrier/Safari

Coming to the original topic, FCA engine is good and reliable. It’s doing duty in Jeep Compass/Meridian, MG Hector/Hector+ apart from Harrier/Safari. This is a specific case of a defective engine which can happen with any component. However the way the issue is handled by the dealer and TML is appalling.
Why will a profit making company with a sound engineering (Mahindra) want to do anything with a company like Tata motors?

Unless Tata motors fire a lot of their 'senior' management who produce more drag than any government employee, things will not change.
Why does a FCA engine which comes whole from the factory pass the Tata QC before installation? Surely a 'chalta hai' attitude is rampant in the company to allow a whole defective engine to pass. Why do maximum lemons come from Tata motors? Why are Tata motors dealers the biggest cheats? Why are multiple cases of accidental cars, abused cars, repainted cars being sold as new by their dealers? It's not as if Tata motors is blind to this fraud. It's only that the permanent employees know that they can get away with any theft without consequences therefore, everything goes on at Tata motors.
It's really sad to see that inspite of being the 3rd largest seller, customers don't want to leave their cars alone even for a day in a Tata service station. That alone speaks volumes on the brand.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 3rd July 2022 at 16:45.
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 19:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Why will a profit making company with a sound engineering (Mahindra) want to do anything with a company like Tata motors?
To make more profit of course If FCA can give their engines to Tata and MG, why not M&M?

Quote:
Unless Tata motors fire a lot of their 'senior' management who produce more drag than any government employee, things will not change.
A lot has changed with TML from organisational and product implementation perspective . There is a reason why they are consistently performing well in their PV sales for last couple of years or so.

Quote:
Why does a FCA engine which comes whole from the factory pass the Tata QC before installation?
No amount of QC will guarantee a 100% defect free product. FCA also have QC at their end. These sort of things could happen with any manufacturer.

Quote:
Why do maximum lemons come from Tata motors? Why are Tata motors dealers the biggest cheats? Why are multiple cases of accidental cars, abused cars, repainted cars being sold as new by their dealers?
Same issues/incidents are reported with other manufacturers as well. There are numerous threads in this forum itself.

As I mentioned in my post, the way the dealer and TML has handled this situation is pathetic. Engine related issues are not TML specific.
techmotor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:37   #69
BHPian

Shocking response from TAMO. Someone who trusted them enough to spend 20+ lacs of his hard earned money on their premium offering shouldn't be treated this way ( not saying that people who buy their less expensive cars should be treated this way either ).

Seems like they've figured out the small car game to an extent, I'm seeing dozens of new Tiagos and Nexons on the road frequently and all of them seem to be happy about their purchase, but TAMO seems to have dropped the ball with regards to the big car game. Mahindra has them beat on performance as well as service.

If they aren't careful, they might end up like maruti on car sales - successful w.r.t small cars but people generally overlook their big car offerings and don't think they're worth it. In most districts in my state, only one company is avilable for all things related to Tata PVs, so in those respective districts, they sometimes have a sense of invincibility that they can do anything and because the customer has no other option to service his car other than travel to another district to find another dealer which not everyone has the time or resources to do, he's forced to visit the same dealer again. But with companies like Maruti, if company A is providing bad service, there probably will be a dealership from company B not too far away and i can just threaten to take my car there and more often than not, that does the trick. Tata needs to do something about these dealer monopolies. I am 100% sure cases like Kapil's will reduce exponentially if something is done about these dealer monopolies. If something can be done to knock them off their high horses, then it's a massive win.

I hope you find a solution for your problems, Kapil. Try to involve the higher ups of TAMO as much as you can in your communications and use social media liberally to address your issues. Risk of bad publicity is far greater than the cost of even a brand new harrier.

Also it's sad some people are using this thread to express their buying policies w.r.t tata cars, why?

Last edited by SaiSW : 14th July 2022 at 10:50.
Old 20th July 2022, 16:02   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

These constant niggles that TAMO is not able to solve even after 3 years of the car being on sale in the market, just cements that they still need to put in humongous effort to build a good 20-25 Lakh car on their own.

They have cracked the segments upto the 15 Lakh mark with; Tiago, Tigor, Altroz, Punch and Nexon

Taking components from FCA and then assembling it on their production line, without proper QC at the end is what is causing these issues.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 20th July 2022 at 16:03.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 16:43   #71
BHPian

Hi Kapil, I have been in your situation and still am.
So my advise and recommendation to you is
1. Sell the car immediately (right away). Or swap the engine and sell it.
2. Tata will not replace the car with a new one.
3. Most important point is, "YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING" in this situation because we consumers are like rats for the OEMs as well as the government.
Period.

Additionally, you can also take this legally. Again it will take many years for the outcome of the case. You know how the government/court works in India.

Please understand this clearly. Harrier/Safari is totally a half-baked product from Tata. Nexon/Altroz/Punch are all different as they are ground-up built products. Unfortunately,
1. Harrier/Safari is based on JLR platform, which Tata modified to make it affordable. It is not working out.
2. The full steering set (assembly, pump, rack, etc) is of very poor quality and poorly calibrated as well.
3. The auto transmission is from Hyundai.
4. The engine is from Fiat.
5. The suspension tuning is from JLR and Lotus, etc, etc, etc.
All in all, Harrier/Safari is like an assembled PC (which we used some 20 years back if you remember). Unfortunately, I realized this only after buying this car.

While Tata (& Mahindra) may score top safety ratings, Tata will be the last in terms of reliability, ASS experience, fit, and finish. Tata's attitude is so bad that they don't even want to take the vehicle for service. Especially, Harrier/Safari being their flagship products, the customer and ownership experience is literally a nightmare and walk-on the nails. We should be very fortunate and lucky enough to own a Harrier/Safari without issues/niggles/problems.

Harrier/Safari is selling not because it's a good product, but only because of the long waiting periods and undelivered commitments by M&M (XUV700), poor safety rating of the crowded Seltos/Creta, non-diesel options from VAG, expensive Compass & C5 Aircross, and finally outdated Tuscon.

While I am in your situation for the past 2.5 years, I unable to sell the car because this is my only car (and it is a BS4 model) and I cannot afford to spend an additional 15L-20L for a new car. My situation is - either I sell this and settle down for a small car below 15L (or) go for a used car. Unfortunately, my mind and heart don't want to step down for a small car. Neither am I lucky enough to get the right used car (I had a bad experience many years back).

So, SELL YOUR CAR and be at peace.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 21:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
These constant niggles that TAMO is not able to solve even after 3 years of the car being on sale in the market, just cements that they still need to put in humongous effort to build a good 20-25 Lakh car on their own.

Taking components from FCA and then assembling it on their production line, without proper QC at the end is what is causing these issues.
I guess, the unreliability lies on the platform. A Land Rover platform should be the last option if anyone wanted reliability, considering the notoriety of Land Rover. Tata did a wonderful job with the ALFA platform. Similarly, they should have invested more and built a new platform from scratch for the bigger SUVs as well. Adapting the D8 platform and then going for cost cutting was a very bad move, and we see the results in threads like these. Let's face it, when using a platform meant for luxury cars for a 20L car, cost cutting is imminent.

It's too early in time and too late in terms of investment to call it quits for the platform. The most expensive good car from Tata is currently Nexon. If you want anything above that, look else where.

Sorry for going off topic.
Benoit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I guess, the unreliability lies on the platform. A Land Rover platform should be the last option if anyone wanted reliability, considering the notoriety of Land Rover. Tata did a wonderful job with the ALFA platform.
I guess only the floor-plan is D8. Top-hat is heavily reworked, and the electrical, trims, powertrain and else are all newly designed.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th July 2022 at 22:19. Reason: quoted post trimmed.
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:20   #74
BHPian

@Kapilnitdg have you received any update from TAMO? Has the replacement engine arrived?
Old 1st September 2022, 23:43   #75
BHPian

Hello Bhpians!!

Wanted to give an update on the issue.

After I sent emails to Tata motors top leadership posting them the link of team-bhp thread, I got a call from dealership Kropex Motors.
Mr Raghu Nandavarik, GM of Kropex Motors was very supportive. He helped me sell off my old car for a good price and then with minimum financial impact, I got a new vehicle. I am thankful to Mr Raghu and Mr Tanveer who helped me resolve this issue . Hope will have a positive experience with the new car
I am also thankful to all BHpians for providing me full support on this issue. It’s because of the power of the platform that customer voices are heard !!! More power to Team BHP !!

Last edited by kapilnitdg : 1st September 2022 at 23:48. Reason: Added full name
kapilnitdg is offline   (62) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks