Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2007, 10:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Major Scratches on the Windshield

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I am using a new Getz and the windshield has got some major scratches today morning. It is very annoying while driving as most of the scratches are on the driver side. I believe the watchman is not cleaning the car properly. I am going to sack him tomorrow and clean the car myself. I cannot replace the windshield as I have put V Cool sun film worth 11, 000. Is there any way to remove the scratches? [/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 20th June 2007, 12:15   #2
BHPian

I guess there is no way you can remove scratches from the windshield. I got my changed due to this reason.
Old 20th June 2007, 12:20   #3
BHPian

It might be worthwhile checking up with 'Windshield Experts' if they have a solution. I have seen their outlets near Ulsoor rd and Madivala.
Old 20th June 2007, 12:24   #4
BHPian

I could not figure a way out when a street dog climbed over and scratched my windsheild.
Old 20th June 2007, 14:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

'Windshield experts' will do the job. Also there are people in all metros who do this buffing/polishing of windshields, you can get a link from some second hand car dealers in your city. They get these jobs done!!
Old 20th June 2007, 14:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
'Windshield experts' will do the job. Also there are people in all metros who do this buffing/polishing of windshields, you can get a link from some second hand car dealers in your city. They get these jobs done
I was told by the windshield experts that they cannot do anything about the scratched glass. They can work around if its a small crack, provided that dust has not gone into the same.
Old 20th June 2007, 14:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
I could not figure a way out when a street dog climbed over and scratched my windsheild.
In my case its my dog he like to sit on top of my car (i find it cute) but for this i have to get the windshield replaced 3 times in 1 year

i asked windshield expert and they said i have to change the windshield

no other way out of it
Old 20th June 2007, 14:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

More than the windshield, it is the 11k worth of film that is a waste here. This is one major reason i have not yet put any film for the windshield.
Old 20th June 2007, 14:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to Windshield experts. They cannot do anything about scratches.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

There's was something about trying to put toothpaste on the glass and wiping it off. Its in one of those car maintenance threads.

Never allow watchman to wipe cars. they could be wearing rings, bracelets, watches.. using coarse clothes. You will have scratches or swirlmarks on the car glass or body.

Its best if you wash your car yourself. Buy a good chamois cloth.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

There are glues and compounds available now with the same refractive index as glass. The UK Auto glass companies can do amazing things (encouraged by the insurance companies, who usually offer 100% no-quiblle, no loss of NCR deals on glass replacement).

The trouble with polishing out a scratch is you'd have to take the glass down to the depth of the scratch. That might leave a patch your windscreen wiper didn't clear in the rain.

You get some glass-polishing compound and try it --- on the kill or cure principle. But it make takes days of work :(
Old 20th June 2007, 15:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Very few people, even so called professionals, seem to appreciate that dust is abrasive and needs to be hosed off or removed with something soft, not rubbed in :(
Old 20th June 2007, 15:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Its best if you wash your car yourself. Buy a good chamois cloth.
Where can I get this cloth?
Thanks
Old 20th June 2007, 16:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
I was told by the windshield experts that they cannot do anything about the scratched glass. They can work around if its a small crack, provided that dust has not gone into the same.
When i asked them the same about a small crack on my car's windscreen, they said they cannot do anything about a crack, but just scratches that they cater to. For a crack, they said you need to replace the windscreen.
What struck me the most was they didnt even ask me to come down once, so they could check if it was worth working on or not.

I wasnt impressed by the first signs of how they approached my problem.
Also, the quote they gave me for the replacement was not much less than what my Ford dealer informed me. However, i chose to carry on with the crack, as it wasnt affecting the line of vision.
Old 20th June 2007, 17:32   #15
BHPian

There is an expert in hyderabad who has got a website.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks