Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 22:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Something like that, though they are sequential, so one boosts into another.
Old 22nd June 2007, 22:34   #17
BHPian

Is an inline 6 in the picture?

If the inline 6 was mentioned as a choice then no questions asked I would suggest the six cylinder over four cylinders with boost. Since you have mentioned V6 the parts count of the engines in question would roughly be the same but even here the bigger engine is going to be puttering around and yet giving you all the power you would need with out straining the engine.
Another inherent plus point with the inline 6 is the balance of the engine with out the need for balancer shafts of complex designs. The KIS (Keep it simple) principle in engines especially for Indian conditions is to be followed if we want to enjoy what the engine has to offer rather than the workshop.
Old 23rd June 2007, 05:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Surprising no one asked about the displacements of both engines before advising....

Having driven both (VW 1.8 turbo & non-turbo 2.9 VR6 of the same peak output) I'd pick the bigger NA engine anyday for a road car. You can be the first off the lights & go quicker without going over the speed limit too much. This is what would put the smile on your face rather than revving the pants off the turbo and waiting for boost.
Old 23rd June 2007, 08:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

The V6 car will be nose heavy and not so much fun to throw around. Otherwise the 6 is a sweeter powertrain anyday compared to a 4 banger.

Now times have changed and with GDI and VGT you can probably have your cake and eat it too.

Best to drive both cars.
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Best to drive both cars.
if u have the moolah get the best of both worlds. But if i was you I'd get the V8... I love the spine tingling, hair raising loud sound it churns out.
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

BTW who still makes a V4 engine?
oops, i mean I4 and V6.

sorry guys, just came back from vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
if u have the moolah get the best of both worlds. But if i was you I'd get the V8... I love the spine tingling, hair raising loud sound it churns out.
yeah right, i took a mustang to florida. (for the records, around 900 miles in 15 hrs flat). the charm of the hair raising loud sound fades away in 15 mins, i wish i had a camry or an accord when cruising at 80 on totally empty roads.

BTW, I was just researching, and felt that turbo engine actually gave similar mileage to V6. e.g. subaru, acura RDX (compare with a non turbo V6 in any other compact SUV). so i cudn't figure out a real advantage of a turbo 4 cyl vs 6 cyl.

turbo.
SUBARU.COM : MODEL OVERVIEW : 2008 OUTBACK 2.5 XT LIMITED

non turbo.
SUBARU.COM : MODEL OVERVIEW : 2008 OUTBACK 3.0 R L.L.BEAN EDITION
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Surprising no one asked about the displacements of both engines before advising.....
i was not particular about any engine. the question is more of an academic value since it's hard to find exactly similar specs for comparison for the two types.
Old 4th July 2007, 05:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

one more point from my test drives, I4 is much more noisier than V6, even when both are revved to the peak.

even if you compare a honda (CR-V) or toyota (RAV4) with kia (sorento).

well, i already bought the V6 and have no plans to turbo it in near future. although i read about somebody whose modded van used to put sports cars to shame at traffic lights.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'd go for the V6 (with VCM).

Shan2nu
Old 8th August 2013, 21:53   #25
BHPian

Re: Turbo 4 cylinder Vs N/A V6 engine

This is a pretty old thread, but I was hoping to get some thoughts on it, revisiting the topic 6 years later.

With cost pressure, smaller engines with turbo looks to be what everyone is resorting to. Lower initial cost of ownership, owing to taxes applicable, registration, etc. Ongoing costs are also lower with the better fuel efficiency.

Technology has improved, so what are the thoughts around this now, in Aug 2013?

Does the saying 'no replacement for displacement' still hold good?
Old 9th August 2013, 11:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

6 years later is a long time and technology has improved. Manufacturers are increasingly moving towards smaller displacement turbo charged engines mainly due to fuel efficiency and emissions as also probably lower costs. But alongwith turbos, direct injection now also plays a greater role in modern engines.

Ford's ecoboost engines as well as BMW's N20 twin scroll turbo engines have consistently won engine of the year awards for a couple of years now. Both offer almost the same or more power than the older higher displacement engines they replace with added benefits of more than 20-25% fuel efficiency and similar lower emissions.

I soon see the Japs following
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 17:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If the inline 6 was mentioned as a choice then no questions asked I would suggest the six cylinder over four cylinders with boost. Since you have mentioned V6 the parts count of the engines in question would roughly be the same but even here the bigger engine is going to be puttering around and yet giving you all the power you would need with out straining the engine.
Another inherent plus point with the inline 6 is the balance of the engine with out the need for balancer shafts of complex designs. The KIS (Keep it simple) principle in engines especially for Indian conditions is to be followed if we want to enjoy what the engine has to offer rather than the workshop.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Surprising no one asked about the displacements of both engines before advising....

Having driven both (VW 1.8 turbo & non-turbo 2.9 VR6 of the same peak output) I'd pick the bigger NA engine anyday for a road car. You can be the first off the lights & go quicker without going over the speed limit too much. This is what would put the smile on your face rather than revving the pants off the turbo and waiting for boost.
The VW VR6 (vee inline 6) has more in common with a straight six than a V6, with its narrow angle (15 degrees I think) between banks. It is sweeter than any V6 I have driven, has one cylinder head and measures only four and a half cylinders long. The 24 valve engine uses a very clever head design which only needs 2 camshafts - they actuate valves in both banks.

Of course, I would choose a horizontally-opposed, boxer layout over a V6 or I4. But you knew that! The advantages outweigh the drawbacks several times over from the driver's point of view, in my opinion, if not the profit element for the maker.
Old 13th August 2013, 21:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

There are many factor apart from engine size and cylinder.
This images says a lot (Source :JDM memes)

Turbo 4 cylinder Vs N/A V6 engine-gtr-versus-lambo.jpg
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks