Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 21:32   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Paddle shifters - What is the right way/time to use those?

Eventually I think paddle shifters will be phased out. It was something that manufacturers introduced to increase coolness factor (idea flicked from F1 racing). Manual mode in an automatic gearbox perfectly suits the requirements of driving enthusiasts anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revving-prabhu View Post
This thread got me thinking what’s the best practice while descending downhill in an automatic car without paddle shifters?
It will have either a manual mode +/- to shift to a lower gear or L mode (which selects lower gear).

Name:  2018hondaamaze24.jpg
Views: 2319
Size:  108.4 KB

If EVs take off (and hybrids too), regenerative braking will solve the 'descending downhill' problem.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 07:26   #17
BHPian

I was excited when I added a Passat dsg with paddle shifters to my 1.8tsi manual Laura.

However even after 40+k,I haven't really figured out how to use them meaningfully. I don't know if it's a petrol vs diesel issue.

On the Skoda, there's a an aural input that tells you your shift point whether you are driving aggressively or sedately. On the Passat, it seems quieter, and dsg shifts are so smooth, I don't get that trigger so can't figure out the right shift points.

If I need agression I simply switch to sports mode and it holds revs higher honestly than my abilities can sustain. Finally once you hit either the redline or stall limit, the dsg shifts on its own.

Out of the 40000km, I doubt I have used it for more than 100km and am pretty happy about it. The Laura is enough for my manual shift thrill fix.

Infact I'd go a step forward and propose that if a good auto with high-rev sport option, but without paddle shifters can bring down the premium to be paid to go auto, it'd be a good thing. Add some other usable features or make the car more affordable.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 08:01   #18
BANNED

Nice post, thanks for the inputs, I am about to get my first car with paddle shifters, so this came at the right time. I was initially planning on not using them at all, and allowing the transmission to do the work, that's what Automatics are for right? now I think I may just give the paddle shifters a go.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 09:17   #19
BHPian

Its car specific, in some cars there is no electronic interference and you dont see the car changing gears, even of you redline it to the max and it's completely your prerogative, but in few cars, the car gets its intelligence to change gears in proportion to the RPM.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 09:30   #20
BHPian

I drive a Jazz CVT with Paddle shifters. Its a very docile machine to drive. Driving in city traffic and narrow rural roads is always done in the D mode using the Paddle shifters to downshift for quick overtake. I regularly use the Paddle Shifters in S mode while on the highways and while using engine breaking going down hill in the ghats.
Zen Av8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:10   #21
BHPian

I drive a City CVT. And have been using paddle shifters

- Driving downhill - You need to have all the possible forces from pulling the vehicle down. Yeah that gives a sense of safe grip downhills
- Hard Acceleration - the CVT band doesn't change beyond 2.5k RPM. The car sticks to the current ratio when accelerated hard. Smooth auto upshifts happen below 2000 RPM. So under circumstances of overtaking, on hard acceleration, the engine downshifts and takes to a lower ratio and until i let go of the accelerator, upshifts don't happen. That's when paddle shifters come into play.
- Free highway and sequential shift mode when I do want a bot of control. Yes the CVT doesn't do justice for the Honda's mill, but S mode does let have some fun!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Eventually I think paddle shifters will be phased out. It was something that manufacturers introduced to increase coolness factor (idea flicked from F1 racing). Manual mode in an automatic gearbox perfectly suits the requirements of driving enthusiasts anyway.
For manual mode on an AT drivetrain, you will have to take off your hand from the steering wheel, the paddle shifters eliminate this move. Not an issue if driving normally on a straight road, but, in the hills or while driving in sports mode, the convenience + safety of a paddle shifter is something which I would prefer.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
So, for normal day to day driving or on long highway runs, how/where does the usage of paddle shifters fit in? It feels like I am missing something that might make my life somewhat easier
---
Is there a right way or time to use the paddle shifters? Any inputs from experienced folks here would be greatly appreciated.
I use paddle shifters (on my A4) only almost exclusively in the ghats, just to get the "kick" of controlling the car manually and to aid somewhat for the engine braking.

Elsewhere on plain open roads/highways, I let the DSG work its charm, its way faster/smoother than what we humans can do.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I use it in city traffic to prevent excess shifting and early upshifting when I know that there is a junction coming up where the gears have to be dropped again. Also my Slavia has the habit of shifting up early and in combination with the hefty low end torque it picks up speed sometimes unnecessarily in traffic. Hence instead of that I drive it in manual mode and try to stick to a single gear like 3 or 4 and wont shift higher. It improves the FE too and prevents too much of speed build up which will then require excess braking.

In addition to that of course in the regular scenarios like engine braking etc. But definitely not on the highway. The transmission does a brilliant job there.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 12:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I use it in city traffic to prevent excess shifting and early upshifting when I know that there is a junction coming up where the gears have to be dropped again... Hence instead of that I drive it in manual mode and try to stick to a single gear like 3 or 4 and wont shift higher. It improves the FE too and prevents too much of speed build up which will then require excess braking.
This! I guess this explains perfectly why I feel I am braking more often even when I am driving in a mellow manner. Maybe putting in to sports mode (which I believe delays upshifts?) but still driving without pushing the pedal much would be better?

Now that I have read the responses, I am planning to try this on a not too crowded road - put the gear shaft in M mode and simply enjoy the clutch-free but added control over gears.

On my Santro Xing it (which did not have any RPM meter, nor was it very silent in the cabin), I used to drive by "feel" of the speed. Of course, the Santro was with me for 15yrs and the Taigun has been with me for just 9 months. But I am finding it difficult to judge speed or "right" time to shift gears in the few times I did try the paddles.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:00   #26
BHPian

I believe the true purpose of the paddle-shifters comes to fore on hilly areas. I drive a 2008 Accord which has the conventional torque converter AT. The moment one enters Himachal Pradesh or any hilly state for that matter, the next moment paddle shift usage begins. Usually I stick with the second gear on inclines and play with the throttle depending upon the road surface, width of the road, the vehicle ahead, and depending upon these circumstances the need to upshift or downshift can easily be dispensed off using the paddle shifters. I can fend off the declines with the second gear, however if the downward slope is too much and the second gear is unable to assist with engine braking then the brake pedal usage comes into the picture.

The plains don't require the use of paddle shifters as the 'D' mode can take care of the usual bursts of power required for overtaking. Step down the throttle in 'D' mode is itself a signal to the computer to shift down one or two gears depending upon the car.

One aspect of the conventional AT is the fact that an upshift or a downshift is coupled with a RPM needle spike! This is helpful to me as I can set in my mind a particular RPM point where I would proceed with an upshift. For example , on an incline and the car is in second gear and I know , I need the third to bring it to the required speed. I will throttle up in second gear until the RPM needle is past 5000 and then paddle shift upwards and the resultant drop in RPM needle which drops to 2500 rpm, more importantly I have attained the required speed. Lets assume that far ahead there is a decline , I can let go of throttle and wait for the approach and if the RPM needle gets below 2000 RPM and as the car right now is in third gear which is not required for the decline, I can then safely downshift using paddle shifters and the resultant spike in RPM needle as it gets past 2500 RPM. This aspect is of outmost importance to me. I presume this 'RPM spike' behavior cannot be exhibited by either CVT's or DCT's.

The 'RPM spike' behavior is actually to the detriment of the conventional AT as is highlights its inability to come to terms with the unconstrained power of the engine. The CVT's or for that matter DCT's do a good job of coming to terms with the power of the engine power that's why they don't exhibit that behavior.
ritedhawan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:14   #27

I use paddle shifters in my Honda City CVT to upshift to reduce the elastic effect of gear change in D mode. I am downshifting to overtake and the engine braking. This one makes our driving more enjoyable.
Hazi.Kin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 16:12   #28
BHPian

This is very interesting. How to tackle downhill conditions in a CVT without paddle shifters? I have a Honda Amaze Petrol S CVT without paddle shifters.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 20:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

The only area where I like using paddle shifters is in the curvy (and mountainous) roads where I like to use engine braking and also be in the right gear before I enter the curve.

Otherwise, gearboxes have great computers which know exactly what the driver wants. Many cars today have adaptive computers which monitor and learn shifting patterns based on driver inputs over a period of time.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I use it in city traffic to prevent excess shifting and early upshifting when I know that there is a junction coming up where the gears have to be dropped again. Also my Slavia has the habit of shifting up early and in combination with the hefty low end torque it picks up speed sometimes unnecessarily in traffic. Hence instead of that I drive it in manual mode and try to stick to a single gear like 3 or 4 and wont shift higher. It improves the FE too and prevents too much of speed build up which will then require excess braking.

In addition to that of course in the regular scenarios like engine braking etc. But definitely not on the highway. The transmission does a brilliant job there.
just wanted to know if using too much of paddle shifters is good or bad for the DSG system?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks