Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 05:43   #1
BHPian

Stone coming under the car

Yesterday while parking my car (Hyundai Santro Xing XS),I moved over a big stone, thinking that the car would be able to pass over it. But the stone got stuck under the underside of the car and I could feel it. After some manoevering, I was able to climb over the stone, and I could clearly see scratch marks over the stone ( approximately a cubewith sides about six inches, with a sharp edge on top), made when it came in contact with the underside of the car.

On trying to see the damage under the car, there was little I could see. When driving again, I could sense that the car was running rather laboriously, third gear running felt like I was in second gear, and on fourth gear, I felt like I was running in third gear.

What could be the reason ? My guess is that the stone that got stuck underneath has caused the brake components underneath to shift from their usual positions.

Can someone explain technically what may have happened ? It is clear that I have to go to the service centre to get the problem rectified. And how much will it cost ?

Please help. And thanks in advance.
Old 25th June 2007, 09:17   #2
BHPian

underneath u have the drivetrain. it also has the servo assisted brake system. Do get it checked asap from the service centres.
Old 25th June 2007, 09:41   #3
BHPian

Check if you have stone chip stuck between your brake disc and calipers. If you drive with anything wedged there it should make an screeching sound.

How abt the second possiblity that your shift rod has actually moved and lower gears are getting engaged!
Old 25th June 2007, 10:27   #4
BHPian

There are quite a few things that could be wrong, but nothing that an A.S.S. or a roadside mechanic cannot check and rectify if inspected on a ramp. My, sincere advice is these things are not DIY. Take it to someone competent to clear out any problems.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:43   #5
BHPian

You are lucky you did not damage the engine sump, else the engine oil would have drained out leading to engine seizure. Better to get the vehicle inspected at the earliest, for damage.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Take it to the service station & put it on a ramp. The last time i did the same, my silencer developed a crack.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:15   #7
BHPian

I think you could have hit the Cat Con or silencer pipe, which are narrowed now causing restrictive exhaust of gas flow and forcing some back into the engine.

Get it checked ASAP.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:53   #8
BHPian

first thing you do next time when a stone gets stuck is check to see where the f is the stone wedged and if it could damage the underside best would be to jack it up.

as of now let us know whether u were doing a reverse or forward parking and which wheel in particular did go over the stone to get it stuck in ur underside.
Old 25th June 2007, 13:08   #9
BHPian

[COLOR=black]Hey Man it is serious. I remember last time It happened to me. I was driving from Dalhousie to Dharmsala and I know there is a route which saves at least 1 hr and I took that the road was pretty good but as happens in all hill stations, some patches was like hell. So while negotiating such patch a stone hit the bally of car and Car make to neutral by itself and after that come what may I could not engage the gears. It was in middle of jungle and no one to help, the only luck was that I had to come down the hill so I pushed it for some time and then drove it on neutral on slope. When road side mechanic went under the car he found that some rod which engages the gears has been dislocated , he some how managed to engage the 3rd gear and I drove 100 km in 3rd gear. So get it checked ASAP, before some serious damage happens[/COLOR]
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:24   #10
BHPian

@squarecut: Did you get your car checked? Hope all was well. Do give us a feedback if and when time permits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks