Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 21:46   #1

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800

Hi Petrol Heads ,
So this is my very first forum thread or post.

I was wondering what to start with , so I chose to make a project related post as I've seen many forums related to it and many users like it too.

Here's my first post on the restoration project of a new toy which was brought by one of our customers.

The toy is a 1998 model Ambassador swapped with an original carburetted nova 1500cc 4cyl diesel engine.

The customer basically had it parked at a workshop at Kottayam, Kerala. Sadly, it stood there for almost 3-4 years (no pics of before restoration).
The climatic conditions and the age has hit it so hard.
It had Lots of work to be done and lots to be spent.

The customer had enough fund and interest in bringing back this beauty to life. He approached us two months back saying that somebody has to drive it from KL to BLR. As he planned to give it to us for the restoration.
My dad found it the right opportunity to go to KL as he needed parts and spares for his landmaster, sierra and also various other reasons.
The time was convienient. My dad and his friend left to Kerala.

The story of the car over there was dreaded and pretty painful. It was rusted and jammed. But the mechanic somehow managed to make it run, as it was in a shelter and luckily the garage owner used to start it once in a month.

But unfortunately the car only did 40kmph max and the brake cylinders were faulty and the car had to be cranked directly from the battery to starter.
But somehow with gods grace and the heart of that machine to come back to life didnt make it stop anywhere and create issues, except for fuel and cooling.

They brought that beauty back to BLR in running condition.They took turns while the other one was tired.

By the time She was here , She was hot and thirsty and ready to get restored and we couldn't wait to lay our hands on it.

The project had already started while I was out for educational reasons. So all the pictures are the ones which I've taken after the project started.

While I came back, the car's engine work had started. The engine was detached from the car and was ready to get rebuilt.

The customer wanted us to not hurry it up as it may end up in faults. We did each work patiently and without stress.

Here is the picture of its bypass surgery.

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800-img_20220803_200117.jpg

It had a 1996 Ambassador Nova diesel engine with a 5-speed isuzu transmission.

The engine and transmission didn't match well. It didn't run well and moreover it grinded the clutch a lot.
The desired performance wasn't recieved.

But now the customer regrets and has somehow managed to get an original ISZ1800 engine which is in th OEM spec and can cope up with the gearbox.

He has brought a 1998' isuzu pegeot engine. Which needed new pistons, rings, oil seals , bearings , valves , re-boring and cylinder alignment.

Here's the pic of the old engine. Thats the gearbox next to it.

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800-img_20220803_200126.jpg

The old engine was not strong enough for a rebuild.
The customer didnt experience much refinement and it also gave him approx. 5-6 kmpl.
So he decided to change the whole setup and make it original , refined , silent and no extra mods.

He has planned greater restoration plans for this car in taking opinions and concerns from my dad and a fellow technician who who used to work at HM manufacturing plant in his good old days.

We have planned to restore it back to mint condition and bring it back to the old showroom look which he had at 1998. But a bit different in appearance.

Main focus is on making it run like a daily drive and having it not too fancy.

For now the engine work is taking place. We are planning to start the underbody and running board works as the body is free.

The engine work is being done neatly and precisely by our mechanic who is an expert in engine rebuilding,who has 25 years experience in laying hands on various beauties and machines. He has rebuilt gallardo engines and various other vintage toys.

Im not disclosing all the facts in one single post. Lots more to come. But it will take time. But im damn sure its worth the wait.

Will be posting next update of project very soon. Stay tuned.
Faith Aby is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 18:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800

Very proud to read of a comparatively newer Ambassador getting restored. The earlier engine swap of the HM Stride/BMC 1489 cc/ 37 bhp diesel by the owner it is apparent was purely for fuel economy reasons and the five speed gearbox mating with the archaic diesel is a bit indigestible.

The ISZ 1800 (1817cc/ OHC/75 PS @ 5000 rpm/ 130 Nm @ 3000 rpm) petrol engine will go ideally with the 5-speed gearbox. I remember a road test of this car in Auto India magazine from 1992, where it said that then new petrol Isuzu engine gives the car "a wolf in sheep's clothing" like appearance. It gave a new lease of life to this ageing design during those years.

The ISZ 1800 engine was sourced by HM since around 1985-86 but only restricted for VVIP cars after Mrs Indira Gandhi, our PM was assassinated in 1984. The new security blue book required armour plated cars with bullet proof glasses for the VVIP's. The extra mass added required a newer power plant as the older 1489 cc/ 55 bhp/ BMC B-Series engine with its ancient design could not comply and did not fit into the scenario.

It was only in 1992 that this new engine was offered for sale to the general public. Fullbore Motors, UK had imported quite many examples into the U.K. sprucing these up for their local market purely for nostalgic reasons. Fortunately, many of these still survive in the U.K. and are chiefly used as wedding cars that are available on hire.

But despite the upgraded engine and gearbox in 1992, HM's workmanship continued to remain poor to pathetic and the body panels coming loose or rattling, metal rusting, poor quality of plastics and poor fit and finish marred the overall outlook for the buyers of this car, when newer technology was being introduced by peers into our market.

The car in question is just 24 years old, but was subjected to apathy lately and was located somewhere nearer to the sea coast where the climatic factors and neglect could have taken their toll on it.

The car is iconic for India and examples are permanently disappearing from all over. The recent West Bengal NGT order to scrap all private and commercial 15 year or older cars, trucks and buses etc, will take a very, very heavy toll on the Ambassador population in its heartland, that was once the Ambassador capital of India. So much so, that the last Ambassador taxi in Kolkata may get scrapped by 2029 !

My best wishes for the restoration project.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th August 2022 at 18:49.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 08:36   #3

Thanks for the information. Didn't know there were deep and particular reasons for its vanishing.

Talking out of topic. I see that Landmaster in your DP, and you own one don't you?

Brother, I have a 1956 Landmaster. I am spending most of my life finding the monogram itself. Whereas, yours looks like it's brand new. Is there any way to source parts?

Needed: monograms. fenders and lots more.

Talking of the story of the car is a different route. Long story. Can I get your number or contact platform?

And surprisingly, I too own a 1984 SS80 and Tata Sierra. Kindly pardon me if it's personal or if you wouldn't like to disclose information, please don't. It's nothing. I've been able to fetch parts for Willys, but this one grinds my slippers.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th April 2023 at 08:36. Reason: Edited for better readability
Old 7th August 2022, 09:14   #4
BHPian

IMHO the main reason for HM cars and Padmini to vanish from the Indian car scene was the ineffective cooling system, which required frequent feeding of thirsty radiator. However the advent of Isuzu engines was too late, as Suzuki and Hyundai had taken over.
Very happy to see the legend being restored and truly, its only because of magical hands, such as your dad's, these beauties are still seen on the roads. Keep us posted as the beast evolves.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 08:55   #5

Minor Updates:-

We managed to fetch some parts like door handles, bucket seats , original doorpads, winders , glass panes , chrome beadings . door beading, beading clips, brake cylinders, original monogram, radiator , and much more.

we have opened the heart and the valves are under surgery. have to make sure no oil or water is in excess. have to check the valve clearance. and most importantly have to valve placement gap. will be changing the springs if necessary.

the gearbox will be given to a separate set of crew who only do gearbox and spring plates.

the spring plates have lost its extending capability. so have to change them or swap it with old cl500 spring plates.

my supplementary exams start this week and ends by the end of the month. pray for me. ive failed in 4 subjects. and i wont be able to post for 1 month. but will be updating if time is convenient.

thank you...
Faith Aby is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

The ISZ 1800 (1817cc/ OHC/75 PS @ 5000 rpm/ 130 Nm @ 3000 rpm) petrol engine will go ideally with the 5-speed gearbox. I remember a road test of this car in Auto India magazine from 1992, where it said that then new petrol Isuzu engine gives the car "a wolf in sheep's clothing" like appearance. It gave a new lease of life to this ageing design during those years.

It was only in 1992 that this new engine was offered for sale to the general public.
Agree 100% Anjan. It was indeed a "wolf".

Unfortunately some people like my late mother did not like paying the petrol price those (even) days. She forced me to change the ISZ 1800 of my 1995 Amby to Diesel. I changed it to a brand new ISZ1800 D from HM in 1999. The car by then had done 36,000 KM on Petrol. To be honest the Diesel Isuzu was no slow coach and I really enjoyed that too in my visits to India. The car is even now with a friend and doing really well in all departments.

I kept the ISZ 1800 petrol with me as I wanted to do a project Jeep with that which never happened.

Its still bolted on the cage in which the ISZ Diesel came from HM Factory and stored in my Car Shed in my house in Trivandrum

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800-amby-eng-pic-3.jpeg

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800-amby-eng-pic-4.jpeg

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800-amby-eng-pic-5.jpeg

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800-amby-eng-pic-6.jpeg

Restoring a 1998 HM Ambassador ISZ 1800-amby-eng-pic-7.jpeg

Happy Restoration Aby

Best Regards & Ride Safe

The petrol engine

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 15th August 2022 at 13:31.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks