Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 16:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

replaced palio starter mechanism

hey ppl,

was having some issues with a palio 1.2 elx.. on certain occasions it would not start . turning the key would give no response , ie it wouldnt even crank . first thought it was a battery issue but turned out fine

later took it to sundaram they said that it could be a problem with the starting mechanism.. first they replaced some starter sensor for 1.2k and then later on inspecting the starter motor/ mechanism said that it was totally worn out and needed to be overhauled (cost 3.5k) i said fine and gave it in

after a day they call and said that all parts are on their last legs and the entire starter mechanism needs to be replaced . (cost now 5k+ the 1.2k for faulty sensor)

service engineer said that starting probs are common around 30k kms (my car has done 35k) but havent really seen any mention of it here or at pug so just thought id get thoughts of members about this

will get details of exact parts replaced when i collect vehicle
Old 25th June 2007, 16:44   #2
BHPian

I do read it quite that "This problem is common in this car". Not in fiat but all other cars too. I do read it quite often whenever any of the strange behaviour happens to the car they say the same thing.
Old 25th June 2007, 16:58   #3
BHPian

I too had a similar issue a month and half back. My starter motor burned. It had driven about 60 odd kilometers in Sweltering heat of chennai with a fully loaded car Luggage and people. Came back home parked the car , next day found that the car does not start and the battery was dead. The culprit turned out to be a short circuited starter motor. Got it replaced for a tad less than 5 K
Old 25th June 2007, 17:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Dont give it in bottle. Spank their backsides and make them do it right. IT IS NOT A COMMON PROBLEM but some starter solenoids of a particular batch were faulty. Guess that could be the issue?
Old 25th June 2007, 17:13   #5
BHPian

My Siena's done 65K plus, a matiz that's done 80K plus, the starter has had no issues. Look for other explanations before agreeing.

Superavi
Old 25th June 2007, 17:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

try to get this done under warranty coz failure at such low mileage is not acceptable.
Old 25th June 2007, 17:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

well have already commited so dont think i can back out now.. wanted to get it done fast especially after one day engine died in middle of junction making a u turn and i wasnt able to start it for a few mins .

will talk to them and get a proper explanation .. explanation given was that all the bushes and bearings were totally worn out so whole unit had to be replaced

edit : also car is out of wty since its crossed 3 years of age
Old 25th June 2007, 17:33   #8
Team-BHP Support

damn 3 years means you really cant do a fight for warranty, atleast ensure the new starter comes with some guarantee
Old 25th June 2007, 17:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

warranty ?
electrical parts don't have warranty ,saar!
Old 25th June 2007, 17:48   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
warranty ?
electrical parts don't have warranty ,saar!
saaaaaar they do have if its a part like starter!! fyi i have replaced iKON window winder motor, now ordered for ignition switch for swift D.

yes bulbs might not have, read manual and they will have the fine print and if you are referring to replacement part, then they also do have depending on the part and also the dealer also will give a time frame in which they can take responsibility.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th June 2007 at 17:49.
Old 25th June 2007, 19:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

I had to replace my starter sensor about a month back. Starting trouble. [35000-odd kms. Palio 1.2 ELX PS petrol, 2002 (Sep)]
Old 25th June 2007, 19:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggu
saaaaaar they do have if its a part like starter!! fyi i have replaced iKON window winder motor, now ordered for ignition switch for swift D.
Im sorry if u got angry. I was trying to say that the service guys use that statement.
@Bottle: Do U always go to the Sundaram A.S.S?
Did u try to procure the starter motor from the open market??
Old 25th June 2007, 19:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
I too had a similar issue a month and half back. My starter motor burned. It had driven about 60 odd kilometers in Sweltering heat of chennai with a fully loaded car Luggage and people. Came back home parked the car , next day found that the car does not start and the battery was dead. The culprit turned out to be a short circuited starter motor. Got it replaced for a tad less than 5 K
any kind of driving would not affect the starter, it's only used to START the engine. and then it stays idle.

battery was dead? there must have been some other short circuit. AFAIK, starter motor is open circuited until you crank it with the key ON. so even if there was a short circuit inside it, it would not be connected to the battery in first place.

My experience (even here in US) has been really bad with mechanics. they are either incompetent, or greedy, when they give the costliest estimate for repairs.
one shop wanted to replace my disc and brake pads. totaling around 400$, all i needed was pad replacement ( cost 60$ with labor). same shop could (would?) not detect a problem with the radiator cap, i am guessing coz it just costs 8$ to replace.
Old 25th June 2007, 19:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

OT:I thought U find good service in the US at every street corner.
Old 25th June 2007, 19:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

sometimes the only problem in the starter is the carbon brushes but the service guys replace the whole thing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks