Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 15:19   #1
BHPian

Gearbox feels a bit tight to shift

Team,

First of all, I would like to thank the entire team behind the smooth functioning of this website. The kind of information available here with appropriate tagging, is a boon for car enthusiasts. I also love the strict rules here with regard to the sensitive off topic conversations. Its peaceful over here.

I have a Ford Ecosport(Diesel) bought in Dec 2015. Has run around 70 kilometers as of now.

Since I continue to work from home, I use my car only once or twice a week. And once in three months I drive to my hometown trichy.

I have this problem of a tight gear box for the last one year. During my last service at Ford, I did inform the guys over there about this issue. They informed me that changing the gear box oil would help. It did help for a little time but the issue is back.

On August 14th I drove to Salem - Trichy - Chennai. On my way to Salem, I had to put in twice the effort to shift gears. From Salem to trichy, it was not that tight but yes additional effort had to be put.

What would be the reason for the issue? How to rectify this, and how much would it cost.

Regards,
Anees

Last edited by Anees_Offl : 17th August 2022 at 15:25.
Anees_Offl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 17:10   #2
BHPian

re: Gearbox feels a bit tight to shift

I can think of two reasons which can cause gears slot with difficulty:

The gear boot, which sits at the bottom of the gear lever. I believe it's a rubber part and wears out with time. Had this issue in my figo diesel.

The other can be a worn out clutch assembly. Was the clutch assembly (clutch plate, pressure plate and the release bearing) changed recently?
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 19:41   #3
BHPian

Re: Gearbox feels a bit tight to shift

Some questions:

1. Is it tight to shift from gear to neutral or neutral to any gear, when engine is running and clutch pressed?

2. Do you feel the same tightness to shift when engine is running and not running?

3. Is there a difference in tightness between Forward and Reverse gears?
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I can think of two reasons which can cause gears slot with difficulty:

The gear boot, which sits at the bottom of the gear lever. I believe it's a rubber part and wears out with time. Had this issue in my figo diesel.

The other can be a worn out clutch assembly. Was the clutch assembly (clutch plate, pressure plate and the release bearing) changed recently?
Thank you.

I am not sure about the gear boot. Probably I need to take it to the service center and check. Also, there was no change in clutch assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Some questions:

1. Is it tight to shift from gear to neutral or neutral to any gear, when engine is running and clutch pressed?

2. Do you feel the same tightness to shift when engine is running and not running?

3. Is there a difference in tightness between Forward and Reverse gears?
A1: Yes, it is very tight when I shift from neutral to 1st, 2nd and 3rd. When I move from 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th it is relatively easy.

A2 : When the engine is not running, the effort is less. When the engine is running, I need to put in more effort.

A3 : No difference. Its the same.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th August 2022 at 16:18. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
Anees_Offl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anees_Offl View Post
A1: Yes, it is very tight when I shift from neutral to 1st, 2nd and 3rd. When I move from 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th it is relatively easy.

A2 : When the engine is not running, the effort is less. When the engine is running, I need to put in more effort.
Based on these 2 answers and your original post, I think you have to find a good mechanic to figure out the following in the same order:

1. Adjust the clutch to see if the issue is solved.
2. Look for the clutch/pressure plate wear and replace if needed. 70k kms seems not that much for a clutch unit, but still you never know. It all depends on the driving style.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 22:12   #6
BHPian

1) First try to adjust clutch by reducing freeplay ie Clutch will start biting at the pedals upper most position while releasing the clutch. Hopefully this solves the problem.

2) Check for free movement of gear shifter cables and greasing of the gear shifting mechanism. Do not replace unnecessarily the cables and gear shifting tower.

3) If you have hydraulic clutch check your CSC (slave cylinder) for leakages or wear. Replacement should solve the problem. But as you said you have no problem in 4th and 5th gear I doubt whether this is the issue. CSC going kaput will make clutch hard irrespective of any gear and it might have impact on shifting forces. -Gearbox needs to be opened.

4) Replace with a new clutch, including the clutch release bearing. - Gearbox needs to be opened.

5) Your synchronizers synchronizing rings are worn out, replace all of them at one go for all they synchronizers. - Gearbox needs overhaul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks