Team-BHP - Swift pushed hard in rains and ghat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Swift pushed hard in rains and ghat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/25627-swift-pushed-hard-rains-ghat.html)

Folks,

Just back from the approax. 1000 KM trip from Kokan and Goa with my new (Dec 2006) Swift.

My baby was pushed through horrible rains, ghats ....
Only good thing was roads were real good with occasional small potholes..

My cousin who is notorious for rash driving, had driven my Swift for couple of hours turning on hairpin bends at high speeds (80-90 kmhr) with full load (5 people) and braking sharply many times....

My concerns are,

1. Should I check suspension, braking system ? I absolutely dont find any problem with them but I feel that they should be checked

2. Can car like Swift take such beating without much wear and tear to importane systems like suspension, gearbox, clutch and brakes ?

Check for brake pad wear or abnormal tyre wear.
Although, the above wouldn't happen in a 1000 km drive.
The conditions that u've quoted sound like track racing conditions.

Quote:

Quote:

My cousin who is notorious for rash driving, had driven my Swift for couple of hours turning on hairpin bends at high speeds (80-90 kmhr) with full load (5 people) and braking sharply many times....

And you sat obliged through the ordeal :Shockked: ? Safety 1st mate .

:Shockked: 90 on a hairpin wow

u need to check the sidewalls of ur tyres ,since ur car was loaded,and if high rpm was maintained during climbing turns with steep gradients, keep an ear for driveshaft noise

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhaybakshi (Post 480555)

:confused: This is nothing to boast about, you should be thankful that you are still safe and dont let him drive like this again.

Its like pushing the car to its limits. Apart from a little extra wear and tear to the brake pads, nothing to worry.

Dont take it for unnecessary check-ups. The less mechanics touch your car, the better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 481020)
:confused: This is nothing to boast about, you should be thankful that you are still safe and dont let him drive like this again.

Absolutely correct dadu,
plus Abhay, I donot agree that your car turned at 80kmph on a hairpin...It Simply cannot !!! You should be thankful to your stars that the car didnt skid, otherwise it would have gone out of control....
Plus assuming that u have a Lxi-Vxi which has 165 JK tyres...it is really risky to do higher speeds in the rain...

Driving in rain is really nice if u r on a trip, u can enjoy the nice surrounding...why speeding up and risking the life...

Enjoy and Take care...
Abhi

Thrill Kills. This is an absolute no-no. You must drill some sense in your cousin's grey matter. And hairpin bends at 80-90? impossible.

You are lucky that the swift did not land in the gorge...

Quote:

Folks, My baby was pushed through horrible rains, ghats ....Only good thing was roads were real good with occasional small potholes..

if the swift can do 80 90 on hair pin bends then either the driver skills should be comended or the car suspension may be modded. with stock suspension it will turn turtle.
so best is u check ur brake pads & suspension (if its stock) btw if its stock and no damage if u still intend to give ur friend to drive then do fix some aftermarket BRACES.

Your Friend (Driver): Unlucky to be alive.
Your Other Friends: Luck to be Alive.
You: Dont know if I can post a comment on you, which would justify.

PLease dont try your thrills with others at lives at stake!!!!!!

Abhay, I don't think you have to get anything checked as of now. Your car is still new and I can understand your anxiety - but I think most cars can take this abuse early on.

Everyone likes honing their rally skills on someone else's car. Don't be that someone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanu28 (Post 483017)
Your Friend (Driver): Unlucky to be alive.
Your Other Friends: Luck to be Alive.
You: Dont know if I can post a comment on you, which would justify.
PLease dont try your thrills with others at lives at stake!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 481020)

Guys,

Dont think he is happy with the situation nor is he boasting of it (I hope am not wrong)
He might have been helpless in the situation. Let him explain.
If he were boasting, would he probably ask like this?

Quote:

1. Should I check suspension, braking system ? I absolutely dont find any problem with them but I feel that they should be checked
2. Can car like Swift take such beating without much wear and tear to importane systems like suspension, gearbox, clutch and brakes ?