Team-BHP - WagonR - LPG or CNG?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   WagonR - LPG or CNG? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/25693-wagonr-lpg-cng.html)

Hi, to All.

I am confused on my wagaon-r i bought it in november 2005, and i am interested in conversion either LPG or CNG. i visited most of the shops in mumbai and some recommended me to put LPG and some for CNG.
as various guy has various inputs.
My daliy average is aroung 30-50 km per day.
i want to have cost cut on my petrol

so please advice what should i have a cng or LPG ???

Thanks in Advance

Imran Kasu
Mumbai.

Hi Imran, Welcome to Team-BHP.

For a comparison between LPG and CNG, please refer to the following:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...mparision.html

And do put up a proper introduction of yourself.

I guess LPG should be better!

I own a WagonR myself. But petrol model.

Hi,

I feel u should go for LPG....unless you have good availability of CNG filling stations.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by imran_kasu (Post 482385)
Hi, to All.

I am confused on my wagaon-r i bought it in november 2005, and i am interested in conversion either LPG or CNG. i visited most of the shops in mumbai and some recommended me to put LPG and some for CNG.
as various guy has various inputs.
My daliy average is aroung 30-50 km per day.
i want to have cost cut on my petrol

so please advice what should i have a cng or LPG ???

Thanks in Advance

Imran Kasu
Mumbai.

go for lpg as ihave used it for 70K km with no problem.cng only benifit is runnig cost per km is less rest all minus points. if u decide to do any conversion do inform i will provide u with some points to ponder while doing conversion
nirav

CNG with Lamda Control is the best option, You get more mileage than petrol or LPG.

Safety aspect, keeps CNG over LPG

Low Carbon Deposit in the Engine, Since Gas does not leave behind carbon, Unlike LPG or Petrol which leave Carbon.

But Yes ! You will not get the same performance, However its not something which is degraded.

The Car will work fine with CNG in High speeds, For sudden pickups you will need to lower gears.

Check the Thread link as posted above and make your choice.

@ Mira, Could you highlight What points you are talking about( The All Minus Points of CNG) and Secondly, This is a Non Commercial Forum, Please restrict your answers or response that ways.

Hi,
I own a wagon R from 2004 and have never thought of going to LPG/CNG as the FE is averaging 16kmpl (City-w/o ac). It also depends on how you drive. I feel there is no need for the same. Moreover, if you go for LPG/CNG, the power is definately going to come down......Do think again and take a decision.

30-50kms per day that is 40 avg X 365 = 14600kms per year considering 15kmpl on petrol its 974 liters approx which cost (52 per lt) 50648. make it 51k.
conversion to lpg sequential 45k
at 15kmpl to drive 15000 kms will cost you 1000 liters X23rs =23k
money save or difference 28k
------------------------------------
45+23=68k-28k= 40k to be recovered . so you drive for one and half year more to recover the money spent. after two and half years the advantage starts.

conversion to lambda lpg kit
at 11kmpl to drive 15000 kms will cost you 1364 liters X23rs =31.4k
money save or difference 20k
------------------------------------
25+31.4=56.4k-20k= 36.4k to be recovered . so you drive for one and half year more to recover the money spent. after two and half years the advantage starts.

mathematically sequential is proving to be better since all figures are conservative and you will actually get more than petrol on lpg in sequential after tuning with no power loss and no detonation( this is important)
DO NOT TRY TO FIT NON LAMBDA KIT IN MPFI CARS.

similarly it will work out for cng for the type of kit.if the car runs mostly in mumbai go for cng since cng sequential has no noticeable power drop and mileage cost less than a rupee per km. kit price i am not sure but will be under 70 but it is money well spent if you want more mileage.
if you are going to change car after three years do you think all required? this will have to be a 5 year plan.

if you plan to change cars to similar engine size 4 cylinder to 4 cylinder the sequential injection part can be retained and reinstalled on new year from the time its new and you stand to gain there more. additional cost will be 20k only. for wagon r kit (i think its 3 cylinder) to be reuseable please ask the dealer.

@ Mira, Could you highlight What points you are talking about( The All Minus Points of CNG) and Secondly, This is a Non Commercial Forum, Please restrict your answers or response that ways.[/quote]

hi wolfinstein,
sure i will give u my view on why i told rest all minus points. First of all i am believer that lpg is more safe. eyebrows up. Its because of difference in pressure between the two and also due to the absence of any safety valve in cng.
In lpg there is a device called multi valve which has multiple valves in it according to its name. There are two safety valves in it first the solenoid valve which shutoff the gas as and when the vehical engine is stopped in any case accident or driving mistake. second valve is a flow control valve which stops the flow of gas automatically even if the lines are opened totally. If the gas excess than the engine requirement flows from the pipe line i.e in leakage situation it automatically stops the flow of gas.

Where as in cng there is a manual tap type on/off cock which is used to shut the gas. from the tank. Now if gas is due to any reason gets lekage no one can stop that by shuting of that manual cock. During the time of accident no has time to go and stop that cock.So due to very high pressure and quantity of gas released during the leakage is very high.
Recently if u might have heard the case of surat. Two cng tanks of a bus got bursted during filling gas and 2 peoples died and ive injured. this is what pressure can do.

LPG has been criticised for safety for the reason it was started using that red domestic cylinders. But now its full proof tank with safety valves which is tested above 400 degree temp.

Also there is no carbon deposition in lpg. It is same as cng no difference in it.I have used lpg in my wagonr for 70000. converted at just mere 356 km. Recently i had opened the engine for changing some design of piston and enhance performance it was brand new engine without any wear and tear. I have not replaced piston also and bore also same. all spec o cylinder were standard. So no special benefit of cng for engine where as engine gets to heat more on cng rather than lpg. also weight of heavy cylinder tank does affect ride and handling of small cars like wagonr.
Because of all the above point i am beleiver of lpg over cng. I carry out conversion of both cng and lpg. so no meaning of favour a particular fuel.

This is a Non Commercial Forum, Please restrict your answers or response that ways.[/quote]

Ya i know this my friend. Imran is from banglore and i from gujarat ankleshwar. So imran will not come at my workshop for conversion so there was no any commercial intention in it. I have created few checklist for customer what he should take care before conversion that only i provide by telling him to contact me. That point i am sending u also and reply for any commercial intent in it.
I provide below points only when any one has finally decide to fit the kit and also decided to install kit . Imran is just thinking so i did not provided him with it so i told to contact him.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana])Select appropriate size of tank.
2)Install vaporizer of gas kit vertical parallel to the direction of vehical running.
3)wiring joints must be well soldered not just twisting
4)no original wiring must be damaged
5)dont allow usage of punch to drill holes , use only drill machine for it
6)coolent hoses must of of good quality and must not be in tension and bent sharply
7)copper pipe line for gas must be at least a feet away form silencer.
8)install switch in dash in such a way that its illumated lights does not glow strong on ur eyes during night as there are many lights in the switch.
most imp point:
* use bigger mixers as possible to get better mileage and fuel efficiency. its inner dia. must not be reduced more than 25% than its butterfly size.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]

@ Mira..Boy I think you got a lot of CNG Myths confused..!

Firstly the Solenoid Valve is there in the CNG kit..Secondly The Safety Valve you are talking of the Manual one is there along with Auto Stepper Module as with the New Lamda Advanced ECU which manages these along with Lamda Mixture Regulation. So it pumps only the required amount of gas as pre-programmed by the controller, The Fuel Pump get's cut off directly now with the Wiring Harness itegrated with the controller.

Every Good CNG system has a Safety Burst Valve, Which in High preassure blows up, shutting off any supply In or Out of the CNG Tank and Lines.

CNG Cylinder is made of Aluminium and Fibre, It weighs 55-60 Kgs when fully loaded , I think thats how much an Avg Indian Passenger would weigh in the Back Seat. So I guess Handling should not be a major issue. ( Cylinder Weight as per RAMA Cylinders, In my XETA)

I guess Cost cutting leads to Safety Compromise...and Yes the Cylinder Aspect, LPG will always remain Flammable at Room Temp irrespective in the Auto LPG Form or in Domestic Cylinder..A leakage is bound to cause safety issues in whatever form..If you maintain a decent system with periodic checks such situations can be avoided, I'm sure you have been following the practice.

CNG is not flammable at room temp, Its lighter than air so it dissipates quickly comparitively to LPG.

I don't think CNG was to blame for shoddy and Unmaintained Bus's driven by our Indian Transporters.

OMV - Move & More.

Lastly, I had asked you to restrict your reply in non commercial sense, Meaning that Don't come with Customer Satisfaction, or what parts you sell to what customers. Unlike the Highlighted response you assumed.