Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2022, 17:50   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tvm
Posts: 5,443
Thanked: 7,351 Times
Default Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Well, now that I have your attention with the thread title it is not the Hilux you think it is. Am I lying if I say these are Hilux brakes? Absolutely not! It is the Hilux brakes! Whilst I was planning and doing this brake upgrade job the Hilux was not in the radar of TKM for a possible India launch, but now that we have the Hilux here in India people can relate to it and thus the title of the thread!

Note: This thread is a continuation of the Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta posted about four years ago. Instead of posting this update as an addendum on the old thread I thought it might be better make a new post.

As mentioned years ago on the old thread I was looking for a solution to the brake related problems with the Crysta 2.8 automatic variant. A large aftermarket brake rotor with a 4 port or 6 pot caliper was the easy option but since this is a daily driver and not a project vehicle and needs to be serviced at Toyota dealerships something that deviated too much from stock was not an option. I wanted something simpler but better than stock.

That meant looking at stock replacement brake kits, but no one really (read that as no Tier 1 manufacturer) made any aftermarket kit for the Innova Crysta and that was a major bummer. But myself being a self proclaimed expert at cross referencing and using cross platform parts to get things done (Maruti Swift "Special" - 1.4L VVT, Unichip Tuned, 112 BHP!)decided to look at it that way.

That meant looking at the IMV platform and researching about and learning the similarities and dissimilarities of each model i.e., The Hilux, The Fortuner and The Innova. Looks are just skin deep but the genetics are bone deep and that is how these three compare amongst each other. It would not be wrong to say that the Innova is more SUV than many SUVs out there and that the Hilux has a version which is more Innova than Fortuner underneath its skin. So now that you have got the gist of where I am going with this let me without much ado get to the crux of the matter.

For this job I looked up brake upgrade options for the Hilux low rider, it is not its real name, the difference between this model and the Hilux sold here is that the low rider version actually sits lower than the regular Hilux everybody have in their minds when they think "hilux". The Hilux low rider has 5 lug wheels, just like the Innova and unlike the big brawny Hilux or the Fortuner and front suspension bits are more Innova than Fortuner, the front end of the chassis is also more Innova than Fortuner and everything else including the looks, the cabs, the load bed, rear suspension are proper Hilux, but its sold only as a 2WD truck where as the big brawny Hilux gets 2WD and 4WD option. So there it is! The secret of Innova brake upgrade!

So once I had the target model in sight it was relatively easy cross referencing the dimension measurements and all with the stock brake setup of the Crysta. I found that DBA Australia had a matching set in their inventory and decided to move in this direction. Of course there was a made for Innova rotor upgrade from a Thailand manufacturer but I did not feel very comfortable going with a relatively unknown (but popular in Thailand) brake manufacturer. DBA is a quality manufacturer and you can trust their parts just like you would trust a brembo.

The below video has all the details of the parts used, part numbers, where I sourced from, at what cost etc etc.. I have had these rotors since the last quarter of 2019 and have used them for three years so far, changed the pads once and I am now using stock pads with these rotors. If you have questions regarding the upgrade do post here and I shall try to answer them. The install was a DIY.



PS: DBA themselves doesn't know that these rotors fit Innova. I have emailed them regarding this cross-compatibility so now they do know.
Sankar is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 18:12   #2
BHPian
 
cs_rajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 309
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Amazing Sankar, you have been the pioneer in Tyre upgrade, suspension upgrade (Bilstein B6) and now brake upgrade for Innova Crysta.
cs_rajesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 22:13   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tvm
Posts: 5,443
Thanked: 7,351 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Toyota's solution to the brake problem was downsizing the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Amazing Sankar, you have been the pioneer in Tyre upgrade, suspension upgrade (Bilstein B6) and now brake upgrade for Innova Crysta.
There is one more that is coming up :-)
Sankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:06   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Awesome work Shankar.

I have a few questions
  1. Can you plz share the logistics details from AU?
  2. Do you have any information on the braking systems of IMV 1 and IMV 2? I have a 2010 Fortuner and have been mulling adding rear disks.
cooldip is offline  
Old 22nd September 2022, 14:05   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tvm
Posts: 5,443
Thanked: 7,351 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
Awesome work Shankar.

I have a few questions
  1. Can you plz share the logistics details from AU?
  2. Do you have any information on the braking systems of IMV 1 and IMV 2? I have a 2010 Fortuner and have been mulling adding rear disks.
1) I bought it from brakesdirect australia and they shipped it to me.
2) During my search for brake upgrade I have come across rear disc conversion option listed for the previous gen fortuner and hilux, but I have not looked those up in detail.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 14:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,808
Thanked: 4,607 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Excellent job Sankar on cross referencing the products between Toyota models.
Also, share how much improvement in braking performance is observed.

In Hyundai stable, the brake pads of 3rd gen Verna(2006 -2011) is compatible with the 1st gen i20 Diesel till (2008-2012). The Verna brake pad has a different compound compared to i20 since Verna had a higher power rating vs the i20 Diesel(110 BHP vs 90 BHP).Also the pad material area is more on the Verna compared to the i20 Diesel. So just slapping on the Verna pads on the i20 Diesel of the aforementioned period will show a good amount of braking improvement on the i20 Diesel. Hyundai has just lifted the pads, rotors and maybe even the calipers onto the i20 and toned down on the pad compound and surface area to cater for the lower powered i20 Diesel compared to Verna .Even the rotors are the same between the old i20 Diesel,3rd Gen Verna and 5th Gen Verna

Verna brake pad
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pad_...brake-6406160/

i20 Diesel brake pad
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pad_...brake-6808213/
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pad_...brake-4866139/

Note- Applicable only to diesel i20. Petrol i20 came with a smaller dia rotor
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 15:25   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
1) I bought it from brakesdirect australia and they shipped it to me.
2) During my search for brake upgrade I have come across rear disc conversion option listed for the previous gen fortuner and hilux, but I have not looked those up in detail.
Thanks so much.

I'll look up brakesdirect. I have seen TerrainTamer kits but couldn't get the logistics sorted.

Australia is the dream spares destination.
cooldip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:55   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tvm
Posts: 5,443
Thanked: 7,351 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Excellent job Sankar on cross referencing the products between Toyota models.
Also, share how much improvement in braking performance is observed.

In Hyundai stable, the brake pads of 3rd gen Verna(2006 -2011) is compatible with the 1st gen i20 Diesel till (2008-2012). The Verna brake pad has a different compound compared to i20 since Verna had a higher power rating vs the i20 Diesel(110 BHP vs 90 BHP).Also the pad material area is more on the Verna compared to the i20 Diesel. So just slapping on the Verna pads on the i20 Diesel of the aforementioned period will show a good amount of braking improvement on the i20 Diesel. Hyundai has just lifted the pads, rotors and maybe even the calipers onto the i20 and toned down on the pad compound and surface area to cater for the lower powered i20 Diesel compared to Verna .Even the rotors are the same between the old i20 Diesel,3rd Gen Verna and 5th Gen Verna

Verna brake pad
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pad_...brake-6406160/

i20 Diesel brake pad
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pad_...brake-6808213/
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pad_...brake-4866139/

Note- Applicable only to diesel i20. Petrol i20 came with a smaller dia rotor
Exactly, this is the advantage of platform sharing and parts sharing. VAG guys use it to their max advantage since there are a lot of brands and a lot of parts that interchange. Back in the days tuned B-Zen and E-Zen needing a larger brakes were installed with Esteem brakes.

The improvement in braking post this upgrade is huge, I will pen down the details in a couple of days.
Sankar is offline  
Old 24th September 2022, 14:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,034
Thanked: 16,209 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Thanks for sharing the details Sankar

I just checked their catalog and found street series brake pads and T2 slotted rotors for S-Cross. Did you try checking if there any dealers in India? Would it be cheaper to source directly from dba ?
Dr.Naren is online now  
Old 24th September 2022, 19:21   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tvm
Posts: 5,443
Thanked: 7,351 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Thanks for sharing the details Sankar

I just checked their catalog and found street series brake pads and T2 slotted rotors for S-Cross. Did you try checking if there any dealers in India? Would it be cheaper to source directly from dba ?
There are people selling DBA brakes in India, now with brake upgrade details published they should be able to offer the upgrade for Crysta. Sourcing through dealer will work out cheaper due to the numbers and shared freight.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th September 2022 at 19:23.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 21:45   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tvm
Posts: 5,443
Thanked: 7,351 Times
Default Re: Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!

Problem with Crysta's stock brakes?

Undersized, especially for the 2.8 automatic if driven fast. They heat up quick and does not shed heat as fast neither can it soak up the heat without developing hot spots. Once cool the brakes are fine again. Problem with the Crysta brakes never was with stopping power, they stop well, initially when cool or allowed to cool. But on repeated braking (even lightly to shed speed) from high speeds brake fade sets this is in addition to brake judder.

More can be read in the original thread here: Brake Upgrade for Innova Crysta (Brake Upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta)


How do these brakes perform?

The rotors I have on the Crysta is DBA street series T2 slotted and the brake pads originally were DBA street performance. They perform great and is much better than the stock. Primarily I don't get brake judder anymore, the only time I got a minor brake judder was when the pads were almost worn out. And secondly, brake fade does not set in early as the stock brakes. I have since replaced the DBA brake pads with stock Toyota brake pads and the braking is still good but DBA pads have a definite advantage here. Note: Stock pads perform better with DBA rotors than they did with stock rotor.


Difference between stock brake rotor and DBA brake rotor?

Hilux brakes for Innova Crysta | Innova Crysta Brake Upgrade!-kp_straight.png

The rotor design and probably better metallurgy with DBA using their own cast iron formula. On the design front they use a pillar vane type brake ventilation which is better than the straight vane stock rotor. DBA calls this Kangaroo Paw design.

Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks