Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 13:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

The esteem, OHC, Baleno & the Lancer are all low slung & hence more aerodynamic which plays a huge part in the acceleration. The swift is not only tall, but also very very fat.
Old 30th June 2007, 13:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The Swift shares some characteristics with the Baleno due to the Baleno head and crank commonality (if I'm wrong pl excuse). The characteristic being power coming in after ~ 3-3.5k rpm. That and the tall gearing on the Swift make it comparitively less responsive in lower gears and capable of a higher end whack than the Esteem, I guess.
Old 1st July 2007, 17:01   #18
BHPian

someone here mentioned that bigger diameter of the tyre only makes the car faster,excuse me for asking you this"but are you in the right state of mind..?" the company does various test's to decide stock tyre size and then according to the power of the car and the body dimension and weight a wheel size is decided,using larger wheel's on a car which is not capable of taking them can lead to drop in power,and as far as i know the swift gear box is a short ratio gear box and the esteem is a tall ratio gear box..please do correct me if i am wrong,this also helps the esteem derive a better fuel mileage in comparision to the swift,ofcourse other factors such as weight of the car and also the torque curve and the fuel maps help in the process..cheers..happy revvin..!
Old 1st July 2007, 17:12   #19
BHPian

Swift has shoter gear ratios than the esteem.

One of the factors making swifts slower is the intake manifold design. On the swift it is optimised more for low to mid RPMs .
Old 1st July 2007, 22:11   #20
BHPian

Feel is difficult to quantify

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
I agree wth you guys in saying that the power to weight ratio is the main cause. I may be talking in layman terms, but figure this out...

Swift is 87 bhp as compares to 85 bhp for esteem. Swift is 1000 kg while esteem is 870 kg. Since both are almost same in power and going by the 'power to weight ratio' logic, what happens if i seat just two adults (other then driver), the weight of esteem will become more then the unladen swift. Logically, it should be outperformed by the Swift now...!

But still Esteem is faster I suppose.. As far as the wheel dia is concerned, a larger Dia wheel will only increase the vehicle speed...
Akash feel is difficult to quantify. May be you can check the approximate seconds to certain speed for both the cars, Esteem probably with two adults to bring it closer to the weight of Swift.

I always felt bigger/ heavier cars conceal the feel, e.g Mercury Sable, Camry did not give the same fast feel like corolla and civic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks