Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2022, 07:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Major engine problem in a 40-day-old Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
It’ll be done at the dealers workshop with the help of experts.
Good to hear that you a have a solution, however i have a doubt - who are these experts?

During vehicle build, engines are fitted by assembly line workers and in case of any issues/refurb the engines are removed and fitted back by workshop SA/mechanics.

Considering this would it not be better to be done by the workshop folks?
kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 07:58   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My brother will be physically present at the workshop when they’ll install the new engine.
It will be difficult to see the new car being ripped apart. My advice will be to check if you can somehow convince the dealership to buy this back. They can use this for Demo and sell it later. Even if it means losing some money, consider an expense.

If they don't agree, ask for an additional warranty and service pack directly from the manufacturer.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 10:00   #33
BHPian

Another day, another manufacturing defect in a brand new Jeep. Worst part is, FCA India doesn’t seem to care until the owner makes noise on various platforms. Dealers always seem to be clueless and blame the factory. Engine is the heart of a vehicle. If a faulty engine came from the factory they should ideally change the entire car. It seems when buying a Jeep you never know if it will run flawlessly or turn out to be a lemon. It’s like tossing a coin.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 12:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I think slowly Jeep is developing the reputation of the most unreliable car in modern times, the number of horror stories for jeep keep increasing.
What do you mean "is developing"?. If you just hit a Google search with the words "Jeep most unreliable manufacturer" you'll notice every other country from UK to Australia list them at the top for cars with most issues. And these are based on owner's reports.

At no point has FCA been ranked as a reliable manufacturer. They're on par with JLR in terms of reliability.
Nithesh_M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 15:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
What are the issues that you are facing ?
Unstable rpms after a long city driving or highway with irregular vibrations on steering wheel. The pull of the engine takes a huge dip and so does the mileage.
For Example: The duration when the rpms become unstable, the mileage on the multi-information display will drop to under 10kmpl while I would be getting above 12 kmpl overall.
There is no check engine light or any sort of error. Fuel pump and air mass sensors have been replaced under warranty and the throttle body is found clean. The ASC is clueless about the errors. Injectors are my another doubt but I have been suffering from this since last 1 year and don’t have that much time or energy to deal with this. Hence considering selling it off.
On an additional note, I have started suggesting people not to buy Compass, as I have never seen such a clueless, incompetent and unsupportive team of employees that too from a brand which flaunts more than 70 years of existence in automobile industry.
vtecblast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 17:42   #36

I used to be surprised at the number of 1, 2 year old Compasses go for deep discounts on the used market. Mystery solved I guess.
surya.drives is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 00:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecblast View Post
Unstable rpms after a long city driving or highway with irregular vibrations on steering wheel. The pull of the engine takes a huge dip and so does the mileage.
For Example: The duration when the rpms become unstable, the mileage on the multi-information display will drop to under 10kmpl while I would be getting above 12 kmpl overall.
There is no check engine light or any sort of error. Fuel pump and air mass sensors have been replaced under warranty and the throttle body is found clean. The ASC is clueless about the errors. Injectors are my another doubt but I have been suffering from this since last 1 year and don’t have that much time or energy to deal with this. Hence considering selling it off.
On an additional note, I have started suggesting people not to buy Compass, as I have never seen such a clueless, incompetent and unsupportive team of employees that too from a brand which flaunts more than 70 years of existence in automobile industry.
Rpm dancing after a city drive or spirited drive on the highway is an issue with the Duster AWDs as well. I keep getting that time to time in my Duster and so does other Duster AWD owners. All four injectors were changed and it’s still happens sometimes when the AC is off. If you switch it on or move the steering it goes back to normal. As a matter of fact I have seen the same thing in my friend’s Seltos Diesel GTLine. However in the Seltos the rpm needle stays stable, but from the engine idle noise it is pretty apparent that the rpm is unstable exactly like it happens in the Duster and the engine shakes. However didn’t see any dip in power or mileage. My compass diesel AT is just 2 weeks old but will keep a lookout for this. By the way are you part of the all India Jeep group ?

Last edited by Altocumulus : 30th October 2022 at 00:50.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 04:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Rpm dancing after a city drive or spirited drive on the highway is an issue with the Duster AWDs as well. I keep getting that time to time in my Duster and so does other Duster AWD owners. All four injectors were changed and it’s still happens sometimes when the AC is off. If you switch it on or move the steering it goes back to normal. As a matter of fact I have seen the same thing in my friend’s Seltos Diesel GTLine. However in the Seltos the rpm needle stays stable, but from the engine idle noise it is pretty apparent that the rpm is unstable exactly like it happens in the Duster and the engine shakes. However didn’t see any dip in power or mileage. My compass diesel AT is just 2 weeks old but will keep a lookout for this.
Initially while diagnosing the problem on my own whenever this thing used to get started I used to switch off the AC to see if it’s affecting the thing in any way. But found no difference. Like the Seltos you mentioned, even Compass’ tachometer displays stable needle.
Due to some work I have to travel to Delhi pretty often. In the traffic conditions of Delhi-NCR, this problem’s frequency is pretty often. The AC’s cooling effectiveness has also found to be reduced.
Few observations :
  • Turn the car off and restart it, the problem will solve. Like the old PCs.
  • The car would hesitate to pick the pace if upshift at ~1.700 rpms. Revv it upto 2000rpms the car will run. All of this process involves ALOT of jerks and hesitation from the engine. This thing only brought me to the conclusion of low fuel pressure from fuel pump, or maybe fuel pump overheating. So got it replaced under warranty, but the problem still stays
  • Oil temperatures and Coolant temperatures according to Multi-Information Display is found to be normal.
  • Start/ Stop function will stop functioning during this course. Restart the vehicle this will start working again.

Quote:
By the way are you part of the all India Jeep group ?
Yes.
vtecblast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 12:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Another day, another manufacturing defect in a brand new Jeep. Worst part is, FCA India doesn’t seem to care until the owner makes noise on various platforms. Dealers always seem to be clueless and blame the factory. Engine is the heart of a vehicle. If a faulty engine came from the factory they should ideally change the entire car. It seems when buying a Jeep you never know if it will run flawlessly or turn out to be a lemon. It’s like tossing a coin.
Completely agree! A new vehicle (Jeep or any other brand) should not have niggles in the first place - the QC division should play its role seriously considering the steep budget they are allocated year on year (holds true for all automobile manufacturers). A defective engine is absolutely unpardonable. Replacing the car (irrespective of statutory obligations and legalities) is the least one should expect in such cases (if not for full refund with applicable interest). If a vehicle is not reliable on city roads / smooth tarmac how can one on earth expect it to perform in off-road conditions? '4x4' might sound fancy but would be a complete misnomer in reality.

Last edited by Sidjohri : 31st October 2022 at 12:04. Reason: grammar
Sidjohri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:47   #40

Quote:
. By the way are you part of the all India Jeep group ?
OT, which All India Jeep group are you talking about, can you please let me know the details? Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:49   #41
BHPian

I hope the things get sorted out soon.

There seems to be never ending issues with Jeep Compass, Harrier, Safari and Kushaq and there are enormous painful ownership stories of their owners on Social Media. The perspective buyers should learn something from these bitter experiences and should stay away from these cars. Afterall, no body has got enough time and resources to run from pillar to post to get these issues settled.
Apex1815 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:54   #42
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
There seems to be never ending issues with Jeep Compass, Harrier, Safari and Kushaq and there are enormous painful ownership stories of their owners on Social Media. The perspective buyers should learn something from these bitter experiences and should stay away from these cars. Afterall, no body has got enough time and resources to run from pillar to post to get these issues settled.
Absolutely agree here. All the issues reported in this forum or other websites/YT etc. are from the owners who have faced it and until these issues are resolved or to a large extent, one should keep away from such product consideration.

Let's not be too sentimental for Vocal for Local or Make in India type statements. It doesn't help by any means when product issues occur!
RRM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 10:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
FCA plant in Pune is shared between Jeep and Tata so not sure who is learning from whom in terms of QC checks. The same engine is used in Hector too however we have not observed issues being reported in forum. Either MG has its own strong QC or no doubt that there customer service is among the best in current scenario.
I agree with this. Others seems to have less issues with the same Engine than Jeep themselves. Maybe Jeep is using the refurbished engines for their own machines that Tata/MG are rejecting in QC as a cost cutting measure? I wouldn't put doing this past them.

Hell, even Tata is having less issues with this than Jeep. And we don't hear about any such issues with Hector. Both of them move much higher volumes than Compass.

To be honest, if I made a car that had the same engine from other cars that cost almost half and purchasers knew about the car's unreliability, my lack of support, and to top it off I supported the dealer who beat up a customer for expressing his frustration on lack of support and people still kept on purchasing my car, I would also stop caring. I will try to milk the consumers as much as possible from a point of view of a crony capitalist company because bad PR doesn't seem to be affecting me at all.

So much for a Chinese car maker vs an American one. There is miles of difference in quality between these 2.

Last edited by anti21 : 1st December 2022 at 10:11.
anti21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 12:46   #44
agm
BHPian

Hello friends,

I’m happy to inform everyone that the engine was replaced with a new one. My brother has been driving his Compass since couple of weeks and is very satisfied with the work done by the workshop. Really appreciate each and very member for their valuable inputs and suggestions. Thanks
agm is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 13:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,

I’m happy to inform everyone that the engine was replaced with a new one. My brother has been driving his Compass since couple of weeks and is very satisfied with the work done by the workshop. Really appreciate each and very member for their valuable inputs and suggestions. Thanks
Hi AGM, good to hear that the issue was amicably resolved. I had a few questions. As of the replaced engine, did the new engine come with a pre stamped engine number (new number), was it blank or had the engine number same as what was in your vehicle (pre stamped from plant).

The reason for this is that the engine number physically on the vehicle and the one on the RC should be the same. Incase not, it becomes a big issue incase of a major loss insurance claim. The claim would be out rightly be rejected.

Please check on these details. Incase its a new engine number, please have it updated with the RTO and get a new RC copy.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks