Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2022, 17:15   #1
agm
BHPian

Major engine problem in a 40-day-old Jeep Compass

Hello fellow team-bhpians,

I am reaching out on behalf of my Brother who purchased Jeep Compass diesel 4*4 automatic limited (O) on 8th September 2022 from Car Planet Enterprises Pvt Ltd, Raipur. Within 40 days of delivery, and barely driving few hundred KMs his car ran into serious engine issue.
I am quoting his ordeal below for you all to read. The same has been posted on twitter but the issue seems to be going nowhere as of now.

My jeep compass diesel 4*4 automatic limited (O) experience - first 40 days
1. Vehicle bought on 8th September 2022, was lying idle at home for 10 days waiting for RTO
2. Started using it around 18th September - normal driving , did not exceed speed above 80 kmph.
3. On 19th October 2022, while on a drive, engine suddenly shutoff and refused to start. Tried 3 times.
4. Called RSA immediately and got the vehicle towed to the dealership same day 19th October 2022. 1100 km on the odo at the time tow truck took the vehicle to the dealer workshop.
5. I called dealer next day, they said they could not diagnose the problem.
6. I visited the dealership on 21st October, then they verbally told me that engine has
frozen and there's a shaft which broke .
7. I wrote mails to service.indiajeep@stellantis.com
gm.sales@carplanet.org.in jeep.india@fcaindiagroup.com
Stating the issue . No response till date.
8. I have requested for a entirely new car with exact same specification or if that is not possible a new engine being fitted at the manufacturing unit as against the dealer workshop to ensure proper QA. No response to this either.
9. Planning legal action if no response by week ending 30th October.
10. Owner: Premal Mishra
VIN: MCANJRCY7NFA96253*7N
Date of purchase: 8th September 2022 Problem occurred: 19th October
Vehicle current location: at dealer workshop. Dealer: Car Planet Enterprises Pvt Ltd, .
Raipur Chhattisgarh. India

Last edited by agm : 26th October 2022 at 17:40.
agm is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 17:33   #2
BHPian

re: Major engine problem in a 40-day-old Jeep Compass

The scary stories of Jeeps & Tata's don't seem to have an end.

I honestly do not know how to console you regarding your experience with your brand new car. I cannot even imagine the pain one would go through when a brand new vehicle breaks on the road.

Would you please clarify the following:
- How many Kms your jeep has done when you called RSA? How many Kms it was on Odo when delivered?
- Any red flags during PDI? Especially with the sales men behavior?
- Any warning lights on speedo/console?

Last edited by Mustang_Boss : 26th October 2022 at 17:37. Reason: Adding value
Mustang_Boss is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 17:48   #3
BHPian

This is completely unacceptable from a new car.

Was there engine oil in the car when you spotted the problem?
Any strange noises from the car which increased gradually uptil the engine seizure?
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 18:59   #4
RRM
BHPian

Absolutely unacceptable from a brand like Jeep. Why is that once the product is sold, everyone in the chain goes on silent mode be it sales head or service head or any one from the company itself. I would say try to push them hard to accept and take action. Speak not over phone but meeting them in person and if you know a advocate take him along to put some pressure.

This scenario should be fairly easy for the dealership to reach out to the company and ask for the replacement engine as the issue is genuine. It also depends on how the case is presented to the factory and the factory technical person may be also interested in doing an investigation.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2022 at 19:11. Reason: Please use periods at the end of sentences. Thanks :)
RRM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I think slowly Jeep is developing the reputation of the most unreliable car in modern times, the number of horror stories for jeep keep increasing.

To the credit of tata motors, they actually respond and try to help, Jeep on the other hand seems to just ignore such issues.

Sad for the owner and my confidence in Jeep keeps going down everytime I read a thread like this. Hopefully a resolution is found out quickly and Jeep fixes this.
AtheK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:35   #6
BHPian

I am hopeful that the solution will be found (like it was done for vinitbhavi) due to the power of team-bhp portal. Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 26th October 2022 at 19:36.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:48   #7
BHPian

Friend problem can occur in any car of any company, this is bad luck for the customer. the best company is one that solves the customer's problem quickly. I hope your issue may be solved soon.
amrit_bareta is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th October 2022, 08:05   #8
agm
BHPian

Re: Major engine problem in a 40-day-old Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post

Would you please clarify the following:
- How many Kms your jeep has done when you called RSA? How many Kms it was on Odo when delivered?
- Any red flags during PDI? Especially with the sales men behavior?
- Any warning lights on speedo/console?
1- At the time of delivery it was 38KM on odo. 1138km to be exact when the RSA was called.

2- No red flag whatsoever at the time of PDI. Everything was clean. But when the booking was made the SA had said it’ll take them 30 days at least to deliver the vehicle, Whereas it was delivered within 10 days.

3- No warning light or anything of that sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM View Post

This scenario should be fairly easy for the dealership to reach out to the company and ask for the replacement engine as the issue is genuine.
- On 21st when had gone to speak to them to get an update as they stopped receiving our calls and no reply to any of my mails. They said there is a manufacturing defect and same has been communicated to company through e-mail. Now waiting for their response and only then we’ll have a clearer picture. They also added that 90% chances are company will approve complete engine change. At worse case scenario they’ll ask to change parts which has gone bad, on this we categorically refused to accept. We demanded a new engine and nothing less, if entirely new car can’t be given to us.
agm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 08:32   #9
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
1- They also added that 90% chances are company will approve complete engine change. At worse case scenario they’ll ask to change parts which has gone bad, on this we categorically refused to accept. We demanded a new engine and nothing less, if entirely new car can’t be given to us.
Yes, no parts replacement and all. You did the right thing to reject the offer. In all probability the company will try to convince you to get the parts replaced, as replacing with a new engine may be considered as a dent on their reputation. Keep chasing!

Hope fully this issue resolves quicker than expected.
RRM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 08:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

This is really horrible for a new car. Its now almost a week since your last visit. Any update since then (although I imagine a lot of the correspondence would have slowed down given Diwali break).

Good luck and please do keep updating us on this issue.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm so sorry for your bother to go through a new car ownership experience like this.

This, being a major issue, and since no external factors have contributed to the problem, he should be able to get this issue sorted out under warranty. I'm sure the dealership is just waiting for company's direction on how to go about it.

One thing you need to make sure is that, you may not get a new car, but, make sure you get a new engine.

Once again, I'm sorry that this has happened on a brand new car.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this experience.

Few questions. Was the CEL on? Any indications of DEF fluid levels low?

BS6 diesels would shut off and not start if DEF is empty/DPF is clogged. So is that is the case it is nothing major to the engine or vehicle. Let's wait what the dealer says.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Kindly post this Team Bhp link of this thread to Jeep India page on Twitter and also on Facebook if they have one.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
1- At the time of delivery it was 38KM on odo. 1138km to be exact when the RSA was called.

2- No red flag whatsoever at the time of PDI. Everything was clean. But when the booking was made the SA had said it’ll take them 30 days at least to deliver the vehicle, Whereas it was delivered within 10 days.

- They said there is a manufacturing defect and same has been communicated to company through e-mail. ... They also added that 90% chances are company will approve complete engine change.

At worse case scenario they’ll ask to change parts which has gone bad, on this we categorically refused to accept. We demanded a new engine and nothing less, if entirely new car can’t be given to us.
Just a thousand Kilometers and the engine broke down? I am not sure whats going on at FCA plant?

Have you received any written document mentioning it as a manufacturing defect? Most of the times it is verbal, but by luck have they provided any piece of paper mentioning an engine change anywhere.

"Replace Parts which have gone bad? "
If the whole engine is getting replaced, why are they asking for child parts replacement?

Bud, looks like the Game is still ongoing. Please seek confirmation on
- What went bad & Why? and
- Which all parts needs a replacement.
Proceed only after having a confirmation.

You are not going to get all answers in black and white, but pursue for them. This puts enormous pressure on them.

and Also, SAVE the final invoice containing 0/- for engine replacement till the car is with you.

Still my mind says, you should sue them, even though it will be a never ending story. But, you must seek damages & compensation in lieu of the whole crime saga, which is still ongoing.

Its saddening to see so many people being victims of incapable brands, under the "rule of law". It becomes scary the moment one realizes the incompetent and mal-intent people will get away free, leaving others in financial pain.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 17:09   #15
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM View Post
Yes, no parts replacement and all. You did the right thing to reject the offer. In all probability the company will try to convince you to get the parts replaced, as replacing with a new engine may be considered as a dent on their reputation. Keep chasing!
- Yes we are very firm on this. Won’t accept anything less than a new engine. Won’t allow them to resort to trail and error by opening the engine of brand new car and changing some parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Its now almost a week since your last visit. Any update since then (although I imagine a lot of the correspondence would have slowed down given Diwali break).
- Yes it’s been a week and we‘ve been running pillar to post since then for an update. But there was no communication from their end till today afternoon. My brother received a call from dealership this afternoon who later after some discussion connected the call to their head office. They said they’ll get back to us by today evening with a proper solution to this problem, but if engine change is the is the only way forward than it’ll only be done at dealers workshop with the help of an expert(s) and not at the factory. To which my brother said I need all this in writing and they agreed to it. We’re still awaiting their e-mail regarding all what was discussed on phone and future course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
This, being a major issue, and since no external factors have contributed to the problem, he should be able to get this issue sorted out under warranty. I'm sure the dealership is just waiting for company's direction on how to go about it.

One thing you need to make sure is that, you may not get a new car, but, make sure you get a new engine.
- On 21st itself service manager told my brother that this problem is due to manufacturing defect and has nothing to with anyone. Also, he added this is a first for them too. Never in the past they’ve dealt with such problem in any of Jeep Compass. Hence delay in getting at the root cause of the problem.

-We are not budging on this one. Only option which is acceptable to us is a complete new engine. This was conveyed to them both verbally and through mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Few questions. Was the CEL on? Any indications of DEF fluid levels low?
-No problem related to it was mentioned to us after all the diagnose they carried out at the dealership on 21st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Kindly post this Team Bhp link of this thread to Jeep India page on Twitter and also on Facebook if they have one.
- Yes, we’ve already done that on twitter but to no avail. Haven’t received any reply from their official twitter handle. Unfortunately both me and my brother don’t have an Facebook account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Have you received any written document mentioning it as a manufacturing defect? Most of the times it is verbal, but by luck have they provided any piece of paper mentioning an engine change anywhere.

"Replace Parts which have gone bad? "
If the whole engine is getting replaced, why are they asking for child parts replacement?

Bud, looks like the Game is still ongoing. Please seek confirmation on
- What went bad & Why? and
- Which all parts needs a replacement.
Proceed only after having a confirmation.

You are not going to get all answers in black and white, but pursue for them. This puts enormous pressure on them.

and Also, SAVE the final invoice containing 0/- for engine replacement till the car is with you.

Still my mind says, you should sue them, even though it will be a never ending story. But, you must seek damages & compensation in lieu of the whole crime saga, which is still ongoing.
- Since the day his car is at the workshop, he is insisting them to give him all the updates and everything in writing, even the smallest one. He even mailed them multiple times but not once they’ve bothered to reply or give anything in written. As have mentioned above that people at the head office with whom my brother spoke this afternoon have said they’ll reply to his mail with all the details by today evening.

Yes we are prepared to take legal action if they don’t get their act together and if solution given to us is not satisfactory.

Last edited by agm : 27th October 2022 at 17:20.
agm is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks