Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:56   #1
BHPian

Headlight Levelling Feature - Is it really useful ??

The governemt has made it mandatory in all new Indian cars just like the rear seat belts!!

Tell me franky guys, how many of you have actually 'leveled' your head light when the car is loaded before pushing off in the night?? I think no one!! Atleast I never did. In indan roads, the patholes are so big that a mere 15 degree adjuctment of headlight sounds like a joke. I personally think that it is a waste feature which has been made mandatory..

Its very complex too. There a small motors attached to the headlight bulbs whuch are very delicately calibrated. The automobile manufactures could have eailsy supplied a music system as a standard fitment instead this crap in the same cost...

What say...
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:08   #2
BHPian

I do, though I seldom got chance to drive a loaded car at night, but whenever I did, I used this "device" to adjust the headlight beams.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:16   #3
BHPian

[In indan roads, the patholes are so big that a mere 15 degree adjuctment of headlight sounds like a joke. I personally think that it is a waste feature which has been made mandatory..

In these conditions it may be more useful. When the car is fully loaded low beam focus away, you can bring it closer (lower) and see the potholes better.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:22   #4
BANNED

It does help when driving on highways and citys.
In city traffic you don't have to keep your headlights high. In highways it helps.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post

Tell me franky guys, how many of you have actually 'leveled' your head light when the car is loaded before pushing off in the night?? I think no one!!

I do. Regularly. Based on city/highway driving and road conditions. That most users arent even aware such a mechanism exists is another matter.

Using new features eventually boils down to the adaptability of the user.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:42   #6
BHPian

It's true that this is riduculous for the 80-90% of the drivers out there, who don't even know that you're supposed to keep your low beam, not high beam on in the city.

It's handy for knowledgeable drivers, though.

What would increase safety is for people to actually get the message to keep your low beams on!
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

yup always use it.
City with well lit roads low beam with lowest position.
poorly lit or not lighted roads at all within city - low beam in highest position
highway - highbeam with lowest position or if driving faster then highest position.

It also changes if teh car is loaded.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

I do it mostly for my night highway drives with full loads....

In city I dont require it, i always keep low beam fearing my 100W highbeams can cause lots of problem for oncoming traffic...

Abhi
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

In the city during nights if the street is well-lit, I drive with my parking lights on and switch on the fog lamps if it is dark. The HLs in low-beam come on only if it is pitch dark, which is seldom. Also I rarely use the HLs in city since they are HIDs and I'm a bit considerate to the traffic from the opposite side and also to those whom I'm tailing, though others are not so considerate and love to drive with the HLs on high beam.

On Highways it is fog lamps + HLs in low beam. The high beam comes on only if there is an errant maniac on the wheels.

Now, both my trucks don't have a headlight leveller. Is it something that I'm missing?
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

They should have also put those auto HL dimmers, so that the dunderheads who go around with full beam inside the city have the controls taken out of their hands and given to a machine with "artificial" but sensible brains.
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

The HL leveler is quite a gift. Have found it rather useful when driving around the city. keep it right down, because i dont want to blidn the oncoming traffic. During highway driving, its my extra hella fogs and the HLs in Low in center position. pretty effective.
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:45   #12
BHPian

Very usefull feature!!

Well... I use this feature extensively! Sad that none of the vehicle manufacturers/dealers explains the benefits of this feature. To me this is as important as high & low beams!
It is very difficult to narrate the way it should be used during differant situations. One such important situation is during rains when the visibility reduces to alarming levels. In such situations try lowering the HL to the maximum extent and put high beam so that the immediate area infront of your car will be well lit atleast!
what say?!
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yes like most of the others, i regularly use this feature when driving loaded at night.

Drifter
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The governemt has made it mandatory in all new Indian cars just like the rear seat belts!!

Tell me franky guys, how many of you have actually 'leveled' your head light when the car is loaded before pushing off in the night?? I think no one!!
What say...
Well Akash, bet u did not count on TBHP guys! Anyway, use the feature provided, it's a matter of practice, maybe you'll find it useful afterall.
Cheers.
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its very complex too. There a small motors attached to the headlight bulbs whuch are very delicately calibrated.
I'm not sure where you got that information from, but from my experience i have only seen it being controlled by vaccum, which in turn moves the entire reflector mounting.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks