Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:00   #1
BHPian

What is exact use of AC?

( Moderators please move to another thread if this is not the correct thread )

Consider two cases

Case A

It's raining outside and temperature is around 26-28C .
I am inside car in the bumper to bumper traffic. All the windows are closed. Now I turn on the blower in the car which blows the outside air in the car.
I feel OK , but still I feel that something is missing or I am suffocating.

Case B
I am inside car in the bumper to bumper traffic. All the windows are closed. Now I turn on the AC in the car. I don't feel that I am suffocating
I feel GREAT

So my question is does everybody feel like the same , or Am I the chosen One

Going to specifics ,
Does the AC filters the air add some oxygen or does anything which makes it better than normal air?
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:11   #2
BHPian

The AC does TWO things. It cools the air AND it removes moisture. the latter part makes you REALLY feel comfortable, because the drier air will eaporate your sweat fast.

There are two modes for AC. Normally, AC takes outside air, passes it through the cooling coils and distributes inside the vehicle. In the "recirculate" or MAX AC mode, it wil take the inside air and pass it over the cooling coils and blow back. It is useful when the outside temp is so high, or the car was parked in sunshine. But once the system cools down a bit, move to the normal mode.

You would also note that the glass tend to fog when you use the blower alone, especially when it rains outside. IF you turn on AC, the fog will disappear. That is also because AC removes moisture.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well I dont know how to start my friend but the a/c or air conditioner is exactly what its name suggests, it conditions the air.
Definition: A system that cools and dehumidifies air entering the passenger compartment of the car. The system uses a refrigerant to cool the air and carry heat away from the passenger compartment. Major components include a compressor, condenser, evaporator, accumulator or receiver/dryer, and orifice tube or expansion valve.
In our cars this Air Conditioning system lets us enjoy the same comfort that we enjoy at home and at work. At the flick of a switch or the push of a button, we go from unbearable heat to comfortably cool air. When we do not switch on the compressor, the air coming in the passanger compartment is only freah air and when the compressor is switched on, we recieve the same air in a refregerated form and cooled down thats why you feel the difference in the temperature.
Regarding the Filters, they just filter dust particles and other such irritants from entering the passenger compartment to make the air as purified as they can in a way making it better than normal air as it gets cleansed whilst passing through the filters. I hope this is the answer ro your query.

Last edited by V-16 : 3rd July 2007 at 16:17. Reason: add
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

One more thing.

You are in your car, windows closed. Its raining heavily, then your glass will get foggy in mins.

Thats one of the best plus points i feel about ac. Have had real difficulty driving in rains in our old Maruti 800 std.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

No you are not the only chosen one. I too go through the same syndrome, but the reason I feel is that in scenario A, when the blower blows the outside air in the compartment, it also pumps in vehicle exhaust fumes too. Now sinse it is raining, you can't lower the windows, hence it become stuffy after sometime giving that choking feeling.

In scene B, the inside air is recirculated while the compressor is on thus making the environ ment cool. That gives a very soothing feeling and one feels good too.

And please, AC coils don't add oxygen. if that was the case then there wouldn't be a better an cheap option to purify air..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
( Moderators please move to another thread if this is not the correct thread )

Consider two cases

Case A

I am inside car in the bumper to bumper traffic. All the windows are closed. Now I turn on the blower in the car which blows the outside air in the car.
I feel OK , but still I feel that something is missing or I am suffocating.

Case B
I am inside car in the bumper to bumper traffic. All the windows are closed. Now I turn on the AC in the car. I don't feel that I am suffocating
I feel GREAT

Going to specifics ,
Does the AC filters the air add some oxygen or does anything which makes it better than normal air?
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:13   #6
BHPian

hrishig vbmenu_register("postmenu_487550", true); @ i beleive i've understood your query to some extent....

r u the one who feels suffocating inside the car when a/c is swithched on? i'm relating your last statement to this. the a/c (filter??) add fresh air (oxygen in ur words) only in normal mode. in the recirculation mode, same conditioned air is recirculated.

moreover, if u r feeling suffocated inside the car, check these things:
1) check for any compressor gas leakage
2) were u driving in the heavy traffic with a/c in normal mode. smoke, dust and other pollutants might have entered the cabin leading to suffocation
3) check whether you are allergic to pollen? have seen many people with such problems. many higher end cars come with pollen a/c filters
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
And please, AC coils don't add oxygen. if that was the case then there wouldn't be a better an cheap option to purify air..
he has said AC filters and not AC coil.
Ac filters do help if they have been maintained with periodicall checks and normal change as scheduled
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:49   #8
BHPian

Note that in recycle mode the AC is designed to take only 30 - 40% of fresh air as opposed to 100% fresh air in normal mode. In my car (C class), if the recycle in on for more than 30 min, the AC draws in upto 70% fresh air.

And yes, AC removes humidity in addition to chilling the air.
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Ac filters do help if they have been maintained with periodicall checks and normal change as scheduled
A filters job is to fiter air and it does just that. The quality of air will improve if you change the filter regularly but it doesnt increase the oxygen quantity.
Old 4th July 2007, 01:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

Yes, for more oxygen you carry a Manikchand OxyFresh bottled water. That has 300% extra oxygen

On a serious note, AC helps a lot in humid environs. That is why you feel better with the AC on rather than just the blower when it rains outside. The dry air from the AC helps you dry up faster (sweat is evaporated) which in turn cools up your body quickly.

The last I knew no AC (least of all car ACs) in the world acts as a oxygen factory. That will be a bit too much to expect from the poor AC compressor and the cooling coil. The car AC filter on the other hand filters out some of the dust and other floating pollutants. However the advanced filters are also known in some cars that can even filter out minute particles like pollen grains.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th July 2007 at 01:46.
Old 4th July 2007, 08:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
I also feel the same !! That is the reason I always put on the AC when it is raining outside irrespective of the temperature outside....

Ans u should always do this on the highway coz all of sudden water droplets (moisture) start to gather on the screen blocking ur view...

Abhi
Old 4th July 2007, 09:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes, for more oxygen you carry a Manikchand OxyFresh bottled water. That has 300% extra oxygen
That would make it as carcinogenic as cigarettes. Whats this world coming to - even water kills !
Old 4th July 2007, 12:03   #13
BHPian

The human body feels comfortable in conditions which are a combination of temperature and humidity. So, 40 deg C in Delhi with relative humidity at 10%, would feel more comfortable that 30 deg C in Mumbai with relative humidity at 100%. This is because the sweat evaporates faster if humidity is low and as you know, evaporation causes body to cool.

So, the job of the AC is to cool/ heat and also maintain optimum humidity. During rains, the AC helps to control humidity. Sometimes it tends to get cold, which can be controlled by moving the thermostat to midway between hot & cold. AC and heater are used in combination to maintain temperature and humidity.
Old 5th July 2007, 09:57   #14
BHPian

Thanks All for your replies. So in short Ac will cool the air + removes the moisture.

Thanks again
Old 11th January 2009, 12:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
A filters job is to filter air and it does just that. The quality of air will improve if you change the filter regularly but it doesn't increase the oxygen quantity.
How frequent we need to change AC filter? May be it depends on your driving conditions.
For a city like Bangalore and if I am using always AC on with 50 -50(fresh air and recirculation interval), at what frequency we need to change AC filter.
Today my service people asked me to change AC filter, my vehicle has done 15K km in 13 months.
How we can find out if the filter is gone beyond cleaning?
What is the cost of Aveo's AC filter?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks