Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Palio nv 1.2 El petrol

I own a palio nv 1.2 (petrol) - 1500 Km done. when i put in the key to self start (i.e, before ignition) the mpfi failure indicator on the dashboard comes on and goes off for a split of a second and then comes on again before it finally goes off. what could be the issue? i hope its not a serious problem with the mpfi system. The car startsnormally after this wiyhout the "mpfi failure light flicking.

There's also a continous 'chi chi' sound from the bonnet/engine while the car is in neutral gear and it returns while picking up from low speeds.

Also the silencer is making a consistent "Furr Furr' noise right from starting the engine. the noise increases when i pick from the first gear and thereafter picking up from low speeds.

Please help!!

Note from mod: Thread moved, please post in the correct section

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd July 2007 at 16:02. Reason: wrong section
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

i seriously think you should get it checked ASAP. With just 1500km i'm sure youa re under warranty. Get it hooked to the analyser and check for errors in the ecu. It could just be some loose connections, a malfunctioning sensor. But since the injection light flickers even before start, it could have something to do with the the injectors.

I cant really give you more but the members at T-BHP wold surely help you out with this. You must also be a PUG/fiatclubindia member on yahoogroups. Post this there. THere are really experienced people on the group.

Just to clarify.
- does the injector light come on / flicker when you experience the noise is heard.
- DO you experience some missing while accelerating from slow speeds.
- What fuel are you using. Are you sure its not an issue of bad fuel
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

As gemithomas mentioned, you should get your car hooked to the ECU analyzer and get it checked as early as you can. This should hopefully be a trivial issue.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:21   #4
BHPian

1500Km on a palio 1.2 nv. That seems to be a new car. you have a stile? or you meant 15000kms. If its a new car then you dont have to worry as you should be soon going for the first service.
Also does the mpfi failure indicator in your case look like a small injector spraying. If thats what you are calling mpfi failure indicator then you dont have to worry.

Last edited by rishibravo : 3rd July 2007 at 16:23.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:22   #5
BHPian

Thanks gemithomas!!

Ya the missing is there. the silencer is also making a consistent 'Fur Fur' sound while on neutral and picking up from low speeds.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kapil,
If the fuel pump sign come on & off during the crank (start), it is fine, but if the fuel pump sign stays on after the start, then there is some problem!

And for the 'Chi Chi' and 'Furr furr' sound, better to get it checked at a Fiat Authorised Service center.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:29   #7
BHPian

Yes Rishi, its the 'small injector spraying' that flickers.

Also i bought Palio 1.2 Nv a couple of weeks back. The dealer had it lying in its stock, so i got a good discount on it. the car already done 550 Kms.

Is it a problem.

The car has already been serviced for the first time last Friday but the TATA dealer could not find the fault. Even the silencer is making a 'Fur Fur' noise (as if the engine is missing)
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

finney, i think his indicator flickers when the fuel is being injected before start. Also the sounds he hears while picking up from slow speeds seem to be connected. Doesnt it?

Kapil: please also mention if the car idles irratically. I mean when the engine is running and the car is stationary. Is there anything that you notice. or does the engine run smoothly with the rpm stationary around 8.5 mark.(when engine is hot)

Last edited by gemithomas : 3rd July 2007 at 16:33.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
finney, i think his indicator flickers when the fuel is being injected before start. Also the sounds he hears while picking up from slow speeds seem to be connected. Doesnt it?
Gemi, I think Kapil is referring to the fuel pump / injector spraying sign, and if this sign goes on and off during a crank, it is perfectly normal.

I have no clues about that sounds, better to get it checked at Fiat ASC.
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:08   #10
BHPian

Yes, sometimes the car does idle eratically. What should be the ideal RPM while idling. Since i dont have a RPM metre on board, i gues i need to get it checked at the work shop.
Old 4th July 2007, 14:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Yes, sometimes the car does idle eratically. What should be the ideal RPM while idling. Since i dont have a RPM metre on board, i gues i need to get it checked at the work shop.
get it hooked up with the examiner and get it checked. the idle RPM is 800-900 in my palio 1.2. Moreover please make sure you get the engine oil replaced in the first service since its a 2006 model and must have been standing still for a while.
Old 4th July 2007, 15:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Kapil i have heard that irratic idling is a behaviour seen when there is a faulty EGR (Electronic Gas REcirculation) valve. Get your's checked. Did the TATA guys hook it to the analyser. Was there no errors in the ecu!!!???
Otherwise it mught have something to do with the rpm sensor.
Get these things checked and...
Get it rectified ASAP.
Old 4th July 2007, 16:15   #13
BHPian

Thanks guys, will get it all checked. I am taking the car to the service station on Friday. The dealer here doesnot have trained staff. lets see what happens!!
Old 4th July 2007, 20:30   #14
BHPian

Kapil a word a Caution bcoz recently i got similar problems (my car is not in warranty so had to bear the cost) the problem they found was 3 injector were not and the car was running on a single injector !!
I am pretty sure the Tata-Fiat service stations do some cheats like slight damage so that the next time you come in theres some sure bigger problem for which you will have to shell out fortune on replacing them, if they ever tell you this is the estimate cost of replacement tell them i will get the parts from outside you just charge for labour.
Old 4th July 2007, 20:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
I own a palio nv 1.2 (petrol) - 1500 Km done. when i put in the key to self start (i.e, before ignition) the mpfi failure indicator on the dashboard comes on and goes off for a split of a second and then comes on again before it finally goes off. what could be the issue? i hope its not a serious problem with the mpfi system. The car startsnormally after this wiyhout the "mpfi failure light flicking.

There's also a continous 'chi chi' sound from the bonnet/engine while the car is in neutral gear and it returns while picking up from low speeds.

Also the silencer is making a consistent "Furr Furr' noise right from starting the engine. the noise increases when i pick from the first gear and thereafter picking up from low speeds.

Please help!!
there is no problem with the car.

"chi chi" sound is common and comes from the AC pulley if the belt becomes lose.not a problem but you can get the belt tightened.

"Furr Furr" sounds comes because your silencer or the connecting pipes have rusted and have holes in them.you have to change the silencer or the pipes for this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks