Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred suspension tune?
Soft (comfortable) 79 19.85%
Medium (balance) 259 65.08%
Firm (sporty) 60 15.08%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your preferred suspension tune | Soft (comfortable) vs medium (balance) vs firm (sporty)

I find the suspension tune that my Nissan Terrano has very good for speeds upto 120.
My other car the Eco Sport is a bit on the harsh side.
Before the Terrano I had a Polo trendline which again had a moderately hard suspension, but increase in height of side wall when I changed tires from 175/70R14 to 185/70R14 against the common advice of 185/65R14 improved everything except speedometer accuracy and gave it an heavier steering.
One of my colleagues has a Hexa XMA which has the best suspension of all the cars I regularly drive.

Rahul
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your preferred suspension tune | Soft (comfortable) vs medium (balance) vs firm (sporty)

I have never been able to appreciate the difference between suspension settings. My criteria is suspension noise - the one that makes the least aural drama going over bad roads is the one i prefer.
E.g a friend regularly accompanies me in my Etios, and when he first sat on my Carnival, immediately commented how much he liked the Carnival’s ride. On the other hand, I have been openly criticising the Carnival’s suspension for the amount of noise it makes over the Etios, often complaining how inferior it is to the Etios!

Last edited by rrsteer : 2nd December 2022 at 20:32.
rrsteer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 21:22   #48
BHPian

Voted for Balanced. After owning 2 cars with firm suspension (Kia Sletos GT line turbo petrol and the BMW X1 X Drive) I got the BMW 530d M sport with adaptive suspension and boy what a difference between the former and latter. The 5 series suspension is supple when you want and and gets firmer when desired with a press of a button. In comfort mode, it has a balanced suspension, which I use 80% of time. My X1 has sport suspension and is really very firm.

Last edited by XDriver : 2nd December 2022 at 21:46.
XDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 22:33   #49
BHPian

Voted medium

I was a "firm suspension" guy until my 20s. But now my back begs me to soften up the ride. Unfortunately, both my rides are firm - a ford freestyle and a Bajaj dominar.

My wife absolutely refuses to sit on dominar due to the bone jarring ride. But I swear by both for my highway rides. I have a grin plastered around my face everytime I drive through the ghats.
Old 2nd December 2022, 22:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well tuned suspension - even passive, not actively adjustable - will offer an excellent compromise for most situations. Lotus, Porsche, and now McLaren have nearly perfected the art of suspension setup that ensures their cars are competent on track while being excellent daily and highway cruisers for many years. With active suspension, the options change dramatically - magnetorheological dampers like on the newer Corvettes are so far ahead of the game it's nearly unimaginable.

Of course, none of this accounts for Indian roads. I have yet to see a well tuned OEM suspension setup in India, barring perhaps a few CKD/CBU Mitsubishis.
Old 2nd December 2022, 23:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

I am in the minority group here. For a long drive, I prefer going around 80 kmph in a softer setup rather than above hundred in a medium/hard set up, even if it extends travel time by a bit. Travel fatigue is greatly reduced when I am on a softer suspension set up.
Old 3rd December 2022, 20:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Skoda Octavia
Superb - Yes. It has a soft suspension but Octavia's suspension had always felt medium to firm for me and never felt soft. Not sure if it's just me.
Old 3rd December 2022, 22:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Medium suspension wins out. As best as you can get to jack of all trades. Maybe go up a tyre profile height size or lower the pressure by a couple of points if you mainly drive in the city for an extra bit of comfort
Old 6th December 2022, 16:06   #54
BHPian

Wouldn't mind hard suspension in sedans or low slung cars!

But for MUVs, soft suspensions please!! Don't expect much offroading so keeping exceptions like Gurkha/Thar out of the equation.

Medium suspensions are neihter here nor there.

SO, Kushaq or Grand Vitara can go for soft suspensions, the BMW can stay as it is. Haven't tried Citroen so cannot comment on that.
Old 11th December 2022, 21:46   #55
BHPian

So, my humble Sonet can be very harsh for those at the back. While I don't want her to be a Superb, I would much appreciate your ideas on making her behave. What kind of a suspension will you most recommend? Please keep in mind the owner has no luxury trucks in the garage.
Old 2nd September 2023, 12:12   #56

Well this is my first post so, Mods Please do the needful. I've had the pleasure to start with the Ambassador (yeh, in my Teens) to Tata Mobile to Safari (Dicore), Tata Indica, Hyundai Verna Fluidic (First Gen) to Renault Duster & Current Ford ES Diesel. Ya, I know, I'm a Diesel Guy. The best setup I've loved, varied based on the situations. Verna had the softest Suspension, not to my liking but better half loved it before & during her Pregnancy. Old Safari's, you could have Tea on good straight line roads. But the best of all was the Renault Duster. In Bombay, the Duster would toss you a little, at low speeds, but drive it on freeways & expressways, you know you don't need to slow down for those notorious joints & causal bad roads. It always brought a big Grin on my face. I feel the Ecosport has a stiff suspension. Would love to reduce this stiffness. Any Suggestions?
Old 2nd September 2023, 13:35   #57
BHPian

Can’t vote yet, but my vote goes to firm. I like to have precise handling and think it very important.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks