Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Thinner or spray paint (for my SX4)?

Folks,
How much ever I try to drive carefully, I can't avoid small scratches here & there on my SX4 . Many times when I take out from parking area, I notice some scratches.

Just wondering how best I can touch up these (I saw spray paint thread for other cars, not for SX4 since shade may be different).

Service person used something called a Thinner and I heard about touch spray paint. Which among them is good (mine, Grey color)? Or is there anything else work better?

What brand and where do I get in Bangalore?

Last edited by sathya_nars : 4th July 2007 at 22:05.
Old 4th July 2007, 22:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

thinner on the paint??? The best is to use a rubbing compound if the scratch is big at the service centre.

If it's just small scratch like swirl marks after washing your better off getting a swirl mark remover and D-I-Y. just rub it on once in a month or so. it will keep it shiny as well.
Old 4th July 2007, 22:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

You use fine rubbing compound to remove scratches, but be care full of what compound you use, also liquid silicon polish will help , as they are designed to remove small scratches while polishing.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THINNER .
Old 5th July 2007, 07:46   #4
BANNED

Thinner is something you add to the paint to make it a good consistency for pouring into the spray gun. While brushing it on, you use turpentine. Thinner dissolves paint and unless you want to REMOVE paint, should not be used. If painting is absolutely required, I think spraycans are available, which can be used to spray on the paint.
Old 5th July 2007, 13:52   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys for the replies, guess spray gun is good option. Any idea how much it might cost and where I can get it? Is it just to be sprayed on scratches? Won't it cause irregular layer sizes of paints on body?
Old 5th July 2007, 14:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

No, spray gun is not a good option. Please don't try and spray paint your new car, you may ruin the paintjob.

You may have a metallic finish, it will never match 100% and you will have a patchy car. Your car may be clear coated, your spray on top in places may make your car look terrible.

I would read Vid and Dinar's advice and stick to it, if I was you.
Old 5th July 2007, 16:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

sathya stick to vid n dinars advice!!!

3M has some mild rubbing compounds which you can use to remove minor scratches, rest better to leave it like that or stick to fine brush touch up, get some 50 ml of your shade from the dealer or paint shop.

spraying is for professionals only!! even the can paints will screw up the finish of a good OE paint job.
Old 5th July 2007, 16:18   #8
BHPian

Could you folks explain more on swirl mark remover, D-I-Y & liquid silicon polish? Do I get them in regular accessories shop?
Old 5th July 2007, 16:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Please don't ignore major scratches which have exposed the metal surface. Clean the surface thoroughly with the polishing/rubbing compound and then apply touchup from the 50 ML paint tube/can of your shade which you can easily buy from the dealer.
Old 5th July 2007, 16:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

polish and swirl removers you will get from good accessory shop, rubbing compound you might want to locate your nearest 3m or similar paint product shop
Old 6th July 2007, 09:26   #11
BHPian

I agree with Sam. Modern cars have a clear coat over the actual pigment. If the pigment layer is a metallic paint, this makes it even more difficult to touch up. I have an automotive paint shop, and my employees can match any shade with 100 per cent accuracy, but this will still require a professional to apply. Maximum you can do is to purchase about 50 ml of the exact coulour of your car and touch up a tiny scratch with a fine artist brush, but this is only to prevent the spot from getting rusty. If it's a major scratch, go to a professional.
Old 16th July 2007, 01:00   #12

Pls check out the exact color from Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, Aeroaids Corporation, Aerosol Spray Paint India, Touch up Spray Paint. I have used for my Palio 1.2 ( Silver Frost color) , It exactly match with the original color and It really works out.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Satya - I use a paint pen for the nagging,irritating scratches...not sure whether it'll be a good solution for metallic paints and in a tough shade...but I have a black beast and so that helps...though scratches on a black surface are more...gnaaargh !!!
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:43   #14
BANNED

Do whatever you can but don't use a SPRAY GUN!

Wait till it get a bit more scratched and you can paint the whole panel. That is a safe option.
Old 24th July 2007, 10:57   #15
BHPian

i have a few scratches in my wagon r. my local maruti mechanic said that it can be done by painting the area (i think it's spray, not sure) and then rubbing or buffing to finish it so that it matches perfectly with the non painted area. i havn't given my car for the process. so not sure if this will work or if this is the right method.

Most Viewed