Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 11:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Brand new Jeep Compass | Engine rocker arm failure

This is sad and unfortunate to witness. Hope Jeep provides you full resolution, please don't settle for anything less than a complete engine replacement. Ideally, Jeep should replace the entire car given it's a lemon but there might be hesitation given 80 days have passed since delivery.

On a related note, experiences like these allow Toyota to charge a bomb for their bulletproof reliability. Hope the HyCross doesn't breach the 35L on-road mark.
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 11:29   #17

Really sad to hear about the ordeal you and your family went through.Sheer frustration one has after spending your hard earned money and being stuck in the middle of no where with your family in the middle of the night.

Rocker arm failure is catastrophic for the engine.It can cause your valves to bend, valve seat damage, valve guides damage and damage your cylinder head on the whole

Root cause of the failure could be many things Material failure, Lack of lubrication ,etc

Either way engine has been compromised in the long run niggles related to engine shall reoccur even if its fixed.

Please push for engine replacement , extended warranty and few free services to go with it.

Lets also address the elephant in the room.
Why Jeep Compass and Meridian owners are facing major issues(mind you these are not niggles) regularly ,Stories like these becoming the norm in our forum.
NEWTON-METERS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 12:08   #18
BHPian

This is extremely disappointing to hear.
The minimum expected from Jeep at this point is a complete engine replacement. The best would be for them to replace the entire car.
Engine replacement would mean a lot of internals being opened up and one can never get back the car in original factory spec.

That being said, I'm confused about something the SA said.
Rocker arm failure? But how does a DOHC engine have rocker arms?
Maybe I'm missing something but just thought of asking.
arijitkanrar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 12:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Rocker arm failure and charging problems is very odd, they are not related at all.

In my opinion a rocker arm failure is not necessarily catastrophic. When they fail, they usually break, in which case the respective valve simply doesn’t open. Your engine might still run, but not very well.

Only if due to the rocker failure the respective valve would remain open and really stuck could you see further, possible, damage to other engine components. It would also happen instantly and you would hear some awful noise as the engine stops.

Based on the very first post, I would think this an alternator problem, although usually you would also see a red not charging indication on the dashboard. It might be the battery too.
Not sure how things work on modern Jeeps, but on my old Cherokee, the voltage regulator is not built onto the alternator, but is part of the TCM. Which would be a real PITA if that would be the problem.

The good news: any competent mechanic with access to a voltmeter and a battery charge tester and a proper OBD scanner, should be able to diagnose this in a matter of minutes.

Good luck, let us know what they find.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 12:48   #20
BHPian

Thank you all for the concern and response. This is what I received from jeep CRM team as response to my email " We found the tappet Rocker arms broken. We are working on further observation and resolution of the issue."

Just to add, during the incident, I tried to start the car and it started but when I tried to shift driving modes it used to shutdown the engine. After few tries I gave up as engine did not start at all. There was no warning, No Jerky movement, which is another concern as next time I may not have the luck I had.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th November 2022 at 13:08.
vijucg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 13:29   #21
BHPian

As much as I like the brand Jeep, I'm starting to see it going the Fiat way

- Plenty reliability issues of late, widely reported rattle noises for a 35 L rupee car
- Ever increasing prices which just makes Compass a very average car for the price, not to forget its super small cabin
- A jugaad in the form of Meridian which appears to have become a flop
- A Grand Cherokee at 75+ L which looks like a grown up Compass
- Incompetent monopoly dealerships run by rookie businesses in places like Chennai

If not for the name Jeep, the brand would have been dead by now. If FCA doesn't pull up their socks now, it's game over like Fiat.
CliffHanger is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 14:12   #22
BHPian

Sorry to hear about this ordeal ! This incidence is really horrifying (Vehicle stopping suddenly at midnight in no mans land).

I am no one to comment on your preference of the vehicle Sir but
Majority of Jeep buyers have already shared their horror stories of Jeep ownership which gives enough idea about this car. Sorry, to say that this is not a reliable car.
Anyways, since you have shown your trust in this brand I hope things get settled soon and you may not have to face such situation. Please keep updating the forum of any progress and how Jeep India handled this.
Apex1815 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 14:56   #23
BHPian

If tappet rocker arms broke while starting or running the engine then there is a chance that the cams on the camshaft have been dented or damaged as well. Any imbalance in the camshaft would cause oil seals to leak as well. In this case the entire camshaft assembly including tappets, rocker arms and bearings would need to be replaced in the least.
argchoff is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 15:33   #24
BHPian

Does Jeep India even have a QC department? Do they even work? The situation could have resulted in death.

I think the fault is in us, who still keep purchasing these vehicles even though we know how Jeep and its dealers are. I know it is victim blaming but a quick Jeep Compass Issues or Failure search brings up tonnes of results. Jeep has always been one of the top unreliable brands in car surveys worldwide. Their consumer satisfaction index has also been low. Their response to consumer complaints have been poor.

They offer the same Engine in Meridian and Compass which comes in Safari, Harrier and Hector, all of them alternative options which costs much less than others.

Why do people even bother with this brand?

Jeep's sales have been on a downward slope as I see people are slowly realizing it. I know many people who've shifted to an alternative due to all these issues cropping up. Same with VW/Skoda.

Jeep and VW/Skoda are the two brands I would never consider. Both have very poor QC/Testing, are plagued with issues and have no control over their dealer network. With VW/Skoda at least you get a car that drives a segment above their competitors. With Jeep it is not even that.
anti21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 15:46   #25
BHPian

Re: Major engine problem in a 40-day-old Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
the alternator will bear the brunt of all electrical load afterwards, perhaps leading to this failure.
I agree with these statements. As i have also experience and penned down in the Jeroen's thread regrading the parasites drain even with the running engine.
Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...te-drains.html (Dealing with Electrical parasite drains)

Looking at the multiple battery charging failures on Jeep compass, i think there is some culprit components in the vehicle electricals somewhere responsible for these parasitic drain and finally failure of battery charging. These components could be anything like Electric parking brakes, sun roof, music system, vigilance & monitoring system. What i am guessing is, that some fault in these systems drawing too much current (in engine idle or without engine on), the alternator has to take a brunt and in this process something or the other alternator sub-components are failing like bearing, wirings, pulleys, belts etc.

Last edited by UD17 : 30th November 2022 at 15:49.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:12   #26
BHPian

Good to know all are safe.

A rocker arm as I understand it, is something that transfers the motion of the cam rod to the valves, it bounces up and down as the cam shaft is rotated by the timing belt. So if it fails, it will end up damaging the components of the engine head, sometimes even the pistons. That wold be an unacceptable engine failure.

If some accessory driven by the engine has failed, then it is actually a minor issue, just get it changed under warranty, this particular engine is being used by various manufacturers. Not many complaints against the engine as far as I know.
regards,
kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 18:11   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

You only need to see Spinny Max or OLX or Carwale to realize that many Jeep owners are selling their (relatively) low mileage examples. There HAS to be some common thread of reason.

https://www.spinny.com/max/used-jeep-cars-in-bangalore/s/?filterObject={%22o%22:[%22-added_on%22]}

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...1&so=-1&car=43
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 18:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti21 View Post
Jeep's sales have been on a downward slope as I see people are slowly realizing it. I know many people who've shifted to an alternative due to all these issues cropping up.
I belong there. I was test-driving the Model (S) 4x4 AT and was happy for the most part. When the TD was about to complete, the "Auto Stop" kicked in. But it did not start again. The entire vehicle was profoundly jumping up and down when it tried to start. The salesperson jumped into the driver's seat and tried a few options, but things did not work. After many different options tried by him and about 5 minutes later, the vehicle started. That was a pretty bad sign. Then I started checking the reviews and found so many issues scattered in here.

I was given a second TD that went smoothly and the SA explained that the issue was due to a DEF service warning and things like that. I was not really convinced. Whatever the issue may be, the vehicle is not supposed to jump up and down that heavily. There ended my journey with Compass.

My friend drives a Compass and he loves it. Probably the Compass is not meant to be mine.
alagusankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 18:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

I might be scorned for this. But in a sincere way, Jeep as a brand is garbage! I wish you nothing but the best and hope your conundrum sees the light of the day, for good. Good luck to you gentleman.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 18:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
You only need to see Spinny Max or OLX or Carwale
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...1&so=-1&car=43
I would respectfully beg to differ here. There is a hint of confirmation bias here. I went to the same search platform and searched for low mileage jeep compass and found 7 of them. Interestingly, there are 9 Audis, 10 BMWs and about 16 Mercedes Benz cars satisfying the same search parameters (less than 2 years and less than 15000 kms).

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&pc=2&kms=0-15

Last edited by ChetanM6 : 30th November 2022 at 18:53.
ChetanM6 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks