Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2022, 07:28   #1
BHPian

Brand new Jeep Compass | Engine rocker arm failure

Dear All,

Just after 80 days into my new purchase of the 44 S model, I had my own share of nightmares. Last evening while returning to Bangalore from a family function (100 km) from Bangalore my Jeep suddenly stopped while driving on a highway. Just missed a major road mishap as the lorry following me had a tough call negotiating brakes. I think my family survived a close call

I had to reach out to my sales rep for help around 11 pm as my vehicle was down near no man's land. My two kids were horrified.

It took about 1 hour post my call around 12 am to get some traction and another 90 minutes to get towing and cab, both arranged by toll-free number. This could happen only after my 30+ calls with Jeep folks.

My family stayed in the car most of the time as it was midnight and very cold, and when the towing vehicle came, the vehicle did not start. It took him at least another 1 hour to figure out a way to bring the car to neutral and off parking, and finally, we were able to load the car on to a towing vehicle.

I am so angry with this incident and really concerned about the quality of the vehicle. It's taken a toll on my family, and thoughts of selling this Beast are crossing our minds as not sure when it may again stop while driving.

Yet to hear from the Jeep, and according to the initial analysis, my battery did not charge, and it seems the alternator has some issue. Against the required 14+ should be the volts, and mine was at 10 to 11 based on the info displayed. I will keep you posted for awareness and decision to buy your next Jeep

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th November 2022 at 10:03. Reason: Please proofread before posting.
vijucg is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 09:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Major engine problem in a 40-day-old Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijucg View Post
Yet to hear from jeep and according to the initial analysis my battery did not charge , some ac alternative has some issue. Itseems 14+ should be the volts and mine was at 10 to 11 based on the info displayed. Will keep u posted for awareness and decision to buy your next jeep
In a new vehicle people tend to park it without engine on and mess with its infotainment system and sunroof etc draining the battery, once that happens the alternator will bear the brunt of all electrical load afterwards, perhaps leading to this failure.

Alternator recalls have happened in the past for Chrysler / Jeep vehicles ,one of the explanation was that power steering's load was frying the alternator - for whatever reason the battery wasn't able to help.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 09:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In a new vehicle people tend to park it without engine on and mess with its infotainment system and sunroof etc draining the battery, once that happens the alternator will bear the brunt of all electrical load afterwards, perhaps leading to this failure.
That's not how Alternators are designed. It has to be 100% bad component or an electrical short/ open circuit.

Principles of Operation of Charging System

A vehicle charging system has been represented in Fig. 14.2 as three blocks, i.e. the alternator, battery and vehicle loads. When engine is not running, the alternator voltage is less than the battery voltage so current flows from the battery to the vehicle loads and the alternator diodes prevent current flowing into the alternator. When engine is running, the alternator output is greater than the battery voltage, so current flows from the alternator to the vehicle loads as well as the battery. This implies that alternator output voltage must always be above the battery voltage during operation of the engine. However, the actual voltage used is critical and depends on a number of factors.

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/...em-automobile/
Turbanator is online now   (45) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 10:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
When engine is running, the alternator output is greater than the battery voltage, so current flows from the alternator to the vehicle loads as well as the battery. This implies that alternator output voltage must always be above the battery voltage during operation of the engine. However, the actual voltage used is critical and depends on a number of factors.

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/...em-automobile/
I am in agreement but look at this scenario.

One can say that the battery's primary purpose is to start the engine , however once the engine is running battery is still required at times when the load is higher than the alternator can provide - say at idle speeds.

What if the battery is already weak for whatever reason, perhaps the infotainment did not go to sleep or some other parasitic drain or misuse etc - now all the load will fall on the alternator and damage the diodes (as mentioned in the recall).

Whenever we have seen a charging system problem with compass IIRC the vehicle was fairly new
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 10:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What if the battery is already weak for whatever reason, perhaps the infotainment did not go to sleep or some other parasitic drain or misuse etc - now all the load will fall on the alternator and damage the diodes (as mentioned in the recall).
So, this has to be factored while choosing the right alternator depending on the load by the manufacturer.

The whole charging system works like this

The battery has a job to do, and the is 1) to start the vehicle, and 2) to power the components. The alternator also has a job to do, and that is 1) keep the battery charged.

If the battery suffers a failure, the alternator will continue to power to car until the point that the battery has dropped down below a charge of about 9 volts, at which time the engine will shut off. If you start the car and disconnect the battery cables, the car will stop running, because the car runs on direct current (that is what a battery is) , and the “ALTERNATOR “ produces a/c or alternating current, hence it's name, then that current goes through a voltage regulator, than to the battery. No battery, no power, no running engine. So, no an alternator by itself cannot run an engine.

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-car-run-...its-alternator

I remember that Dynamos used to go bad on Ambassador that we had in the old days, but most cars of those eras will have a charging meter. If you don't see that charging, we will reduce all of the electric load on the car , and reach the mechanic. Usually, carbon brushes or, occasionally belts were the culprit.

As the complainant has mentioned, his battery voltage dropped; I don't know if the service station told them or if there is a reading/ warning on the Jeep. Most modern cars should have a warning (glowing battery sign). Should be on Jeep as well but appears OP has missed noticing it.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th November 2022 at 10:43.
Turbanator is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 17:35   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys. Just got a call from technician and he says rocker arms in the engine failed and caused teething issues which resulted in no power to the battery. I am not sure how all these things work but I am really concerned now on if I have to push futher. Pls share your valuable inputs
vijucg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 18:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Just got a call from technician and he says rocker arms in the engine failed and caused teething issues which resulted in no power to the battery. I am not sure how all these things work but I am really concerned now on if I have to push futher. Pls share your valuable inputs
Now that escalated very quickly!

I suggest getting it repaired with a complementary extended warranty to offset your bad experience, perhaps a few free services thrown in. Given their high ticket launch recently (GC), they should be careful how they deal with a BHPian.

I suggest not to ask for engine replacement because that is going to take a long time and chances of many bits and pieces not done properly is high.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 18:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Car replacement or complete engine replacement, do not compromise beyond this. Totally unacceptable failure in a new car and jeep better honour the warranty or take them to court.
Jaggu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 08:17   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brand new Jeep Compass | Engine rocker arm failure

Thanks for sharing, vijucg! Moving your post out to a new thread. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any important post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 09:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another day and another Jeep Compass failure.

Honestly I’m not even surprised!

Hope the OP gets a satisfactory resolution from Jeep India.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 09:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are two different components. Rocker arm failure has nothing to do with the alternator/battery and vice versa.

Rocker arm failure may cause catastrophic engine issues but alternator/battery failure would not. Would request you to visit and get some clarity on what exactly is the issue first.
DRIV3R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 09:34   #12
BHPian

A while ago I was considering buying a used Jeep Compass, but dropped the idea as I wasn't sure about the reliability of the vehicle. Unfortunately, I was right in my apprehension.

My humble suggestions is to get the car fixed by Jeep India under warranty and sell it off to Spinny/OLX etc.. Get a Japanese brand, e.g. Vitara All Grip. I wouldn't bother myself fighting for engine replacement/ car replacement etc. Just get it fixed and get rid of it. Nothing is more important than the safety of our loved ones and ourselves.
cityslicker86 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 09:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did your engine fail/stall with a mechanical clatter or there was a power outage? Because a rocker arm failure will cause a complete engine failure (Valves/camshafts/pistons) and nothing to do with Battery/alternator.
Maverick5490 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:15   #14
BHPian

Rocker Arm failure is catastrophic for the Engine. It can be due to poor material of the rocker arm or even improper lubrication of the bearings causing them to seize up. The engine has to be completely dismantled to assess the total damage done. Just opening up the cylinder head wouldn't give the proper picture. Push for a new engine or a new car if possible.
adi.mariner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

What I'm not able to follow is - what caused the running engine to stall suddenly. I can understand that the battery wasn't charging - but the engine was already running. Was it not generating enough current (ok voltage was less than 14V and battery wasn't charging) - to keep the engine operations going on? I'm confused.

The alternator voltage is designed to be equal or just about over the required charging "input" voltage of the battery. This particular alternator is not generating it & the battery was leaking charge all the while. Still - why does a failed battery cause an already running engine to die?
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed