Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 15:19   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I dont know about Pune.
But in Hyderabad the number plate of the vehicle is photographed and printed on the PUC certificate.
same for bangy - infact on my rear plates one alphabet is slightly come off and they ensured they took a pic of the front plates instead !!
Old 26th April 2010, 17:19   #77
BHPian

Hi guys,

I recently had to get my cat con removed because it was all broken inside.
After the removal I have experience huge decrease in FE.
Am currently getting a FE of 12km/l on my M-800 (MPFI) whereas i used to get 17km/l.

Please advise if its due to the removal of the Cat Con.

Thanks.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guys I wanted to know whether getting rid of the Cat-Con on the Palio will make any different to the performance?
Same case here,

I was contemplating on removing the catcon in my Palio and putting it back after removing all the stuff in it so that it only acts as an expansion chamber.

Just wanted to know whether this will be a better option instead of removing the catcon and placing a straight pipe in its place. Your thoughts please...
Old 28th September 2011, 21:58   #79
BHPian

Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter (Cat Con) - Do you guys think its worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Same case here,

I was contemplating on removing the catcon in my Palio and putting it back after removing all the stuff in it so that it only acts as an expansion chamber.

Just wanted to know whether this will be a better option instead of removing the catcon and placing a straight pipe in its place. Your thoughts please...
Replying nearly a year late ..
But gutting a cat is one of the worst possible things that can be done to your exhaust system.
Its got to be a straight through pipe of the same bore as the existing pipe.
Expansion pipe/Gutted cats are bad for the velocity of the gas flowing through your exhaust, these things break up the continous stream of exhaust pulses and create turbulence.
Trust me I have tried Gutted cat, aftermarket hi-flow Cat(magnaflow probably 900/99000 something series dont remember exactly),expansion pipe and straight through (with stock headers but aftermarket axle backs)
Main difference is the driveability(more torquey), tone and top end power...
Nothing beats a straight through..followed by a hi flow cat for the velocity, avoid the gutted cat and the expansion chamber.
But I somewhat love the raw sound with the straight thru

Last edited by chetanhanda : 28th September 2011 at 22:05. Reason: model number of hi flow cat
chetanhanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 10:21   #80
BANNED

@chetanhanda; Absolutely correct. We had to remove the catcon our our old Zen in 1997 since Unleaded was not freely available. I managed to drive from Kanpur to Manipal without having to go for leaded (just, since at one point the fill was 32+ l). So in Manipal I has the MASS remove the cat (no unleaded in Manipal). He did exactly what you suggest. Replace the cat with a pipe of identical diameter and length. Six months later Unleaded was available, so the cat went back after a few months.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@chetanhanda; Absolutely correct. We had to remove the catcon our our old Zen in 1997 since Unleaded was not freely available. I managed to drive from Kanpur to Manipal without having to go for leaded (just, since at one point the fill was 32+ l). So in Manipal I has the MASS remove the cat (no unleaded in Manipal). He did exactly what you suggest. Replace the cat with a pipe of identical diameter and length. Six months later Unleaded was available, so the cat went back after a few months.
That works best..
Can you let us know your experience in terms of driveability with and without the cat ? what felt good ?
Sometimes the gut feel on the road means more than dyno numbers.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

I had been experiencing drop in pick up and a throaty sound from my air filter in my 2004 MPFI Zen the last few days. Took it to MASS yesterday and he said the cat con was all clogged up and that he cleaned it. The car is flying now. The pickup is just awesome (especially the top end).

Called him up this morning to find out if he had removed it as from what i've read cat cons cannot be cleaned, but need to be replaced. He inisists that he only cleaned it and that its good to go for another 10k odd km. Can a cat con be cleaned ? And anyone has any idea how much a new catcon costs for a Zen ?
Old 18th October 2011, 11:27   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
That works best..
Can you let us know your experience in terms of driveability with and without the cat ? what felt good ?
Sometimes the gut feel on the road means more than dyno numbers.
We felt no difference with and without the Cat. Remember it was a Carb Zen, with all of 50 horses.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

My cat con us 8 years old (as old as the car). Do these components continue to function as expected, or can they turn into unnecessary artifacts inside the exhaust system thus affecting the the gas flow?

I am thinking to remove the cat con - if my assumption that its functionality has deteriorated over time can be proven correct
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:03   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
My cat con us 8 years old (as old as the car). Do these components continue to function as expected, or can they turn into unnecessary artifacts inside the exhaust system thus affecting the the gas flow?

I am thinking to remove the cat con - if my assumption that its functionality has deteriorated over time can be proven correct
A catalytic converter, if taken proper care of, mostly by using the correct (unleaded) & unadultered fuel will last as long as the normal life of the car. Though, some carbon & some compounds spit through the exhaust can lay a layer over the metals which are used as catalyzers, which can reduce its efficiency, since the exposure of those metals inside the cat become limited to the exhaust gases.

However, its efficiency is only reduced somewhat, but still they are quite effective. I think that a car without a Cat-Con will not pass the emission tests too. Also, Cat cons can clear the deposits with some long runs but this is just my opinion, not very sure about this.

My opinion is not to remove it. More than anything, it is illegal too.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd September 2013 at 17:04.
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

Cars without the cat-con do pass emission tests, It is just that they will not adhere to the emission norms set when they rolled out from the factory.

Removing the cat-con will give you a load of extra power for sure.
In my opinion, it is better to just leave it if you feel there is no harm it is doing.

Regards
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:05   #87
BHPian

The stock Muffler in my Fiesta 1.6 has been replaced with a Cosworth End Can. The Catcon/Resonator is still in place.

Over the last few weeks, I have been noticing a drop in power and sluggish behaviour in the second gear. Should I go ahead and remove the Catcon and replace it with a straight pipe or get a new Cat con?

Can someone guide me please?
Old 31st October 2013, 16:43   #88
BHPian

Mods, sorry for back to back posts.

Though I didn't get a response for my above query, I went ahead and removed the Catalytic converter/Resonator and fixed a straight pipe. I got this job done along with the 40K service at a Bosch service centre. Now, I find the pick up better and there is no sluggish behaviour. But, a new issue has cropped up. I hear a wierd sound from the End can whenever I stop pressing the accelerator. I am not sure about the right term to use, but I can sense something similar to a Drone/Rattling noise from the exhaust.

Guru's, could you please help me out?
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:08   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Over the last few weeks, I have been noticing a drop in power and sluggish behaviour in the second gear. Should I go ahead and remove the Catcon and replace it with a straight pipe or get a new Cat con?
Sorry for the late reply.

I feel the replacement of the end has made the fuel be lean and so loss in power. Post replacement you should have made the mixture a bit rich. Not to rich also to lose on efficiency and it would cause carbon deposits in the cylinder head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Now, I find the pick up better and there is no sluggish behaviour. But, a new issue has cropped up. I hear a wierd sound from the End can whenever I stop pressing the accelerator. I am not sure about the right term to use, but I can sense something similar to a Drone/Rattling noise from the exhaust.
The sound is normal and nothing to worry. I guess this sound is only heard when the foot is lifted from the accelerator. Right?

Can you just find what the Bosch guys do for the sluggish behaviour or was it solved pay the end can change.

Anurag.
Old 4th November 2013, 14:39   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The sound is normal and nothing to worry. I guess this sound is only heard when the foot is lifted from the accelerator. Right?

Can you just find what the Bosch guys do for the sluggish behaviour or was it solved pay the end can change.

Anurag.
Yes, the wierd sound comes only when I lift my foot from the accelerator.

Bosch folks did the routine 40K service. Apart from this they replaced the Cat con with a straight pipe. The Cosworth End can stays in place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks