Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2023, 23:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Steering Noise in Skoda Rapid | Skoda ASC says its normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Crasto View Post
Hi, did you get the rack replaced under warranty? How is the car behaving now?

Last year the strut bearings were greased FOC, when I was getting similar sounds, but the clunking issue doesn't come up in this case on bad roads.
Hi Clayton,

Yes, I replaced my steering rack but not under warranty.

Here are the events:

1) I went to ASC with older 185-section tyres that I fit in my Ford Figo. The steering rack upon inspection was found to be defective. The boot of the rack had gone bust. Since the warranty guy and technician from Skoda were under the firm belief that the tire upsize from 185 section to 195 section is the main reason for the busted boot of the rack, I was asked to pay for the rack.

2) I asked them if the steering rack replacement would solve the rattling and clucking noise, to which they replied 100%.

3) I paid for the steering rack from my pocket, albeit with a little discount on price and labor being waved off, the steering feeling had returned to new car levels.

4) HOWEVER, The clunky noise is still there. Now, I can hear the sound, but the movement of the steering sideways is not there. The same sound comes on rough roads, but the movement of steering is controlled- Maybe the rack is compensating for the issue with steering column.

5) I called the SKODA technical expert who examined my car. He said the boot was cut and hence the steering rack had to be replaced anyway. But for the rattling noise, the column needs to be checked and on a friendly note asked me to raise a separate ticket later so that the column, if defective, can be changed under warranty.

I dont know how Skoda can simply ignore the faulty parts they have in multiple cars and multiple owners complaining about that. The video that I had on YouTube had 3-4 users voicing the same issue and here in TBHP, I read multiple users having the same exact issues. The column when driven on rough roads simply gives up and some pay develops between parts.

I am a little occupied on the personal front, hence couldnot give my car for second inspection. I would update the thread whenever that happens. I would request members to share any Volkswagen/ Skoda higher official contact numbers, if they have any, to get this sorted.

Last edited by Tuisha110HP : 28th February 2023 at 23:24.
Tuisha110HP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 00:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
This is what I seriously dont understand from some manufacturers, most specially VAG. If the same car was out of warranty, the service center would have diagnosed it as a fault and handed the OP a bill worth 1L-1.5L for steering pump failure and replacement, bushes, some unknown and unheard of part replacements just for the heck, steering assembly changing etc. Since it is under warranty, the general feedback will always be "Its ok, nothing wrong".
Well, there is no pump in the steering of Rapid, its EPC where the whole steering column most probably costs around 50K and steering rack costs around 17-18K. Don't know where your cost figures are coming from!

I had my steering column replaced at the VW service station when my car was under warranty, though had to do few follow ups since the issue was not predictable. The billed amount for the whole column was around 48K at that time which I did not have to pay.

Quote:
I think we should boycott all such manufacturers and not buy their products anymore.
least we expect is acknowledging an issue and resolving it by honoring the so called warranty. Why is the VAG group acting like this in India?
I got one of headlight replaced last year for my 12 year old car at the VW service station. The replacement headlight also had manufacturing defect. The spare parts come with standard 2 years of warranty at the VW authorized service station. I got the headlight replaced at the service station since it was under warranty. Such is the peace of mind we get at the VAG service stations for servicing our cars.

My personal experience has been nice with the VW so far. Not only in terms of quality of the vehicles itself, but with the warranty policy as well. I refrained speaking about my experience initially and only started talking about it after having experience of owning my car for more than a decade.

Would like to know which VAG car you owned for how long and which dealership making you say so much bad things about the VAG so that other fellows here stay away from such dealerships and service stations.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st March 2023 at 00:40.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post

Since the warranty guy and technician from Skoda were under the firm belief that the tire upsize from 185 section to 195 section is the main reason for the busted boot of the rack, I was asked to pay for the rack.
That is such a scam. Even the Polo Highline and Rapid Style variants come with stock 195 section tires, so that is definitely not the cause of failure. It's the defective design right from the start. Guess they can go to any extent to blame the customer

I'm concerned now that even my Polo may still have the clunking noise after the rack is replaced. Waiting to get the car back, in 2 days hopefully.
Clayton Crasto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 06:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Would like to know which VAG car you owned for how long and which dealership making you say so much bad things about the VAG so that other fellows here stay away from such dealerships and service stations.
I owned a Skoda Rapid TDI for 11 years which was serviced at Vinayaka Skoda, Bangalore which was shut down due to alleged malpractices.
Old 1st May 2023, 20:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Crasto View Post
That is such a scam. Even the Polo Highline and Rapid Style variants come with stock 195 section tires, so that is definitely not the cause of failure. It's the defective design right from the start. Guess they can go to any extent to blame the customer

I'm concerned now that even my Polo may still have the clunking noise after the rack is replaced. Waiting to get the car back, in 2 days hopefully.
Hi,

How is your car behaving now? I still get the same noise on rough roads. No respite from the clunky noises.
Old 3rd May 2023, 07:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Hi,

How is your car behaving now? I still get the same noise on rough roads. No respite from the clunky noises.
A lot of improvement, though I'm also getting a mild clunking from the right side on bad roads. Wasn't as bad as before, but it's there. Honestly, I've forced myself to live with it as I don't have the patience to leave the car at the workshop again (for the rack replacement, they took a week citing internet connection failure, warranty approval, blah blah).
Also, the warranty expired in March and now they'll surely say it's something to do with the lower arms or other components and simply want to charge.
Clayton Crasto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 20:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This post may be of help: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4429642 (My Lieblingswagen - 2015 VW Polo MPi Comfortline)

Solution was to grease the strut mounts and is a common problem with the Polo/Vento/Rapid. It did not have to do with the steering rack itself. However, I'm not sure if your noise is the same or not. FYI, VW did it for free on my car when I insisted that this was not normal.

One of my ABS sensors went kaput in my 2019 Skoda Rapid and I had to visit the service centre. With the ABS issue I was also facing the steering sound issue, however it is not the same as Tuisha110hp and resembled more like the one posted by Mclaren Rulez. While I had faced this issue earlier as well, however the same was rectified free of cost by the service centre (JMD Skoda in Mumbai) in April 2022 stating that this was a known issue in the car and some part required lubrication (Not sure of the part though and the same is not mentioned in the invoice). The issue went away only to crop up again couple of months ago.

My current service advisor (Regent Skoda, as JMD Skoda has shut down) advised me to replace a host of parts(Linkage, steering rack, lower arm, linkage etc.) while my suspension feels absolutely perfect and the car still runs like as it is new. Sensing the SA is trying to rip me off, I refused to do any work considering the same was done for free of cost earlier with the desired result.

I believe my issue is the same as one posted here by Mclaren Rulez and greasing strut mounts should solve it. Will get this checked during my annual service which is due in couple of months.

@Tuisha110hp any update on the issue faced by you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks