Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 12:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

I too would suggest that the car be Kept original. the '69 beetle was definitely not designed to take an AC. which came in the post '73 cars with the twin carb 1600cc engines IMO. Whats the engine size you have there?
Though, I have a Smart with a 800cc cdi with an AC, and the compressor is sooo small, diameter is just 70mm and lenght is 140mm. cools fantastic for the size of the car, and its made in france.
If at all you want to fit an AC, this kind of a miniature is all you should fit.
Be prepared to shell out say 50000 for such a small kit, which will be no load on the aircooled engine with some additional electric fans.
Old 9th July 2007, 15:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ricky... i wouldd advice you to keep the car in stock condition as meddling around with it would ruin its classic charm... the later beetles with 1600cc engines and the 'super beetle'(or are they the same??) came with a/c.
Yours must be the 1303 engine..(maybe)... as it wont be your daily driver... just leave it stock!!
Old 9th July 2007, 15:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the inputs & some very informed information/suggestions. There is NO WAY that I am changing the engine on that car. The engine purrs beautifully & has been rebuilt using parts imported from VW Germany. It also has a new Carburettor. The sound of the engine is WOW & the sputter of the twin tail pipes is awesome.

I am thinking of putting Alloys on it though. What say ??? All in all it is a car in pristine condition....so the wheels may add a lot to it. Let's see

The Reva A.C sounds like an option that is workable, chalo dekhte hain. Anyone used a REVA ever. how is the A.C. That should be a possible option.

Cheers
Old 9th July 2007, 16:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
and may we know whether he managed to fit that engine in the rear of the Beetle? Is this in India?

The Beetle engine bay hardly has any space for engine swaps and not many would love to put a liquid / oil cooled engine in that small little bay. Where did he mount the radiator? How did he manage to get the transmission? While all this is possible I wouldn't say its wise to do so!
there is a lot of swaps for beetle like lt1,ls2 316 mopar's for totlly drag purpose then there are porsche engines,rx7 and also there is a new gen beetle with a helicopter engine in the back.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
there is a lot of swaps for beetle like lt1,ls2 316 mopar's for totlly drag purpose then there are porsche engines,rx7 and also there is a new gen beetle with a helicopter engine in the back.
Oh yeah, and you think this can be done in India? Swaps are possible, yes but who can do it here without getting the engine half way in the passenger compartment and sacrificing the rear seat like the one seen in the picture above!!!
Ricky has a 1969 Beetle and not the new age Beetle that you posted above. And swaps like the RX-7, 316 or the Porsche 911 as posted by you will cost him a couple of restored Beetles in pristine condition and the back seat of the Beetle he owns add to that tolerating the noise from the engine sitting instead of passengers!
Old 9th July 2007, 16:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ Pawan

We are talking of a Beetle of 1969 vintage. Surely don't want to put in a Chopper engine. This car has been bought coz it is what it is a CLASSIC - Thanks for the information though !!!!

A Porsche engine ....SURE - do you know someone feeling generous enough to finance it

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 9th July 2007 at 16:26.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah, and you think this can be done in India? Swaps are possible, yes but who can do it here without getting the engine half way in the passenger compartment and sacrificing the rear seat like the one seen in the picture above!!!
Ricky has a 1969 Beetle and not the new age Beetle that you posted above. And swaps like the RX-7, 316 or the Porsche 911 as posted by you will cost him a couple of restored Beetles in pristine condition and the back seat of the Beetle he owns add to that tolerating the noise from the engine sitting instead of passengers!
i agree i wouldn't myself go for any of the swaps.yes as you said none of those stated above can go into the engine bay.just told about the swaps that are generally carried out.

Last edited by pawan : 9th July 2007 at 16:29. Reason: sorry typo.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:28   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
i agree i would myself do any of the swaps.yes as you said none of those stated above can go into the engine bay.just told about the swaps that are generally carried out.
You would yourself do the swaps (guess its a typo). I agree with you finally, if it was just for info sake then fair enough .
Old 9th July 2007, 16:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
You would yourself do the swaps (guess its a typo). I agree with you finally, if it was just for info sake then fair enough .
sorry typo corrected it. just shared that info.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Old thread revived. Going to see another 1972 beetle - let's see if this is a better candidate for an a/c.

Have heard from people that the Esteem engine does well in a beetle & can run the airconditioner. Let's see. Maybe I can find a factory fitted option. I am on the lookout. I sold the previous one even without getting it home.

Thus the hunt begins again !!!

Cheers

Most Viewed