Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 06:39   #1

Need advice - Thud Sound while taking IKon out from Parking

Hi

Car : Ford Ikon, taken delivery in Feb'07

About Owner : First car for him and does not know any Technical stuff about the car

Today morning ( I start work pretty early) when i took my car out for going to office, ( I had a reverse Gear on), I heard Thud Sound, like tyre breaking a stone and getting over it. Since my car is in covered parking was sure nothing obstructive could be there, hence immediatley got down and checked near all the four tyeres, could not find any thing.
Got into the Car again, checked if all the gears are engaging correctly, checked if brakes are working properly and then drove to office

My doubt now is,
1.Should i just forget about the noise which came, since i had a safe drive to office which is 14 kms from my home

2.What could be the reason for the noise coming out

3.Should i take the car to Authorised Service Centre?

Note: I got the car to the local water wash fellow y'day, got it cleaned (underbody also) and then parked it and took it
out only today.

Thanks
Old 9th July 2007, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey bro , thats prety strange . Have you had any problem/noise like this before ? I dont think this should be something to worry about ...unless you feel some problem while driving ..
Old 9th July 2007, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Looks like your Brake liners were jammed and got released as you reversed. Did u park the car with Hand brakes? I am not too sure if that is the issue. If the car is running fine... don't worry and enjoy the drive.
Old 9th July 2007, 10:59   #4
BHPian

could be your brakes they are getting jammed when parked check them out
Old 9th July 2007, 11:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairBoy View Post
Note: I got the car to the local water wash fellow y'day, got it cleaned (underbody also) and then parked it and took it
out only today.

Thanks
Donot worry its the water wash, the pads sticking in the rear drum when you engaged hand brake, it will be there for a day or two till water dries off.

If you are not convinced leave the car without hand brake overnight and move, you will hear no sound. I had this problem for whole of 7 years when water went into the brakes.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:37   #6

Dont use parking brake during heavy rains

I was recently advised by a Hyundai mechanic not to use the parking brake when the car is parked (say over night) when there is a heavy rain.

He recommends putting the car in 1st gear rather than use the hand brake.

Could the team-bhp gurus advise if this is true?

Thanks
iceman

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th September 2009 at 23:37. Reason: Merging the thread since this was discussed earlier. Thanks
Old 7th September 2009, 23:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hi iceman84, the topic of this thread might be the reason why the hyundai service advised you, NOT to leave the Handbrake ON.

cheers
Jaggu
Old 8th September 2009, 10:00   #8

Thanks Jaggu for your response.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:15   #9
BHPian

This is a common problem in Monsoons, lot of people face it. And since it was in reverse gear it simply moved with a thud, sometimes they refuse to move in first gear as well. Generallly mechanics come and hammer your drum to free it up. its perfectly normal.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

I bought my car the last week, and have hard this noise while reversing (grinding kind of noise right?) after the car being parked overnight, and I (now I know correctly!) guessed that the brakes took some time to come off. I park my car at night using the hand brake.
Maybe I shall try for a couple of days without the hand brake and check. Its been raining cats n dogs in Kolkata since last week!
Old 8th September 2009, 19:52   #11
BHPian

if you engage handbrake while parking than it may be the reason.There may be reason that there is some loose component in boot . Happened to me once the reason was that the jack was not kept properly.

Most Viewed