Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2006, 12:54   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp
That explains the sluggish lower end. Torque only becomes usable around about 1.5-2K.
C'mon guys, you really can't expect a 1.3 litre petrol engine to be a torque monster! 1000 to 2000 rpm will never give you decent acceleration, unless you radically change your gearing. Its not a TDi afterall!

Every engine has its unique characteristics and the key is to learn to drive to get the best out of your particular engine. What works on one car may not work on another.

I have 2 extremes with me. A 14,000 rpm bike and a 5,000 rpm diesel. I can't expect to drive/ride both those the same way and get results! One makes no power before 5,000 rpm, the other makes no power after that!
Old 9th August 2006, 12:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

I own Swift VXI, from the day 1 I baught the vehicle it sukcs. just bad vehicle for sure, It has poor pickup, I don't have any ratlting issue since I never allow my driver to drive fast in bad roads, but what we have noticed
whoever drives this vehicles has bad pickup, we need to shift to 1st gear
in few roads where other swift or other cars can still travel in 2nd gear.

Swift has major technical flaw in city driving conditions. Its good on higways but with cramped inside space its worth for city use not for highway.

during my 2nd service Pratham motors @ Bangalore ring road people have improved my vehicle performance but again its not upto the mark.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th August 2006, 13:05   #33
BHPian

try K&N

Try a K&N extreme performance filter with a separate cold air intake pipe.My friends have been telling that it has helped the accelaration.
Old 9th August 2006, 13:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey pillainp

1. Try to push the car to 5K rpm in each gear on airport road ..
2. Did u get the fuel from a reputed pump???BTW which fuel??
3. Try to get in touch with some experts anyways these Maruti chaps are of no use else go to Popular....

KP

Quote:
I have 2 extremes with me. A 14,000 rpm bike and a 5,000 rpm diesel. I can't expect to drive/ride both those the same way and get results! One makes no power before 5,000 rpm, the other makes no power after that!

great combo u got

Last edited by kpzen : 9th August 2006 at 13:12.
Old 9th August 2006, 13:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

One more point what I would like to mention is once swift covers 4000KM service engineer @Pratham Motors advised me its better to do valve clearence test and adjust the settings of spark plug etc.. stuffs which are culprit for bad pickup, my vehicle had bad pick up in 2nd gear and with other gears vehicle has good pickup. He said it he did valve clearence , after that I can see improved pickup, even when A/C on no drop in power when we drive on plain roads, before he improved my vehicle's performance with AC on it was very disappointing performance by my swift, thats why when BIMAL auot agency people didn't agree about this problem I had issues them legal notice then they asked Pratham motors to check my swift since they felt pratham has award winning mechanics.

He said he improved many swift's performance by doing this, of course its part of 2nd service. when CAR Makers manufactures vehicle it happens few vehicle have few settings wrong thats why valve clearence is advised for every vehicle during 2nd service. this is what MUL engineers and managers told me when I had 1 hr long meeting couple of months back.

I had made them visit my place before and after the service since they played very smart and tried to convince me that my vehicle has no problems at all.

But still I feel for city driving swift sucks!! its not ideal vehicle ( at leats my vehicle ) for bangalore city driving.
Old 9th August 2006, 13:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Rtech's comments... but problem described by pillainp seems to be more serious and all symptoms in #29, especially high rpm part, tend to indicate some clutch related problem (slipping? )
Old 9th August 2006, 13:35   #37
BHPian

my swift has done 10k,yuppy its jerky/slow below 2 rpm spl. with A.C,but rev it up beyond 3.5 rpm...o boy....it come to life ....and u can toggle ur A.C. button as for 'Racing mode'.
Old 9th August 2006, 14:21   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
C'mon guys,

Every engine has its unique characteristics and the key is to learn to drive to get the best out of your particular engine. What works on one car may not work on another. !
Hey, Cudn't agree with you more ... Drive the Swift the way its meant to be driven and you will realise why its such a sweet thing !!!

I finally opened the swift up yesterday for the 1st time .... 3rd Gear 140 at 5500 RPM and I ran out of an empty stretch !!! Time to get a K&N and a free flow with headers ..

Cheers
Old 9th August 2006, 14:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
That explains the sluggish lower end. Torque only becomes usable around about 1.5-2K.
Wrong !!! First of all, Torque doesn't help acceleration, POWER does. And you can clearly see the POWER is quite low at low RPMs.
More Torque only means the car can pull more load without compromising the acceleration.

Quote:
Therefore the best driving range for that engine would be 2-4.5K rpm.Stay there and you're good. But that would mean staying one gear short when driving slow
So what is wrong if you are one gear down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
I own Swift VXI, from the day 1 I baught the vehicle it sukcs. just bad vehicle for sure, It has poor pickup
It is quite clear that you didn't do enough due-diligence before your purchase. As Rtech mentioned, every engine has unique characterestics, and you got to figure out whether that matches your style.

My uncle drives my Esteem in 5th gear at 40KpH all the day and he keeps complaining about how bad the car's pickup is!!
Old 9th August 2006, 14:50   #40
BHPian

How to lie with statistics ! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
but MUL claims to have "flat" torque for most of its cars... look at this
http://www.marutiswift.com/html/FeaturesALTech32.asp
The torque/ power plot in the Maruti page is intended to mislead people by
creating a false impression about the flatness of torque ! With NO scale indicated
for torque/ power, this could as well be the torque/ power curve for any car
at all (if the exact location of the peaks are ignored) !
........ And we all know all cars have flat torques, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s

The graph is showing about 75+ % of max torque being available even at 1.5k rpm .
How did you figure the percentage, with no scales indicated ?

Last edited by meerkat : 9th August 2006 at 15:02.
Old 9th August 2006, 15:11   #41
BHPian

Guys, I am no expert on this, but maybe since you all are seeing this lack of accelaration and are just out of the breakin period on your cars, you could try and reset the ECU(just remove the connection of battery terminal for say 15 mins) of your cars. As I know the ECU keeps learning the way you drive and since we are not supposed to accelarate hard in the initial period the ECU has learnt this curve and is not responding well to accelaration. I am may be completely wrong on this, but just a thought I had in my mind. Maybe the Gurus can shed more light on this :-)

Last edited by malgudi : 9th August 2006 at 15:12.
Old 9th August 2006, 16:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

I drive a swift & I dont have such complaints. Iam not a racer boy, so my requirements/expectations might be entirely different.

I do travel in moderate traffics and always stay below this 2000 rpm mark & stay in 3rd or 4th gear with 40-50 km speed. Never ever felt that something is missing in the car.

As said before our expectations would be entirely different.
Old 9th August 2006, 19:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am not expecting any fast acceleration from Swift, but the way Maruti says about Swift and the way they show statistics about swift's performance is definately not, its false information. Its just one normal car with poor pickup in congested city traffic, If we accelerate it hard it pulls very good, But we can't expect and drive swift like how we drive New Honda city or Santro or any other car, Swift drives very well in plain roads but when it comes to hill roads with sudden curve and congested city traffic it sucks!!

Ravi.
Old 10th August 2006, 02:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
I am not expecting any fast acceleration from Swift, but the way Maruti says about Swift and the way they show statistics about swift's performance is definately not, its false information. Its just one normal car with poor pickup in congested city traffic, If we accelerate it hard it pulls very good, But we can't expect and drive swift like how we drive New Honda city or Santro or any other car, Swift drives very well in plain roads but when it comes to hill roads with sudden curve and congested city traffic it sucks!!

Ravi.
Go for a car with automatic transmission that way you will not have to crib about changing gears in traffic or the power

Last edited by anarchist : 10th August 2006 at 02:24.
Old 10th August 2006, 10:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat
How did you figure the percentage, with no scales indicated ?
You are right! I must have seen just those horizontal grid lines and come up with the number... but it does not make any sense unless the torque scale starts at zero

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks