Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 19:17   #46
BHPian

Hey, I am new to Honda City 1.3 (old model) but have been following the forum for a few months now. Coming to the problem, I see there is a time lag between pressing accelerator and the car pick up (say about 15 - 20 seconds). Is this normal or something related to what you guys are discussing? Also, at about 1500 RPM, the car suddenly realises that it should run and starts flying infact...is this normal? Please help.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a similar prob with my CEL. It came on this morning and i just dont know what to do. Is it safe to cont. driving the vtec??HELP
Old 3rd July 2008, 16:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

o2 sensor

@ Yuv - Where in mumbai did you get the sensor for 1800. Plz let me know dude. Just want to be ready in case i need one.

H E L P . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
I didnt pay 16k Dhar, there is no way im going to let Honda rip me... not even close, I got myself the sensor for 1800/- bucks flat.

lol@platinum, sounds like some over zealous salesmans imagination.. but then again, who would pay 16k? so sure. it has platinum, maybe even diamonds. hehe

Burning smell thread. O2 seems like a far cry, most likely some belt about to give way. my 2 cents

Part number, I will look it up and let you know.

Thanks and Cheers!

Yuvi
Old 5th July 2008, 13:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

HI GUYS !!!

Sorry for the long post but, cant hold myself back . . .

Over the list few days i have had sleep less nights due to the CEL coming on in the cockpit of my luv. I guess sleep less nights are common to most of us when some thing goes wrong with our cars coz they are more than just modes of transport for us.

In addition to the CEL coming on the idling had also gone up by approx 500 rpm, this was what was killing me all the time. I dint know if the CEL had come on due the same reason. My mechanic had told me not to worry and get the car to him whenever i found time. So finally after driving about 100 more kms (3 days) it was yesterday that i could finally make it to his garage. (I hate myself for the delay)

The cause for the CEL to come on was a very silly, foolish thing. RAT's chewed my wiring harnesses and created a mess. The idling has come back down to 800rpm after cleaning all the sensors and air filter.

This guys (Vinayak from andheri - mumbai is amazing!!! PM me if you want his number # ) has been maintaining my car from the start and has never made me spend an extra rupee. He kept telling me all the while that i need not get the scan done and that he will identify the problem himself. HE DID IT!!! Now i realise the importance of having a good mechanic.

He has also advised me to keep morteen mouse repellents and tie packets of tobacco under the hood in places where a rat can find place to sit, according to him the rats wont come if i do this.

Time take to repair : 5 hrs
Cost : INR 300 ONLY
(including all the other small maintenance work he did for me)

Finally after the smooth drive back home i did what Vinayak said and had a good night sleep.
Old 16th October 2008, 19:26   #50
BHPian

Hi, Can you give me Vinayak's number? I desperately need a good honda mechanic. I stay in Borivli and own a type 1 At transmission.

Have some nagging drop in RPM issue that I need to solve!

Thanks
Old 31st December 2008, 12:18   #51

OHC VTEC engine malfunction light

BHPians,
i am considering a 2001 OHC VTEC.. i took a test drive and there were a couple of things that I would like some opinion from VTEC owners on..

1. the steering seemed a little too heavy and hard. Is that a VTEC trait or is there something wrong with the steering?

2. the engine malfunction light is on and the owner said it is because of a faulty "oxy-mixer". Not sure if he means an oxygen sensor. It seems he had it replaced a couple of times and it keeps failing because of the poor quality of petrol here. Since it costs about 12k to replace, he has no replaced it for quite some time. Can anyone please throw some light on this?

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st December 2008 at 12:52. Reason: Search and please post in appropriate forum, these are technical doubts.
Old 31st December 2008, 14:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

difficult to say anything about the steering before driving the car..may be you could compare it with another OHC..

The o2 sensor is expensive and a common problem, also i am not too sure if he has changed it a couple of times. besides that may not be the only reason for the EML/CEL to come on. You could get the car scanned before buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
BHPians,

i am considering a 2001 OHC VTEC.. i took a test drive and there were a couple of things that I would like some opinion from VTEC owners on..

1. the steering seemed a little too heavy and hard. Is that a VTEC trait or is there something wrong with the steering?

2. the engine malfunction light is on and the owner said it is because of a faulty "oxy-mixer". Not sure if he means an oxygen sensor. It seems he had it replaced a couple of times and it keeps failing because of the poor quality of petrol here. Since it costs about 12k to replace, he has no replaced it for quite some time. Can anyone please throw some light on this?

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 31st December 2008 at 14:42.
Old 31st December 2008, 15:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
difficult to say anything about the steering before driving the car..may be you could compare it with another OHC..

The o2 sensor is expensive and a common problem, also i am not too sure if he has changed it a couple of times. besides that may not be the only reason for the EML/CEL to come on. You could get the car scanned before buying it.
why will an oxygen sensor fail due to poor quality fuel?
Old 31st December 2008, 15:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Well i dint say that....did i?.....all i said was that the o2 sensor is a common problem with the OHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
why will an oxygen sensor fail due to poor quality fuel?
Old 31st December 2008, 17:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Well i dint say that....did i?.....all i said was that the o2 sensor is a common problem with the OHC
i did not say you said it ,, i was just wondering thats all!
Old 31st December 2008, 17:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Also, you might want to check how many kilometers the car was driven after the engine malfunction light started showing. Chances are the owner did not bother to get it fixed even once, thinking he has to sell the car anyways.

Regarding the steering, does the car have upgraded tyres? That can increase the stiffness of the steering. But even without that, i find my OHC's steering to be much stiffer than my dad's NHC. Its a EPS vs HPS kinda thing i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i did not say you said it ,, i was just wondering thats all!
LOL! You quoted his post and asked the question! That would, in any form of communication indicate what KSM thought.

Last edited by amitoj : 31st December 2008 at 17:14.
Old 31st December 2008, 17:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Also, you might want to check how many kilometers the car was driven after the engine malfunction light started showing. Chances are the owner did not bother to get it fixed even once, thinking he has to sell the car anyways.

Regarding the steering, does the car have upgraded tyres? That can increase the stiffness of the steering. But even without that, i find my OHC's steering to be much stiffer than my dad's NHC. Its a EPS vs HPS kinda thing i guess.

LOL! You quoted his post and asked the question! That would, in any form of communication indicate what KSM thought.
yes , i clicked on the wrong quote ,sorry. "my bad"! like how i have seen in many posts.
now lets get back to the o2 sensor ,lol

Last edited by siddartha : 31st December 2008 at 17:27.
Old 31st December 2008, 19:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
BHPians,

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future
Cause of the engine malfunction light coming on can only be determined by scanning the output from the ecu where the fault code as well as freeze frame data is stored. you can also come to know for how many kms and how long the malfunction light is on . scanning can be done at the honda authorized service station or any other workshop having suitable equipment. you should not go for this car unless you can establish the cause of the fault otherwise you might face a larger repair bill at a later date . even if the light is on due to faulty oxygen sensor then the FE will be affected by driving with a faulty sensor as you would be constantly driving in open loop condition also the car might fail in puc test.
Old 1st January 2009, 15:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Dint know about the PUC test but ya the FE will go down for sure due to the open loop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Cause of the engine malfunction light coming on can only be determined by scanning the output from the ecu where the fault code as well as freeze frame data is stored. you can also come to know for how many kms and how long the malfunction light is on . scanning can be done at the honda authorized service station or any other workshop having suitable equipment. you should not go for this car unless you can establish the cause of the fault otherwise you might face a larger repair bill at a later date . even if the light is on due to faulty oxygen sensor then the FE will be affected by driving with a faulty sensor as you would be constantly driving in open loop condition also the car might fail in puc test.
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:47   #60
abk
BHPian

The O2 sensor (yellow light) malfunction of OHC has been discussed quite elaborately at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...lfunction.html

However, just to reiterate my experience - the FE of my OHC has gone up after the emission malfunction light has come on and as advised by Honda service guys needs replacement of the O2 sensor which was about 16k about 1 year back. Please be aware am talking about the YELLOW light and not the RED which is the engine malfunction and is very serious in nature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks