Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2023, 12:37   #1

Mahindra Major giving starting trouble

Dear all, I have a Mahindra Major 550 4WD used for agricultural work and of late it’s been giving trouble starting. The starter turns the engine but more often than not it doesn’t start. However till now after multiple attempts I am able to start it eventually. It was a very quick starter and even now on a random quick turn it starts and after that it’s all smooth. But I wish to get it to start like before on the first turn. Any help with what could be put causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

One other query I had was with the 4WD engaged. It tends to make a repetitive scraping sound matching the speed of the vehicle when going uphill. The mechanic said it’s a faulty “star joint”. Is this a common problem and should I get it replaced asap to prevent any damage to the transmission?
joshtronic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 07:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Major giving starting trouble

Quote:
...and of late it’s been giving trouble starting. The starter turns the engine but more often than not it doesn’t start. However till now after multiple attempts I am able to start it eventually.
If the starter is turning with the normal speed, then it looks like you have air in the fuel lines. Please check for it. Also, check your FIP for any issues.

Quote:
One other query I had was with the 4WD engaged. It tends to make a repetitive scraping sound matching the speed of the vehicle when going uphill. The mechanic said it’s a faulty “star joint”. Is this a common problem and should I get it replaced asap to prevent any damage to the transmission?
A faulty star joint mean the joint in your prop shaft is faulty. Not an expensive replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtronic View Post
Dear all, I have a Mahindra Major 550 4WD used for agricultural work
In any case if you are selling it, please let me know.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 09:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If the starter is turning with the normal speed, then it looks like you have air in the fuel lines. Please check for it. Also, check your FIP for any issues.
Thanks, I’ll give this a shot. Yesterday I did pump it a little but I think it needs a lot more probably if there is air. Also if this is the problem would it be repetitive? Meaning the jeep is smooth after starting everytime but the problem persists the next time round.

Quote:
A faulty star joint mean the joint in your prop shaft is faulty. Not an expensive replacement.
I’ll get this done then.

Quote:
In any case if you are selling it, please let me know.
Will do though this jeep is used for hauling here when required and there isn’t a replacement on the market. 4WD is essential for the slopes and monsoon and the alternative, a good 4WD pickup only comes with commercial plates. It is an extremely rugged vehicle though and while I’ve seen some complaints about safety aspects here on the forum I can safely say it’ll protect the occupants far better than most cars out there.
Old 17th January 2023, 16:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Please check the :-

- Fuel pump if it needs calibration. Mico fuel pumps were used in these jeeps and a good Mico authorised service outlet or even a recommended garage can check and if necessary do the job.

- The fuel injectors could be fouled up and maybe needing a cleaning job.

-Yes, the front propellor shaft's UJ cross could be needing replacement. These need to be cleaned with diesel and lubricated with grease periodically apart fr other components that need greasing as recommended in the owner's manual.

Most Viewed