Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 03:01   #1
BHPian

accent crdi give low mileage, HELP!!!!

hi guys,

i have an 2003 accet crdi which i bought used. it was 50k when i bought it and it used to give around 14-15 kmpl. now it has done 70k kms and the FE has dropped to 8-9 kmpl. i drive with a very light foot now(earlier i had a heavy foot) i got the carbon clean ttreatment done when i purchased and it is being serviced regularly and all the filters are replaced ecerytime. i dont understand what went wrong but i think it should atleast give 14-15kmpl.

what to do guys...help.

cheers
clip
Old 10th July 2007, 08:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

change your fuel filter..air filter and oil filter..DID you see the old ones..or believe the service guys..??

cos they do NOT change it everytime as some spares are imported and not available..
Old 10th July 2007, 08:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

this why we sold off our crdi at 70k

after 70k it started giving trouble and loads of it

but my uncle driver latter on found the solution for this problem he is coming back on 12 july from his pind i will ask him and tell you
Old 10th July 2007, 10:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yeah..it is rumoured that the CRDi engines do not last beyond 100K kms..but i guess if the oil change, filters [oil+air+fuel] are changed at correct intervals..i dont see why the engine will not last longer..

I too have a CRDi..that has clocked 35K kms..in case i own it around 75K kms..will definitely write my experience..

Also, how one uses an engine, largely depends on the way a vehicle behaves..If properly started and properly stopped..[read warm up for a 20 seconds on startup and idle for a minute or 2 while stopping] will aid positively..
Old 10th July 2007, 10:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling clipto CRDI's turbo has conked.
After 70k, nothing much can go wrong except premature wear and tear of the turbo due to start-stop conditions.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I have a feeling clipto CRDI's turbo has conked.
After 70k, nothing much can go wrong except premature wear and tear of the turbo due to start-stop conditions.
hi,

actually i dont have any problems with the engine or the turbo. it has great acceleration with loads of torque. ive done o-62 miles in like 14 secs with 15 incher allows and 195/55 tyres. so i dont think anythings wrong with the turbo. also there is no smoke or anything from the tail pipe. i got my engine checked everything is fine.

Headers, yes i know they have changed every filter at 5k intervals. i get my car serviced myself. although i have a driver but i dont really trust anyone when it comes to my car. i have heard stories that crdi engines conk off at around 60-70k but i dont think it would if you mantain your car properly. baaki it is a machine and anything can go wrong anytime.

manikjeet, thanks alot brother, please let me know the secret. these old guys do know their stuff.

if anyone can help increase the FE, i would be really thankful to him otherwise i might have to sell my car(which i dont want to, i love it).

cheers
clip

MODS - please change give to gives in the title of this thread. thanks

Last edited by clipto333 : 10th July 2007 at 14:40.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:20   #7
BHPian

Clippy. You have a super light foot and then also 10kmpl is like What the F...!!

Check for your worn out front axle. I suspect that's the problem. If nothing happens, sell it. Get another CRDi if you like it so much.
Old 11th July 2007, 10:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check Wheel bearings,Brakes,etc..
Check engine and gearbox after you've ruled out everything indirect.
Old 11th July 2007, 10:55   #9
BHPian

My CRDi has never given me more than 14 KmpL.Light Foot/Heavy foot/No foot,it doesnt seem to care.have 205/60 R 14 tyres.Now I try to ignore that fact because it gives superb acceleration,and handles well.
Old 11th July 2007, 11:25   #10
BHPian

hi,

can anything be done to the ecu? i can scarifies power to FE. ill get everything checked at next service.

nitrous, i got the wheel bearing and disc rotors and brake pads replaced when i bought the car. lets see what comes out.

ss, maybe it could be because of the axle. im gonna get it replaced soon. but the price of the axle is 17k apx. oouucchhh

cheers
clip
Old 11th July 2007, 12:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
My CRDi has never given me more than 14 KmpL.Light Foot/Heavy foot/No foot,it doesnt seem to care.have 205/60 R 14 tyres.Now I try to ignore that fact because it gives superb acceleration,and handles well.
how much have you run the car for--mileage your odo had clocked..?
Old 11th July 2007, 12:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey, take it to a Hyundai Authorised service centre and ask them why..Dont replace axle.. axles are all big jobs..

on a lighter side..every F1 race engine lasts 2 races..and OUR CRDis last 50K kms..way to go..
Old 11th July 2007, 13:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have a CRDI that has clocked 12k kms and it has never given me more than 13.5kmpl in the city till date and as artofzen correctly said, drive heavy/light foot whatever thats the maximum i could extract from the CRDI. Althought i drive with a heavy foot most of the times with gear changes between 2.5K to 3k rpms.

And, maximum on highway that I got was 20kmpl.

Maybe stupid point, but did you also check the possibility of adulterated fuel? try from different pumps and maybe this could be the solution
Old 11th July 2007, 15:40   #14
BHPian

Clip. Change pump from where you fuel to check. Use STP injector cleaner.
Report back.
Old 11th July 2007, 22:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary
Use STP injector cleaner.
Can get scary if additive for petrol engines is used.
Avoid using additives that are not tried or recommended for that particular engine.
CRDI engines work at injection pressure of 1600 psi. Slight variations in diesel quality/contents can ruin the fuel pump or injectors. Be very careful!

Most Viewed