Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 11:07   #1
BHPian

Puncture indicator in cars.....??

You must have noticed so many cars rushing past the traffic with a flat tyre, especially a rear one! I know all the BHPians can eaisly detect a puncture in seconds, but I guess many people cant, perticularly a rear one!! This can lead to a damaged tyre and can often be risky business as driving chracterstics change completely after a flat tyre.

My question is- Why cant we have a puncture indicatorin our cars when we have indicatore for low fuel, battery, oil pressure, temperature, engine check etc. Even in the premium cars, this feature is missing. Is is too complex a technology, rocket science or what??
Old 10th July 2007, 12:31   #2
BHPian

the puncture indicator should be under the seat of the driver so that he / she feels some vibes on his / her bottom to know theres a puncture (not the bottom but the tyre) or get the driver cushioning out and make him / her seat directly on metal seat with structs connected from below the seat to each axle end (seats to be mounted on springs)

good such drivers dont drive 6 wheelers and tractor trailers.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 10th July 2007 at 12:34.
Old 10th July 2007, 13:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Akash,

I can understand. If you are driving Swift it is very difficult if not impossible to detect rear left tyre puncture unless some other drivers point it out to you. Steering gets absolutely no feedback at all. I faced this just a week back.
Old 10th July 2007, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Acronym is TPMS - Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

Its on its way to Indian market.....Please wait

Jokes apart, we already have a thread on it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...e-sensors.html

mods pl lock this one.
Old 10th July 2007, 13:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@akash: This system already exists I think, and is called tire pressure monitoring system (see Tire Pressure Monitoring System) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

So, I don't think its the technical complexity that keeps manufacturers away from it.

I think it's manufacturers' cost-minimizing* that ensures we don't see this in India (Beemers and Mercs may be the exceptions).

*: Airbags on very few models, ABS/EBD is only optional ...
Old 10th July 2007, 14:51   #6
BHPian

i think, tpms is available on the skoda laura. i have seen it.

IMO a total flat is not that difficult to point out while driving. difficult is when you still have some pressure left it is quite difficult to judge and it can damage the wheel rims if you hit a pothole hard.

cheers
clip
Old 10th July 2007, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know all the BHPians can eaisly detect a puncture in seconds, but I guess many people cant,
Whoa there, thanks for making us Bhpians feel good.
But, even some of us so called Bhpians do get fooled sometimes.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

there are also after market TPMS which fit directly on the valve. one type shows the color coded drop in pressure, to see which u need to be outside the car. another one transmits it to a receiver inside the car. needless to say, it gives you warning in real time.

all of these have a possible hazard of relieving the pressure in case of failure, since they work by replacing the original valve for the purpose of measuring the pressure.

Also you need to balance the tire after mounting them.

My QUEST has those, but for some reason they work only when car is moving above (20 mph i think). it shows four pressure values. but does not state which belongs to which tire

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks