Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 06:09   #46
BHPian

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
That is the solution - I was at RF Motors yesterday to check my truck as it was smoking away to glory. The service manager who is a friend showed me a recent (2 weeks back) notice too all service centres from Tata Motors, asking them to insist that customers use ONLY REGULAR DIESEL and NOT to use Premium Diesel, especially for Dicor engined cars. It seems that the detergents and additives may do some cleaning upstream but result in increased particulate matter in the exhaust, spoiling the Cat Con.

In my case he said you've been able to run so far because its the 3.0, but 2.2s will start having smoke issues from 5,000 kms onwards if they regularly use the "Premium Diesel" sold here.

My troubles were sorted out for mere Rs.140 (Thats about Euro 2 for the Italians here) - they removed the Cat Con and cleaned it. The service manager also said it is due for replacement at around 50k, but after they cleaned it they found its still in pretty good condition (I wonder how they check the condition of the Catalyst by looking at it ) so I can continue for some more time.

Personally I wanted to have the cat con removed, but the chap said the EGR settings are for catcon-on pressure etc therefore removing the catcon may cause other unknown issues even though it might improve engine response. I dont know how true this is, but I'm game to drill a hole right thru that catcon.
I wish I'll have that cheap price on service...!
Get rid of catcon and EGR too, simply.
Especially on dicor engine, it is easy to get at least euro 2 emission level without catcon. I'm daily drive a Mercedes Vito van, is 2.2L direct injection, is euro 2 or 3 (I can not remember right now) and does not have catcon at all! EGR is also a sort of a fake, is one of the major trouble maker for engines, and the only purpose of that is to reduce NoX at the engine start. After that is useless. Leave the electronics working, but just put a couple of screw top on, ecu still seeing the valve, but the smoke does not get into the engine. Better performance and same emission, tested by several friends on different cars!

Ciao ciao

Ignazio
Old 28th March 2008, 10:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Hi,

I wish I'll have that cheap price on service...!
Get rid of catcon and EGR too, simply.
Especially on dicor engine, it is easy to get at least euro 2 emission level without catcon. I'm daily drive a Mercedes Vito van, is 2.2L direct injection, is euro 2 or 3 (I can not remember right now) and does not have catcon at all! EGR is also a sort of a fake, is one of the major trouble maker for engines, and the only purpose of that is to reduce NoX at the engine start. After that is useless. Leave the electronics working, but just put a couple of screw top on, ecu still seeing the valve, but the smoke does not get into the engine. Better performance and same emission, tested by several friends on different cars!

Ciao ciao

Ignazio

sir, i have removed my DICOR catcon and i'm very happy with the results, now its been more then 4 months that i've been running my DICOR without a catcon and please guide me how to disable that stupid EGR valve.

earlier catcon use to get jammed and safari use to smoke a lot and after getting it removed it smokes a little that too only when i floor the acc pedal. and now engine can easily rev upto 3500 .
Old 28th March 2008, 10:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
and now engine can easily rev upto 3500 .
Well, it does rev to a little beyond 3.5k in 1st gear anyway (at least mine does) - then it progressively revs lower as you go up the gears.

I hope no other damage will be caused by removal of the catcon - its there with a purpose isn't it?
Old 28th March 2008, 12:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, it does rev to a little beyond 3.5k in 1st gear anyway (at least mine does) - then it progressively revs lower as you go up the gears.

I hope no other damage will be caused by removal of the catcon - its there with a purpose isn't it?
yes sir its there with a purpose but i think it deals with pollution thing.
Dada motors advised me to do so as i was pissed off by catcon getting jammed frequently.
Old 28th March 2008, 13:11   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
overdose14 : sir, i have removed my DICOR catcon ...

earlier catcon use to get jammed and safari use to smoke a lot .
So why did you not get a warranty Repair/Replacement. Even if you dont use it ?
Old 28th March 2008, 17:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So why did you not get a warranty Repair/Replacement. Even if you dont use it ?
actually i never thought of this to be frank. i just wanted to get that catcon thing out. i was fed up of smoking issue even after trying every combination of fuel and system D, it also affected pick up and in gear acc.

and i will also try EGR disabling thing.

Most Viewed