Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 14:05   #1
BHPian

2600 kms and smoke in my Safari

Its close to 3 months and 2600kms later, I have a couple of feedbacks to share with all of you.

1. Installed a Sony DVD HU with front and rear Fusion component speakers installed in the doors (total cost 25K). I have currently connected the rear view camera screen to my DVD system. Will go for a bigger screen later. Sound is pretty decent. The Sony system has got excellent sound setup, so I have optimized it to get the best sound out of the speakers.

2. My smoke problem was eliminated with I switched to Shell diesel plus System-D (1ml per liter) - this was as per the advice of the Tata service engineer. After 2 tankfulls of the Shell-SystemD combo I filled about 20 liters of normal HP diesel, just to check. The black smoke was back with a vengeance! I push the accelerator pedal with a slight urgency and the vehicle pukes out a huge puff of black smoke! I again switched to Shell-SystemD today, as soon as I pulled out of the petrol station, the smoke disappeared like magic!

3. I have hardly taken the truck on the highways, hence never exceeded 100kmph/2500 rpm till now. Vehicle returns a mileage of about 9 kmpl in city with 50% AC usage.

Guys, your feedback/comments on the speakers/ICE, black smoke, use of system D and the mileage.
Old 11th July 2007, 11:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the Shell_SystemD works then i have to try this out..

Godfather
Old 11th July 2007, 11:42   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Isnt really a long-term ownership report. Therefore, this thread is moved out of the reviews section.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

At your first oil change go for Mobil Delvac MX Multigrade for your truck. Tatas have this on thier approved oil list. Well, your truck doesn't seem to like HP diesel.

I've been using normal HP diesel without any issues and mine is of '98 vintage..

But if you are satisfied with your concoction then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Its close to 3 months and 2600kms later, I have a couple of feedbacks to share with all of you.

1. Installed a Sony DVD HU with front and rear Fusion component speakers installed in the doors (total cost 25K). I have currently connected the rear view camera screen to my DVD system. Will go for a bigger screen later. Sound is pretty decent. The Sony system has got excellent sound setup, so I have optimized it to get the best sound out of the speakers.

2. My smoke problem was eliminated with I switched to Shell diesel plus System-D (1ml per liter) - this was as per the advice of the Tata service engineer. After 2 tankfulls of the Shell-SystemD combo I filled about 20 liters of normal HP diesel, just to check. The black smoke was back with a vengeance! I push the accelerator pedal with a slight urgency and the vehicle pukes out a huge puff of black smoke! I again switched to Shell-SystemD today, as soon as I pulled out of the petrol station, the smoke disappeared like magic!

3. I have hardly taken the truck on the highways, hence never exceeded 100kmph/2500 rpm till now. Vehicle returns a mileage of about 9 kmpl in city with 50% AC usage.

Guys, your feedback/comments on the speakers/ICE, black smoke, use of system D and the mileage.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:09   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the info GD, I am planning an oil change at 5K kms, thats at the first service. Tata recommends oil change at 10K kms.
Old 11th July 2007, 16:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
At your first oil change go for Mobil Delvac MX Multigrade for your truck. Tatas have this on thier approved oil list. Well, your truck doesn't seem to like HP diesel.

I've been using normal HP diesel without any issues and mine is of '98 vintage..

But if you are satisfied with your concoction then so be it.
but its mainly the crdi cars and suvs that smoke.
Old 11th July 2007, 16:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey

every diesel car smokes once in a while,and most probably when u press the paddle just too hard,so thats no big deal.

but if the problem is persistent then u shd get it checked.

my safari has done 11500Kms in last 10 months and very rarely it throws black smoke,always used the premium diesel,though when u start the engine in morning,sometimes a puff of black smoke is thrown.

try idling the engine for a min or 2 when u start it,it helps.
Old 11th July 2007, 17:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

you should try IOC normal diesel and IMO systemd added to any diesel should also work since it acts like an additive.
Old 11th July 2007, 17:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay
but its mainly the crdi cars and suvs that smoke.
Then, why is my IDI Sumo smoking??
Please explain.
Or are u just posting for the sake of posting??
Old 12th July 2007, 13:30   #10
BHPian

IMO, IDI engines smoke when the injection pump is not calibrated properly. More often than not, it is not the engine's fault.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

What is a diesel if it doesn't smoke? Having said that, since it is a coarser fuel some smoking would always be there. One should start worrying if it starts smoking continuosly. While sudden flooring of the pedal or the first thing in the morning etc. will emit smoke, it should not be a cause for worry.

And CRDis or CRDes or TDis or CDis and SUVs don't smoke per se.
Old 12th July 2007, 16:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

diesel vehicles will smoke when accel is pressed in urgency and the air is to catchup with respect to the fuel injected into cylinders,
this varies & incase you are in the powerband and and turbo is spooling this doesnt happen...
I too had this problem, (details posted in another thread) and tatas, suggested me to shift to normal diesel from good quality fuel bunk and change my driving habbits(keeping it in powerband) & yes to a comfort level it has visibly decreased.

Something is really wrong with Tata's gadgetry in respect to TMAP

EGR is also one of the culprits.. Due to our bad quality of fuels

Hope this helps
Old 13th July 2007, 14:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Wanderlust -I presume that the Safari is the Dicor. Next time at your ASC when you go in for servicing ask them to check out the EGR/EGR valve.It might throw up something to be done - a friend of mine with a Safari Dicor had a problem of jet black smoke at high RPMs, 3 K & abv (no smoke at low RPMs) for sometime and then they changed the EGR and the smoke trail is gone for good !
Old 13th July 2007, 14:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

@wanderlust: Your fuel economy also seems to be on the lower side. Get your engine checked throughly using the engine check device.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
a friend of mine with a Safari Dicor had a problem of jet black smoke at high RPMs, 3 K & abv (no smoke at low RPMs)
3K and above on a Safari Dicor . How did he reach there???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks