Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2023, 02:25   #1
BHPian

Ford EcoSport 1.5 TDCi clutch woes

PLOT
I drive a MY 2019 Ford Ecosport BS4 diesel.

Despite a fair share of gremlins, I have come to appreciate how dynamically sorted and well equipped the car is. I have had issues with the powertrain module (car refused to move/kept revving - pwt malfunction light blinking - which took ASC a week to solve), hill hold function (it switches off on its own), accessory mode (activates itself), all 4 tyres developed bulges (replaced under 5 yr Goodyear warranty but I had to pay 50% of the MRP), reverse camera drowned at 2nd service etc. Add to this how Ford Exchange Assurance abandoned me when the buyer of my old car refused to get the car registered on his name (story for another post).

STRAW
My biggest pet-peeve though, has been the clutch. Not only its hard/springy but the travel is just too much. I'm 5'7'', but to be able to fully engage I have to keep the seat way forward which then messes up the ergos. Add to this the bite point which keeps on changing on a daily basis, which makes it feel inconsistent. Nonetheless, one can adapt but what I can't fathom is how unreliable it has been i.e., @ just 18k kms the clutch started slipping and I had to get the clutch replaced (clutch, pressure plate and the bearing were changed). Ford denied goodwill warranty and quoted ~ 25K which included the flywheel too, but I found Ford ASCs of Gurugram a bit deceitful and my earlier experiences with them were not great either so, got the clutch overhaul (minus flywheel) at a reliable FNG for 8k. Clutch retained its poor qualities but the car ran fine.

Problem @ hand -
Now, the Odo stands at 35,000 kms and the reverse gear has started acting up, i.e. it never shifts in one go and makes a screeching whine while doing so. I have been managing by shifting to first before engaging the reverse but now it has really started to bug me. So, I have the following queries -
1. What could be the reason for the reverse gear not slotting?
2. Can something be done to improve the clutch ?
3. If it's the clutch -
(a) Is there same other component which I should get checked which is causing premature clutch wear ?
(b) I drove a diesel dzire (1.3 MJD) for 10 years which demanded a clutch overhaul only @ 1lac kms. I'm not treating the ford any different, so why is the clutch dying so soon on me ?

Last edited by Chandrahas : 30th January 2023 at 02:27.
Chandrahas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 18:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5 TDCi clutch woes

You have not mentioned what type of gearbox your EcoSport has, however since your car is a diesel I am assuming it is the 5 speed manual transmission. The IB5 gearbox that Ford uses in these cars is fairly bulletproof and well sorted out, however it does have this peculiar habit of not shifting into reverse in first attempt to do so. When this happens, it makes the annoying teeth grinding gear clashing sound. The simplest way to avoid this is to clutch/de clutch into neutral, then once again press the clutch and shift into reverse. In other words, shift in reverse with double clutch action.
PratikPatel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 19:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
however it does have this peculiar habit of not shifting into reverse in first attempt to do so. When this happens, it makes the annoying teeth grinding gear clashing sound.
Yes I too experience this sometimes (I drive an Aspire Diesel), never felt like a serious issue though, maybe because I am coming from a motorcycle where shifting gears is a game of probability (there is 70% chance that your gear will shift after your action, if not then try again )

This is mostly observed when I have half-heartedly pulled to reverse the first time. A strong input never causes this issue. Apart from this the clutch is doing just good.

Last edited by masterChief007 : 9th March 2023 at 19:37.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 00:48   #4
BHPian

I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. We have three Ecosports (1st pre face-lift Diesel Titanium(O) - 85K ODO, 2nd Face-lift P auto - ODO 23K and 3rd Face-lift Diesel S - ODO 54K). All of have them have been trouble free and the GBs are pretty bullet proof. BS4 face-lift diesel is my favorite coz of its light clutch, but reverse has always been a problem sometimes it does act up if you are trying to change gears on half clutch.

Coming to ASC - they all have become greedy and don't care about any number of complaints you launch in Ford. Most of them are trying to rip off the customers. Find a good FNG and get all your work done from there. We have found a good FNG and carry out most of our work from him. All the best.

Last edited by knightfurry : 10th March 2023 at 00:50.
knightfurry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 08:37   #5

We have a MY 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium Diesel.

It has crossed 250k. On average the clutch lasts for around 75k. We have always preferred to get it serviced from a trusted FNG as Ford Genuine Parts are also easily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
The IB5 gearbox that Ford uses in these cars is fairly bulletproof and well sorted out, however it does have this peculiar habit of not shifting into reverse in first attempt to do so. When this happens, it makes the annoying teeth grinding gear clashing sound. The simplest way to avoid this is to clutch/de clutch into neutral, then once again press the clutch and shift into reverse. In other words, shift in reverse with double clutch action.
Its a common problem and this is the best way to manage it.

However, that being said most recently ours has developed a problem that is quite confusing. When driving, on some occasions the gear just refuses to slot into 2nd, 4th and reverse. There is no common pattern on why this happens but makes the situation quite challenging. The FNG has already replaced the gear shift assembly however that has not solved it. Their best guess is that this might be because of Clutch Overheating but can only be verified once the gear box is opened.
GH0ST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 01:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrahas View Post
My biggest pet-peeve though, has been the clutch. Not only its hard/springy but the travel is just too much.

Thanks for posting Chandrahas!
I have been on the lookout for a used EcoSport TDCi and notice that the internet is awash with clutch hard/springy issues. Some folks have even contemplated selling the car due to this even on Team-BHP .https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...-now-sold.html (The Bronze Stallion | 2016 Ford Ecosport TDCi Titanium | Ownership Review. EDIT: Now sold!)

Found this interesting post by a doctor about his EcoSport clutch:
https://www.mouthshut.com/review/For...ew-otlprntuupn
These sentiments echo on YouTube comments, CarTrade etc as well.
On the flip side there are some (few?) who claim it is not hard.

All this has brought back memories of me using an EcoSport on the highway for about 200Kms and then using my A-Star the following day. When I took my car out from the parking area I felt something was terribly wrong. The clutch felt like it was dead! After a couple of mins I realized I felt that way because of my previous drive in a diesel car. I was under the impression that the clutch would be hard on all diesels and didnt give it further thought, however now I realise it was specific to the EcoSport TDCi.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 08:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST View Post
We have a MY 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium Diesel.

It has crossed 250k.
Probably the highest run ecosport on this forum.
Pls do share your detailed ownership experience on the ecosport thread wrt maintenance, issues faced (ASC or FNG) and what kind of maintenance schedule you followed, Usage pattern (city/hwy), your favourite brand of engine oil, best tyres for ecosport.
See you around!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks