Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 09:51   #1876
BHPian

Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

OHC lovers,

I have a 02 model 1.5 OHC clocked 110k km on the odo. FC is done till 2022 and it's close to my heart - This OHC. It's been a year with me and have ran 7k km once I purchased last year. Did a recent service at Honda and here are the recommended areas of service :

1. FR RH & RR RH wheel bearings need to be replaced
2. FR LH Shock absorbers need to be replaced
3. FR both stabilizer bar link need to be replaced
4. RR LH stabilizer bar link to be replaced

I would like to know what is the best procedure to get this done from the following below. Or more better ideas are most welcome. I would be using the car for another 2 years minimum but always particular about running the car in pristine condition. I occasionally do highways once in 2 months sure and else mostly city ride. It has 15 inch Yokohoma tyres with GRT alloys in it, rest all is stock.

a. Authorized Honda service. I have asked for the quote will share once I regain my senses after looking the figures.
b. Source the OEM parts and get it done by reliable mechanic
c. Source the spare parts [Non OEM tend to be as good as OEM or superior some times works better than OEM] and get it repaired from reliable mechanic

Please share the online links or offline ways to get the spare parts sourced. I want it to be done in an economical way but wants the car to be in perfect condition.

Regards
prsn
prsnck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 16:03   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post

a. Authorized Honda service. I have asked for the quote will share once I regain my senses after looking the figures.
c. Source the spare parts [Non OEM tend to be as good as OEM or superior some times works better than OEM] and get it repaired from reliable mechanic

Please share the online links or offline ways to get the spare parts sourced. I want it to be done in an economical way but wants the car to be in perfect condition.

Regards
prsn

I recommend option C - source any spares which are of good quality (like you rightly said, can be better than OEM. Even OEM works!).

You are not in my city so I can't recommend you the ways to get the spares. Local boys should be here soon to guide you!
Old 8th July 2017, 14:36   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I recommend option C - source any spares which are of good quality (like you rightly said, can be better than OEM. Even OEM works!).

You are not in my city so I can't recommend you the ways to get the spares. Local boys should be here soon to guide you!

Thanks for the suggestions. Is it possible to get a quote - with part number, price and the brand from your sources. Or can I reach them out via - Mail/IM/Phone or any other means.

I can try arrange my friends in case co-located there. Meanwhile let me wait for Bnglr folks reply.

Rgrds
Prsn
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:12   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
OHC lovers,

I have a 02 model 1.5 OHC clocked 110k km on the odo. FC is done till 2022 and it's close to my heart - This OHC. It's been a year with me and have ran 7k km once I purchased last year. Did a recent service at Honda and here are the recommended areas of service :

1. FR RH & RR RH wheel bearings need to be replaced
2. FR LH Shock absorbers need to be replaced
3. FR both stabilizer bar link need to be replaced
4. RR LH stabilizer bar link to be replaced

I would like to know what is the best procedure to get this done from the following below. Or more better ideas are most welcome. I would be using the car for another 2 years minimum but always particular about running the car in pristine condition. I occasionally do highways once in 2 months sure and else mostly city ride. It has 15 inch Yokohoma tyres with GRT alloys in it, rest all is stock.

Regards
prsn
OHC Guys,

Did a small research till date and here are the analysis. So plans to change the STABILISER BAR LINK [FR & RR] with Honda OEM and shocks wheel bearing after market. Guys looking forward to your little cents of info to proceed.

IS Delphi a better brand than Gabriel in shocks. Heard GB is slightly hard.

PARTS OEM PRICE
FR RH & RR RH WHEEL BEARINGS NEED TO BE REPLACED. FR 3400 + RR 7000
FR LH SHOCK ABSORBERS NEED TO BE REPLACED. 9000
FR BOTH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED. 5000
RR LH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED - 3000

After Market Price

FR RH & RR RH WHEEL BEARINGS NEED TO BE REPLACED - 2000 [NSG or some brand]
FR LH SHOCK ABSORBERS NEED TO BE REPLACED. 2300 [Gabriel]
FR BOTH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED. Not Available
RR LH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED - Not Available
Old 28th August 2017, 23:12   #1880
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy a 2001 Honda City VTEC as my second car, replacing my very well maintained 2014 Ritz Zxi. Frankly I donot need a second car because of which the Ritz is being sold however I am forcefully making my head follow my heart. I intend to use it for daily office runs of a total of 10 kms. The condition looks to be fine.

Is it okay to go ahead with one ?
Also it seems you donot have insurance for such old cars online when I was looking for a quote. How does one get the same and can it be comprehensive ?
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 00:12   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am looking to buy a 2001 Honda City VTEC as my second car, replacing my very well maintained 2014 Ritz Zxi. Frankly I donot need a second car because of which the Ritz is being sold however I am forcefully making my head follow my heart. I intend to use it for daily office runs of a total of 10 kms. The condition looks to be fine.

Is it okay to go ahead with one ?
Also it seems you donot have insurance for such old cars online when I was looking for a quote. How does one get the same and can it be comprehensive ?
It is never easy to say no to a VTEC, but keep in mind you are selling a hatchback and buying a sedan. Also you have not mentioned which is the first car you have and how old it is. You can buy a VTEC as a weekend car that can be modified. But I would say if second car is really not the need please pass the offer. Rather do a lateral upgrade with the money you have from selling your Ritz.

Also regarding the insurance, you can go to any agent and get a third party insurance done, also as this is a 2001 car, you would need to get the Green Tax paid.
Old 29th August 2017, 10:11   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
It is never easy to say no to a VTEC, but keep in mind you are selling a hatchback and buying a sedan. Also you have not mentioned which is the first car you have and how old it is. You can buy a VTEC as a weekend car that can be modified. But I would say if second car is really not the need please pass the offer. Rather do a lateral upgrade with the money you have from selling your Ritz.

Also regarding the insurance, you can go to any agent and get a third party insurance done, also as this is a 2001 car, you would need to get the Green Tax paid.
'It is never easy to say no to a VTEC' , this is exactly the point.

The other car is a new 2017 Honda City. I donot have issues driving a sedan and even though in Bangalore, my office timing and route is free of any traffic. Also my office is just 5 kms from my house. The Ritz I will sell anyway and pay off a loan.

The VTEC is a childhood crush and I am getting it at a very compelling price. All stock.

Below are the pics of the car in question

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-inkedimg20170828wa0011_li.jpg
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img20170828wa0006.jpg

Last edited by Altocumulus : 29th August 2017 at 10:31.
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:42   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The other car is a new 2017 Honda City. I donot have issues driving a sedan and even though in Bangalore, my office timing and route is free of any traffic. Also my office is just 5 kms from my house. The Ritz I will sell anyway and pay off a loan.

The VTEC is a childhood crush and I am getting it at a very compelling price. All stock.

Attachment 1670525
Attachment 1670526
Have you bought it ? How much did you pay ?
Are you sure its a VTEC ? From my experience VTECs had red dials.
Old 8th October 2017, 18:18   #1884
BHPian

Hi all,

My 2002 1.5 Exi is having starting trouble. Given the symptoms, I suspect it is the starter. To confirm this, I want to try jump-starting the car. My other car is an E-class (W124) which has a 70aH battery. Is it safe to use this battery to jump start the City? Both being 12.6V, shouldn't it be fine?
Old 16th March 2018, 16:47   #1885
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1670525
Attachment 1670526
Altocumulus,

First up congrats !! Awesome buy and neat car ! Stock vtecs without abused are hard to find ! And fully agree with you !! I too a big fan of OHC's and finally could lay hand on 1.5 in bangalore. My recents posts are below.

Did u get the insure done. I could manage to get a new comprehensive insure for my 2002 model city via my known New India friend. Let me know.

Are you in bnglr..PM me once free; we can catch up-

Regards
Prsn
Old 16th March 2018, 21:16   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Altocumulus,

First up congrats !! Awesome buy and neat car ! Stock vtecs without abused are hard to find ! And fully agree with you !! I too a big fan of OHC's and finally could lay hand on 1.5 in bangalore. My recents posts are below.

Did u get the insure done. I could manage to get a new comprehensive insure for my 2002 model city via my known New India friend. Let me know.

Are you in bnglr..PM me once free; we can catch up-

Regards
Prsn
Unfortunately it didnt work out.

The car was in a very sorry state, I wouldn't have taken it even it was offered for free. However I search is still on and I have two cars in sight.

One in Mumbai and the other in Kolkata. The have driven the Kolkata car and has a Raj Hingorani exhaust as well. Has a wee little bit of rusting but nothing major. Also the owner is pretty well known to us. However he is asking for a higher price compared to Kolkata standards.
I am travelling to Mumbai end of the month to check the other car as well.

What I am worried about is the 15 year NGT rule. That's what is pulling me back. I don't want to buy something and having to scrap it in 1 year.
Old 9th December 2018, 09:37   #1887
BHPian

Finally selling of my Honda city in exchange for the volkswagen ameo TDI, lots of wonderful memories associated with the car, incredibly difficult to part with it but there seems to be no option now.
Old 4th July 2019, 18:43   #1888
BHPian

Guys I have a 2002 Type 2 Vtec, I am facing stalling issues with the car. The RPM fluctuates and the engine comes to a halt,if I don't increase the throttle. This happens intermittently without any pattern. It seems the TPS sensor is malfunctioning. I have got the throttle body cleaned several times, however the issue still persists. The last option is to replace the throttle body with a second hand or a Taiwan made new throttle body. Any thoughts on what are my best options here.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:45   #1889
BHPian

OHC owners - I have posted some items for grabs on the Giveaway thread - see here in case you have a requirement

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4656543 (The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian)
Old 19th September 2019, 11:06   #1890
BHPian

Folks,

2003 Vtec had a battery change and post that the remote lock/unlock is not working. What can be the issue. Will it be faulty or loose wiring ? Rest everything (lights, Horn, Power windows, Stereo) works fine.

Background - The 2014 year Amaron Battery went kaput and post that car was not used for 3 weeks in the covered parking. Just for my satisfaction tried the vehicle start with temporary battery and everything worked fine, though the remote locking system took little bit (say less than 1min) to get activated and switched on. As you all know there is immobilizer in vtec (OHC) for which the engine will not get started without switching on via remote (Honda remote lock system)
Changed battery yesterday tried the same mechanism via switch on the remote lock open, but nothing happened. Light glows in remote sensor, that's all no other activity. Headlamps, Horn, Stereo, Power windows all working fine. Engine will not get started unless I switch on the lock via remote :(

Has anyone experienced the same and give me probable suggestions to get it fixed. Hope no other big bomb and praying to god save me.

Regards
Prsn

Last edited by prsnck : 19th September 2019 at 11:08. Reason: Added one more point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks