Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2019, 15:43   #1891
BHPian

Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Folks,

2003 Vtec had a battery change and post that the remote lock/unlock is not working. What can be the issue. Will it be faulty or loose wiring ? Rest everything (lights, Horn, Power windows, Stereo) works fine.

Background - The 2014 year Amaron Battery went kaput and post that car was not used for 3 weeks in the covered parking. Just for my satisfaction tried the vehicle start with temporary battery and everything worked fine, though the remote locking system took little bit (say less than 1min) to get activated and switched on. As you all know there is immobilizer in vtec (OHC) for which the engine will not get started without switching on via remote (Honda remote lock system)
Changed battery yesterday tried the same mechanism via switch on the remote lock open, but nothing happened. Light glows in remote sensor, that's all no other activity. Headlamps, Horn, Stereo, Power windows all working fine. Engine will not get started unless I switch on the lock via remote :(

Has anyone experienced the same and give me probable suggestions to get it fixed. Hope no other big bomb and praying to god save me.

Regards
Prsn

Folks - I found it out. There is a wiring for the remote (Central Lock) that goes connected to + terminal of battery. Its a copper wire rather normal one :( It got cut, maybe from the battery guy who replaced it.

My bad time - someone need to connect (hold that manually with hand) and remote central lock works, I unlocked the same and started the car. Oh the vtec - it spurrs to life !! But I still need to repair the copper wire - hope I can get the replacement original from honda. Its really a good security feature not to miss !!

Hope this helps someone in future. !! I will try to add pictures later.

regards
prsn
prsnck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:36   #1892
BHPian

Folks ,
1.Im in dire need of the silencer assembly of the type 2 1.3 exi. whatever parts i ordered turned out waste . the rear assembly is not a direct fit from wherever i ordered.Is it possible to make a complete assembly .
2.Now is it possible to convert manual ORVM to electric from that of the VTEC
Old 6th January 2021, 18:51   #1893
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda vtec. I am facing this issue with car jerking at low rpm while modulating the accelerator in city traffic.

From what I have read on the forum, the issue lies with the ECU as its a pre 2003 model.

Can I replace just the ECU to that of 2003 model. If yes, Is it easy to get my hands on a cheaper used spare? Or can we remap the current ECU with that of the parameters present in 2003.

The stock 2003 model ECU is approximately 40k on boodmo.com which is a tad too much I would like to spend on this machine.

The RD stand alone ECU r200 is even more expensive.

Looking for your support.

thanks,

Anil
Old 5th June 2023, 11:35   #1894
BHPian

Hello All,

It’s been a while I posted anything here. One of my previous OHC seller a senior citizen used to tell - As age goes up the financials are better, but wish I get more time.

Though money is not more but ok with gods grace part 2 is perfectly right.

Coming straight to point. My 2003 vtec run 81,000km yes you heard it right 81k km - the black vtec very close to my heart needs a Distributor O ring as per SA in whitefield honda. The engine oil leaks pics I will post here to know anyway from experts here as per the area it is falling. I will get the engine Bay Area pics also later. I think honda folks also are best bet to identity if there is any other leaks across or is it from distributor only.

This was my second visit - first visit we thought was oil seals so got hold original honda 3 seals and oil pan packing with my lovely dear friend in Chandigarh Honda. Then they came to know the distributor O Ring is needed and change that will fix oil leaks. So nothing is done so far with 3 oil seals in hand and the oil pan packing. All the diagnoses are done without taking the vehicle on ramp but I believe as they got a type 2 expert to see the oil leaks physically in front of me and just by the looks of it. Should I take a second opinion from other FNG or ask again Honda folks to put this on ramp and do detailed investigation. It’s simple an engine oil leak is very common in all type 2 - and areas are 3 oil seals, oil pan packing, valve packing and distributor O Ring. Only the valve packing is changed now with Original Honda part. Nothing complex here - but considering the time I have for a travel in 2 weeks - so I’m going to believe them unless anyone give me a better suggestion.

But no where I could get hold of this distributor O Ring. Part number photo attached. Even with my friend in Chandigarh is taking time. The point is I need to take the vtec to KL for a renewal. Tbhp always had been my saviour many a times in my need of the hours posts and requirements.

I need to fix this then only can travel the 350km up and return else is a risk with engine oil leak from distributor as per they claim. I need to travel by max 20th June for renewal.

Will there be anyone in this group aware or can help with the part or give me suggestions. I will be grateful for the life in this mission critical time to fix and take my vtec to KL.

Hope someone and god can help me in this grave situation. Will anyone in this forum can give me pointers or have this item in stock. :(
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-e37baaea037040c68660fa853137a5c9.jpeg  

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-1f646508447645caafc0ea7f91c4e20b.jpeg  

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-650e751871a44e4dbc7626d029a9f116.jpeg  

Old 28th October 2023, 23:00   #1895

Hi,

I have a 2003 Honda city vtec. I'm facing the very well reported Power steering issue - it has gotten way too heavy since a month. Can someone share any contacts of mechanics in Mumbai who have worked on this?

Looking for your support and reply.

thanks,

Atharva
Old 29th October 2023, 13:13   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles27 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2003 Honda city vtec. I'm facing the very well reported Power steering issue - it has gotten way too heavy since a month. Can someone share any contacts of mechanics in Mumbai who have worked on this?

Looking for your support and reply.

thanks,

Atharva
Try Jatin at Wagenwerkz. He is expensive but good.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 15:41   #1897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Try Jatin at Wagenwerkz. He is expensive but good.
Thanks a lot! I shall try him!
Old 30th October 2023, 12:39   #1898
BHPian

You can simply replace, without any issues. Try finding a used one! Remapping the obd2 ecu on the ohc vtec is not possible. You may also go the other route of using a piggy back or a standalone engine management system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda vtec. I am facing this issue with car jerking at low rpm while modulating the accelerator in city traffic.

From what I have read on the forum, the issue lies with the ECU as its a pre 2003 model.

Can I replace just the ECU to that of 2003 model. If yes, Is it easy to get my hands on a cheaper used spare? Or can we remap the current ECU with that of the parameters present in 2003.

The stock 2003 model ECU is approximately 40k on boodmo.com which is a tad too much I would like to spend on this machine.

The RD stand alone ECU r200 is even more expensive.

Looking for your support.

thanks,

Anil
Old 27th January 2024, 22:03   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
looks nice, and cleanly executed job.

could you tell details about the installation procedure, wiring, and is that plastic cladding matte black in color? please post some picture taken in daylight, if you could tomorrow.

EDIT: please think about changing the front number plate on your OHC, it - kind of - spoils the look.
I know I'm quoting a post which is more than a decade old. This paricular city somehow managed to survive after being abused by multiple owners. The current owner is a friend of mine and is a mechanical engineering student. He has painstakingly managed to bring it to running condition by himself and with the help of the good fellows at Kikshift Mumbai. Thorough restoration is pending. Dyno figures are 105.7hp at 6800rpm and 128nm at 4700rpm (lost only around 5 nm torque), tested at the KS Motorsport Dyno. And by the way, it still wears that odd sized number plate.

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img_3512.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 27th January 2024 at 22:44. Reason: As requested
TurboKat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 17:37   #1900

I was looking to buy a Honda City 2001 VTEC and noticed the car wouldn't rev past 7,100 RPM. I've seen videos where these cars reach 7,500 RPM easily in stock form.

What could be causing this issue? Does the car only rev to 7,500 RPM in neutral? I tested it in first and second gear.

Is this a common thing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks