Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 21:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Petrol leak from Carburettor - Mach 500

Hey Guys,
I had this exact same issue explained below..
Royal Enfield - Login - Motorcycle India, Bike India, Two wheeler India, Royal Enfield, Thunderbird India, Adventure ride, Leisure riding, Bullet India
I just reached home and started searching for the solution.
I somehow got my bike home turning the petrol knob ON/OFF on the way to prevent leackage....
I was wondering whether I shall go ahead and open the carb to find out whether there is a dirt or the floats are stuck or there is a puncture in the float!!!!
Mine is the Machismo 500 and its run just 17xxK now..
I'm searching for the solution if I get something ,, else I will go and start troubleshooting it myself... I'll definately check this place again in few minutes if I'm lucky and someone gives me some more ideas,, otherwise, I know what Brian told to do with this issue @ above link.....
on a sidenote,, it was leacking eventhough I turn the petrol knob off,, after hitting the base of the carb with one of the tools in my kit,, it at least stopped leacking when the petrol knob is OFF - however, it leacks when I turn the petrol knob ON....
Old 12th July 2007, 11:58   #2
BHPian

yes Ketan the Float should be the problem
but first check if the Tank Cover is clean for air passage.
check the gasket and screws holding the cup.
then
check for
float bowl
loose float bowl screws.
damaged float bowl oring
dirty needle valves

WARNING dont adjust the float if u dont know how to set the float level as it will affect cold / hot running.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 12th July 2007 at 12:09.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

This problem was pretty common in cast iron 500s, what works for me is give the carb couple of mild shots. you can do it with a small stone or spanner. its the issue with the float.

But never had issue with my machismo 350 whcih has a BS28 carb and Mach 500 has BS29. what i recommend is to get the carb cleaned. guess one of your jets is blocked.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
This problem was pretty common in cast iron 500s, what works for me is give the carb couple of mild shots. you can do it with a small stone or spanner. its the issue with the float.

But never had issue with my machismo 350 whcih has a BS28 carb and Mach 500 has BS29. what i recommend is to get the carb cleaned. guess one of your jets is blocked.
i would recommend never to strike the carb with stone or spanner as it is bound to crack when u least expect and then Msealing or replacement is just an unwelcome pain. Stopping the leak this way is only temporary and it sure will happen again.

as its most likely a float stuck issue the best is to get the carb down and clean and check needle.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
i would recommend never to strike the carb with stone or spanner as it is bound to crack when u least expect and then Msealing or replacement is just an unwelcome pain. Stopping the leak this way is only temporary and it sure will happen again.

as its most likely a float stuck issue the best is to get the carb down and clean and check needle.
Yae i agree, thats just a temporary solution, it works well if you are in road and the carb starts leaking badly the moment you put it on. i was asked to do this by my mech
Old 12th July 2007, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the response guys..
I had a look at the carb again after dinner last night and it was not leaking at that time at least.. I thought tapping the carb last evening migh have had some effect here... there was one guy around who suggested me this and he actually took spanner and tapped carb (he kept telling me "dont worry!!" "We had been riding 1959 bullet uptill Mumbai - you should not worry about all this" )
however, I was sad looking at the dformed carb bowl shape of my bike after he tapped it..

No problem while riding down to the office this morning. I'll get this checked with a mech soon and if possible, I will have it cleaned and put the filter also (if that helps)..

Most Viewed