Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
A very strange thing happened today. I was coming back home from the factory and stopped by at a tyre shop to get a routine air pressure check done.

I decided to fill Nitrogen instead of air. So all the air was removed from the tyres using a vacuum hose from the N2 unit, and nitrogen was filled @ 30psi.

Now the strange thing is that with air @ even 29psi, the ride is very stiff with those 15"ers.
Here with nitrogen @ 30psi, the ride was fantastic! and what surprised me the most is that the very famous "khatak" sound which had been irritating me for a while now, disappeared. Also, some other minor suspension noises vanished!

I couldn't believe it! There is no theory which backs up my experience, but it happened! I dont know how!

I know this is a wierd question, but has anyone else experienced improved ride quality after filling nitrogen!???
That is strange. I have not heard of filling Nitrogen helping that much with ride quality. I need try it and experience it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
strange. If its just with the ride stiffness then the guys running 13 inchers should not have any problem.

Any guys on 13 inchers have the khatak sound issue?
I dont think 13" or 15" has anything to do with the Khatak. I have 15s and there is absolutely no Khatak-kali.
Old 4th June 2008, 07:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Hi spad, I think thats the fuel pump which does this kind of noise infact my Baleno also does it once u turn the ignition, stays for a second or 2 and then shuts up.
This was the sound that I got from day 1 and I think its quite normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
No khatak sound in my ride till now.*Touchwood*
I dont get the khatak sound after I switched to broader tyres, but there are a billion other rattling sound in the car anyway
Old 4th June 2008, 10:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Hi spad, I think thats the fuel pump which does this kind of noise infact my Baleno also does it once u turn the ignition, stays for a second or 2 and then shuts up. I think u should clean the pump , as my bro who owns an Indica had the same problem iggy'd it for a long time, then one "not-so-fine" day the fuel pump gave away and he got stuck. Just check it out with the mechanics, I might be wrong though.
The fuel pump sound is normal. Moreover, the baleno's fuel pump cannot be dismantled, i.e. you cannot clean it nor can you replace just the pump motor. Its a sealed assembly which has to be replaced upon failure. It costs roughly Rs. 10,000/-
Old 4th June 2008, 10:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

shrivz, the fuel pump sounds like someone is blowing a trumpet when it starts up for the first time. Is that normal or unusual?
Old 4th June 2008, 14:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
shrivz, the fuel pump sounds like someone is blowing a trumpet when it starts up for the first time. Is that normal or unusual?
As long as the Fuel Pump does not make a "Bhataak" sound after the trumpet, I think it should be fine!
Old 4th June 2008, 16:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
As long as the Fuel Pump does not make a "Bhataak" sound after the trumpet, I think it should be fine!
Poor Shrivz must have heard that "Bhataak" sound when the fuel pump on his Baleno conked out recently.. Dont want to give em company
Old 4th June 2008, 16:33   #52
BHPian

hehe.. well, my fuel pump problem started with the trumpet sort of sound.. It led to low fuel pressure which somehow let to misfiring.

I was lucky that my baleno decided to bust her fuel pump near an authorised service station where I got it replaced the next day.

Shailendra, start saving up for a new fuel pump! Ideally replace it before you get stranded on the road.

NOTE: The service station guys said that nothing could be done about the sound and that the fuel pump is to be replaced upon failure.

EDIT: There was no bhataak sound or anything, the car was running fine, I stopped at poona motors for some work after which she just refused to start!

Last edited by shrivz : 4th June 2008 at 16:35.
Old 9th June 2008, 16:39   #53
BHPian

Hey nothing to worry about the ignition noise. It is the fuel pump. For some odd reason I like that sound and I start mine only after that thing shuts up. By the way shrivz the nitrogen stuff you spoke about was pretty good. Got to try it out.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:50   #54
BHPian

During half or full turns, if I hit a pothole or a stone.. I have been noticing a “metallic clunking” noise from the steering column. While Maruti has changed the complete column the problem still persists

Have u by any chance checked the ball joints????
I has similar issues in zen.....trued everything later found the culprit in worn out ball joints
Old 9th June 2008, 20:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Say when the AC compressor switches on - do Baleno's normally shudder/shiver a lot?
Old 9th June 2008, 20:19   #56
BHPian

Hiya Shuvc,

Not mine I guess every other Baleno is individual .. as I have 14 inchers .. with 185 tyres .. and Nitrogen .... the Khatak sound..still persists and ..... is my music to my ears ..

however I am now worried by the fuel pump seizure ..!! .. can soembody shrivsz share at what kms .. ...did this failure happen....

trying to determine Mean time between failures .... .

Cheers

shenoy
Old 9th June 2008, 22:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

My baleno's fuel pump has been blowing its trumpet for the last 30,000 kms without fail!! .. So I dont think that sound is a sign that its about to fail.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:47   #58
BHPian

I took my Baleno after a major accident repair(right side collision). No Front side damage, not even the head light.

After taking car delivery, there is a noise when ever i steer. Mostly in a 90 degree turn or a U-Turn. Sound is very irritable and power steering is not as smooth as before and during noise I had to put more strength to steer.

Technical advisor dtected and said "Power Steering Pump" gone and he said it will cost around 50,000.

My question are here now.
1. How come power steering pump got damaged while not even the head light broken. Is it that they messed up during body repair?
2. Should not Insurance pay this amount as it's due to impact of accident?
3. Does this part come under Insurance, I've extended warranty and my car is under warranty now.
4. Does this part really cost 50K?
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:19   #59
Team-BHP Support

50K for a power steering pump! Can someone confirm this?
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I took my Baleno after a major accident repair(right side collision). No Front side damage, not even the head light.

After taking car delivery, there is a noise when ever i steer. Mostly in a 90 degree turn or a U-Turn. Sound is very irritable and power steering is not as smooth as before and during noise I had to put more strength to steer.

Technical advisor dtected and said "Power Steering Pump" gone and he said it will cost around 50,000.

My question are here now.
1. How come power steering pump got damaged while not even the head light broken. Is it that they messed up during body repair?
3. Does this part come under Insurance, I've extended warranty and my car is under warranty now.
Akash , here is something I found after a quick google search.

Maruti Parts, Indian Car Parts, Automobile Parts Exporter, Automotive Components India

A related thread also : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sold-here.html

Quote:
Quite possible it could have dislodged itself from the mount location during the impact ?

Quote:
Ideally yes , by wait for our inhouse insurance gurus to respond. There is already a thread on the Insurance Queries and you can post there.

Quote:
From my experience , parts which fail pre-maturely are covered under warranty. If the power steering pump went kaput coz of the hit the car took, unlikely that they would replace it. I speak from experience coz my friends baleno's rear strut had to be replaced after it took a hit. Wasn't covered under warranty.

Quote:
Gimme time till tomorrow and I will confirm.

I remember member binz had put up a linky with the parts pricing for the baleno. Cant seem to find it though.

Most Viewed