Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2007, 13:01   #1
BHPian

How to change wiper blades: A pictorial guide

Hi folks,

I finally got to replacing my stock car wipers with Bosch ones today on my Wagon R. Thought I would take a few pictures to share with you folks.

Car : Wagon R Vxi (2006)
Changing wiper blades (stock to Bosch - Rs 270/- for the pair)
Reason for changing: OEM ones causing too much streaking.

Ready to install:

Steps:

1. Lift up wiper arm, and set blade to 90 degrees with arm.

2. Press tab to "release" wiper blade from wiper arm. With tab pressed, "push" blades downloads along wiper arm.

The blade will thus be "released" from the arm.

3. Place wiper arm on windshield gently (to avoid it from slipping and cracking the windshield - very important)

4. Reverse method while installing new wiper blades. The Bosch wipers did not have the same kind of the tab like the OEM ones had.

Look at video for installing new blades.

You are done! Will post once I am back in heavy rains to post experience.

Last edited by johy : 14th July 2007 at 13:04.
johy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2007, 13:49   #2
BHPian

Thanks buddy, was really helpful.
Do post the reviews of Bosch Viper Blades

Vijay
Old 16th July 2007, 22:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

BOSCH Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Thanks buddy, was really helpful.
Do post the reviews of Bosch Viper Blades

Vijay
My experience : BOSCH blades are good enough for one monsoon..my stock syndicate blades in my Versa lasted two monsoons under the same severity.
Old 16th July 2007, 22:16   #4
BHPian

Thanx Johy.
How often should we change the wiper? And how to avoid marks on the windshield from the wiper?
Old 16th July 2007, 23:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I replaced my car's wiper blades with bosch's.
Its been over a year and she wipes fine.
But,there's a stroking sound though.
Syndicates are hard to source.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzader View Post
Thanx Johy.
How often should we change the wiper? And how to avoid marks on the windshield from the wiper?
Kruzader, I think like vigsom said, a year or two, depending on the brand and the usage. Where I live, it often rains elephants and hippos, and a year or two (at the maximum). Good blades will have minimum streaking - that is the reason I changed over to Bosch, gives me a good clean wipe. Will try to get a video when it raining hard.

@nitrous: I will try Syndicate soon; I found a vendor who has them.

The built quality of the Bosch is pretty good. The weight of two of the OEM blades = one Bosch blade.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Kruzader, I think like vigsom said, a year or two, depending on the brand and the usage. Where I live, it often rains elephants and hippos, and a year or two (at the maximum). Good blades will have minimum streaking - that is the reason I changed over to Bosch, gives me a good clean wipe. Will try to get a video when it raining hard.

@nitrous: I will try Syndicate soon; I found a vendor who has them.

The built quality of the Bosch is pretty good. The weight of two of the OEM blades = one Bosch blade.

dont take that as neccesarily good thing. for all you know you may be doubling load on the wiper motor, and if the motor is not rated for it, then it will pack up after a while!!

that said i use bosch myself, and find they are really good. prefer them to the syndicates which came OEM with my car.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:29   #8
BHPian

Why I asked was that my previous car had streak marks on its windshield. It was difficult to see very clearly in the night. So, I am willing to change it even after 6 months if I am not overdoing it.

Yes, I found Bosch to be very good.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead View Post
dont take that as neccesarily good thing. for all you know you may be doubling load on the wiper motor, and if the motor is not rated for it, then it will pack up after a while!!
Revvhead, the thought did occur to me when I unpacked the wiper blades - what if? Given the quality of Maruti's wiper blades, I would not put my money on its motor -- but I need the better vision pretty bad. It rains really hard here.

@Kruzader, better to change as soon as you see the streak marks coming.

Last edited by johy : 17th July 2007 at 15:04.
Old 30th May 2010, 11:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

is right arm to the left or the left is to the right?

Hi guys,
i got new wiper arms for my 800.Now one of them say fit to the right and the other says left which has me confused.Now is the right, to the right while i am facing the car standing in front of the bonnet or is it to the right while i am sitting inside the car. ie to make it simple will the right wiper go to the passenger side or will it go to the driver side.

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th May 2010 at 12:02.
Old 30th May 2010, 12:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi guys,
i got new wiper arms for my 800.Now one of them say fit to the right and the other says left which has me confused.Now is the right, to the right while i am facing the car standing in front of the bonnet or is it to the right while i am sitting inside the car. ie to make it simple will the right wiper go to the passenger side or will it go to the driver side.

thanks
It is when you're sitting in the car i.e driver's side. 'Right' means right hand side wiper arm in front of the driver.

Cheers!

PS - An easy way to identify the wipers; the driver's side blade is nearly always larger than the passenger side.

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th May 2010 at 12:54. Reason: added PS
Old 26th January 2014, 16:36   #12
BHPian

Re: How to change wiper blades: A pictorial guide

Guys,

I too replaced the stock wiper blades on my new WagonR (2012 model) with Hella Premium Universal Wiper Blades today. Spent the entire afternoon on my first DIY .
Though I did test them after installing and they appear to be working fine on all speeds, but still I have a doubt here : I did not exactly install them in the way shown. I just slid the blade in the hook through the large cavity on the blade and slid the blade upwards till I heard a locking (click or tick, whatever you may call it) sound. Did I install them correctly or is there is a chance that they may just fly out one rainy day?
I would really want to be sure that I did the job correctly or else I could be in big trouble if it flies off one rainy day and a bigger trouble if it lands on somebody else's windshield and biggest trouble if it hits some pedestrian/cyclist/motorcyclist. So, .
Old 25th November 2015, 02:40   #13
BHPian

johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 14:12   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the video but I always wonder all these household products people use there, do we get them here, in this case the denatured alcohol and if we do, what is it called here if I wish to buy it at the hardware store? Any idea?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd December 2015 at 14:15. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelnelly View Post
Thanks for the video but I always wonder all these household products people use there, do we get them here, in this case the denatured alcohol and if we do, what is it called here if I wish to buy it at the hardware store? Any idea?
Sorry, I have limited idea with all the chemicals.
I usually resort to plead my next arriving relative to pick up those from US.

Most Viewed