Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 10:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen rolls out performance update for Virtus Air-conditioning system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post
I own a Taigun 1.0 TSI MT - have driven 39k km in 13 months and have never found the AC to be inadequate.
I guess its due to manual variant, we too own a Kushaq 1L MT driven approx 11k KMs and have no issues with the cooling, car is mainly driven in Lucknow/Delhi/Gurgaon which have extremely hot conditions.

The Virtus GT is driven in Pune where weather is generally good so have never experienced poor cooling in that as well.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 13:09   #17
BHPian

VW is really making it difficult not to pull the trigger on the Virtus GT.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 13:18   #18
Sen
BHPian

I wonder what they're tweaking, maybe it could (I know it's wishful thinking) apply to older ventos and rapids? One of the few chinks in Taco's armor is the AC being slightly sub-par. Let's see!
Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Even my Vento AC has always been on the weaker side, even we experienced the same while test driving the Tiguan also, guess it was some trait in VW family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
I wonder what they're tweaking, maybe it could (I know it's wishful thinking) apply to older ventos and rapids? One of the few chinks in Taco's armor is the AC being slightly sub-par. Let's see!
My 2019 Vento's AC isn't satisfactory as well. Pls let me know if you get this update done. Alternatively, pls PM if you have got any solutions for this.

Last edited by 2TR-FE : 17th March 2023 at 10:36.
Old 17th March 2023, 10:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

They should have employed tech savvy's like our own dbhpian audioholic who fixed it by himself on his Slavia If they'd done this quickly, a lot of customers would've been a bit more happier by now and the company's goodwill would've increased to a large extent!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 12:07   #21
BHPian

Cant say how accurate this explanation is, but makes a little sense. Though, having experienced both the turbos of Hyundai and Volkswagen, explanation seems a bit flawed.

True that the algorithm might fix the compressor issue, but efficiency of the compressor, its placement and its size also makes a big difference in AC performance.

Most of his explanations are a hit or miss. But, its a cool podcast series from a VW 'Bhakt' & Marketing Guy'. Makes me a feel a bit safer, being a VW owner with numerous issues and scaringly laugh it out in the end.

Video Credits to Sunderdeep Singh

MartinVirage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 12:53   #22
VEA
BHPian

My Kushaq 1.5’s AC is pathetic. Last week I got the car to the service Center just to check the AC. Nothing improved, they just claimed to have cleaned the filter. Now I am driving around at the LO setting all the time, yet not cold enough when the outside temperature is above 33 degrees. I don’t remember I have ever used the lowest setting in any car in my life. I went ahead and applied 3M sun film, which has reduced the skin burning feeling, but not yet satisfactorily cold. The dash reflects a lot of light and heat into the car, and the sunroof also radiates tremendous amount of heat into the cabin. The car is definitely not a nice place to be in the summer heat.
VEA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:58   #23
BHPian

"offering it free of cost" - Big Bs words to Basanti at the end of the horse ride from Sholay - bahot meherbani aapka - rings loud in my ears. They should do a bloody recall and fix it on all the VW 2.0 cars! The Taigun 1.0L MT test drive vehicle cooling was pathetic, Slavia seemed like a fan was on. Only the Octavia and Superb seem not to be affected by this issue in their lineup.
100Kmphormore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 17:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Only the Octavia and Superb seem not to be affected by this issue in their lineup.
Even these aren't good in terms of cooling compared to the Japanese (Accord and Camry's) of the segment. However, they are much better than the VW 2.0 twins.

I guess the AC was never a '+' point for VW group cars, but it's become a major downgrade since 2.0 Indianised cars hit our market.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 19:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Even these aren't good in terms of cooling compared to the Japanese (Accord and Camry's) of the segment. However, they are much better than the VW 2.0 twins.

I guess the AC was never a '+' point for VW group cars, but it's become a major downgrade since 2.0 Indianised cars hit our market.
Owned a Laura, an Audi and never felt the AC was inadequate or a '-' point for the cars. They were chillers. Drove the cars in all places including Bangalore, Pune and for a long time - in Gujarat (temps > 47). Yes, the newer cars are not as good as the oldies but my two VW2.0s have not showed any weakness till now. Kushaq driven in Gujarat/Lucknow (pretty hot) and Virtus in Pune.

Got the Kushaq serviced today and there was a software patch available for the AC - it fixes the 'compressor cut' issue. Was cloudy all day here so couldn't test if the AC was performing better.

Cheers!
acquillew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 20:04   #26
BHPian

For this very reason I didn’t buy Virtus 1.5 GT. Inadequate AC was problem with honda city and didn’t want to risk the same again with Virtus.

My observations who don’t have issue with AC.

1. People who go to work early morning never feel ac is bad.

2. People who travel alone or sit in front 2 seats also don’t complain much about ac.

3. People with Covered parking also don’t have much issues.

4. Don’t drive in bumper to bumper traffic

5. Live in relative humid climate

My friend came under the same above category. But one fine day he went for cremation in peak summers and he suddenly he realised AC is ineffective. Car was parked under the Sun and there were 5 people on the car.
All people started complaining something wrong with AC.

So when people say their AC is good also need to tell their usage.

Real AC performance can be judged when a car is parked under sun and with full 5 people on board , especially ladies with makeup and driving during summers.

My Altis AC is chilling without even Rear AC vents

Last edited by samitjain : 17th March 2023 at 20:14.
samitjain is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 20:25   #27
BHPian

I drive a Vento in Delhi summer, for many summers so far. I find the AC cooling adequate. I always keep fan speed at lowest, temperature set at 18 C in summer and 24 C in winter.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 21:15   #28
BHPian

I have driven 1.2 NA Fabia, 1.2 tdi Polo, 1.0 tsi Rapid: often with 4 occupants and luggage. Never felt ac was inadequate.
dsr001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 22:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
AC is pretty bad. It couldn't perform well in the 35 degree Celsius of Pune heat, let alone 50. This is about 1.0 engine. The 1.5's AC is better, but still nothing compared to my ecosport 1.5 tdci AC.
Ford was always known for good AC setup. My Aspire TDCi (6years old now) is still cooling perfectly in Chennai summers (which extends for about 9 months a year ).
Even Jettas which were from much higher segments were not as AC efficient as Ford's entry level cars. So comparing VW with Ford is not an Apple to Apple comparison in ACs.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Only the Octavia and Superb seem not to be affected by this issue in their lineup.
My Octavia's AC is barely adequate. Both my Honda City and my Dad's Ritz are way better at cooling.

I don't dare to take the Octavia for an extended drive when the temperature is 45 degrees Celsius or more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks