Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2023, 14:56   #16
BHPian

Re: New Jeep Compass 4x4 driveshaft issue | Dealer and Jeep don't care!

My thoughts on this matter.
If something is not done in 3 months, there is no guarantee that this problem is going to be solved in the near future. If at all, new problems will crop up. A idly parked vehicle attracts dust, insects, rats and snakes. By now, the clank is the least of your problems. My advice would be to take vehicle out of the ASS immediately and give it to a very reputed FNG to solve the issue. It usually is the easier way out if the owner's ego is not the issue. I say ego because JEEP doesn't seem to care one way or another and the owner is the sufferer here. JEEP is a very competent vehicle as can be seen by members sharing their experiences and just because their ASS and warranty sucks, doesn't mean that you cannot have a good ownership experience. There is no greater horror story than a new and competent SUV lying idle and gathering dust when it should be munching miles.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 17:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
While we love bashing our own home-grown players - Tata and Mahindra - for "niggles" in their new launches, I wonder what we have to say about this so called "premium" brand that is only busy making fluffy videos with celebrities, endorsing their products. Neither the company nor the dealers give a damn to quality control or customer satisfaction. For someone who is already paying much more than the vehicle's worth, Jeep buyers in India seem to be a deprived lot, what with innumerable issues with brand new vehicles as well as cold shoulder attitude of its dealers.

I would suggest the buyer in this case to log a complain with consumer court. Such insensitive behaviour should not be tolerated.
My 13 year old Fortuner recently got it's propeller shaft bearings replaced(called spider kit/universal joint) in Toyota jargon. Odo is close to 1.1 lakh kms. That's Toyota for you
KK2001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 17:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Can he not approach another Jeep dealership to look at the issue? Going to an FNG to fix the issue will void the warranty since the car is new.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 19:07   #19
BHPian

Another week and another Jeep Compass niggle/issue thread. People really need to stop rewarding Jeep with sales for this level of abhorrent aftersales and customer support.

How many owners have struggled with this supposedly premium brand now and will have to continue to suffer before they fix their quality control at the factory level!?

I personally love the Jeep's interiors and driving dynamics but not at the cost of such nightmares. Also, why are so many issues being reported on the facelifted Compass? My cousin owns a pre facelifted 4x2 MT longitude and his car has been absolutely perfect with zero issues so far.

I can recall facelift compass having rattles from dashboard and doors from day 1 ( no, blasting music to ignore the rattles is not the solution ), wiring issues and now transmission issues. I am sure I am missing some but it's just absurd how many issues a car as expensive as Compass has.

/End of rant.
Doonite is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 20:14   #20
BHPian

VTK service in Chennai has always been absolutely hopeless in terms of diagnosis skills. Consider getting this checked at another service center, even if it is out of the city.
Also, send an email to Mangesh Kodalkar (Head of CRM). He is usually responsive to customer complaints.
prkiran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 20:56   #21
BHPian

Thanks everyone for replies and suggestions. Thing with Jeep and ownership seems like when there is no issue with a Jeep vehicle, things are smooth. If there is a major issue with the vehicle under warranty, then Jeep just sits and does nothing and tries it’s best to wiggle out of the situation. Not what any customer wants from a brand, premium or not! You need a grand to support you when there is an issue.

Ilango has been keep a close watch on this thread and will soon approach a lawyer.

In the meantime, he does have an unanswered question to Jeep owners, especially those with the same model - since Jeep says this is a common issue, have any of you experienced this?
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 00:13   #22
BHPian

Another day and another horror story from Jeep's after sales service on its supposedly premium offering.

I own a 2019 trailhawk and I never seen such an issue. I'm part of Bangalore Jeep Club and I don't remember someone complaining about such an issue. So, this is not common.

Is he part of the local Jeep club. The admins are generally very helpful and may help him escalate this through them. And tweet about this and post it on Facebook by tagging Jeep and also DM a link to this thread to their official Twitter and Facebook handles. What I noticed and got to know from fellow BHPians is that these DMs can get you some attention.
neelkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 08:57   #23
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the situation.

Please read through this thread (Jeep Compass 4x4 | Differential replaced & driveshaft complaint) to understand how Jeep Compass 4x4 works and also about what could have gone wrong.

I own Jeep Compass S 4x4 2021 model and is part of Bangalore Jeep Club, like @neelkumar. As he mentioned, we've not heard of such an issue so far in a community which has about 1000 members.

I do not know from this thread what communications have happened so far between the parties. Without that being on the table, it is difficult to recommend next steps. From the face of it, it is clear that both parties have completely different point of view about the issue.

A good next step could be to sit across the table and discuss the current state and next steps, keeping emotions away.
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 10:31   #24

IMHO It's 90 percent the transfer case. this has reached an epidemic proportion in the new age 4X4 SUVs unfortunately. everyone from Mercedes to BMW to Porsche do run into this frequently.in case the JEEP guys wash there hands of the issue ask your friend to change the transfer case oil. there is a slim chance that will solve the issue for a year or so.
Old 19th March 2023, 11:22   #25
BHPian

Sorry state of affairs at Jeep.

Didn't consider this or the Meridian while planning the car purchase.

Aftersales experience can be questionable with any brand in India, that alone is not specific to Jeep.

However, cars getting issues right after delivery and requiring flatbeds/time spent at workshops points to questionable QC during the manufacturing process which is scary.

For that matter VAG cars too have DSG issues (DQ200), however atleast in Pune, well documented processes exist at the sole dealership to provide warranty replacements without causing a headache to the customer.

Peace of mind is a must when spending one's hard earned money on a product thats priced at a substantial premium. This is an area for Jeep to improve as a brand.

Last edited by GoBlue : 19th March 2023 at 11:24.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 14:10   #26
BHPian

Sad to hear this frustrating ordeal. Having owned a Fiat in the past and extensively test-driven the Compass, this behaviour from their team doesn't surprise me one bit.

A lot of their lacklustre attitude seems to be a hangover from Fiat. Ramkay was a decent dealer in Chennai. Unfortunately, they shut shop now and I guess everyone is left at the mercy of this sole VTK dealership. The single good experience I had was with Tafe Coimbatore, when they replaced my fuel injector on a national holiday.

Sub-par experiences might still be palatable at a lower price point where Fiat was sitting at, but certainly not at the price bracket where Jeep is currently playing at. I feel Jeep pushed their 'premium brand' perception though superficial updates (features, touch-n-feel), as opposed to real updates like engine, transmission and sales/service which play a more important part in the ownership experience.

I was seriously evaluating the Compass last month, but neither the product not the sales experience gave me the confidence that this is worth so much.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 01:44   #27
BHPian

I would not keep the compass with them and look for another Jeep Service center with capable mechanics. Even if it is far away!

I have seen an older Compass 2018 or 19 having a similar issue and they just replaced the driveshaft under warranty. They did keep it for a few weeks to try and sort the issue.
Old 21st March 2023, 13:56   #28
BHPian

It looks like a clanky universal joint. I'd suggest get it sorted out asap and not to drive around like this for a long time. If the UJ cross gives away while driving at high speeds, the results can be catastrophic.
Old 21st March 2023, 22:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
When he contacts the dealership, they usually say they will call back, or that it is a minor common issue and ask him to take the car back.
A couple of suggestions to help Ilango out:

1. Did the dealership open a job card, and provide Ilango with an acknowledgement of the reported issue? If not, please make sure Ilango gets an acknowledgement in the form of an opened job card, as it is important to establish that the issue was reported and registered in Jeep's DMS (Dealer Management System). Irrespective of whether any action is taken to rectify the issue, there should be no reason why a job card cannot be opened.

2. Ilango must insist on going on a test drive with a technician or a service advisor in a 4 x 4 Compass, when one comes in for service at the dealership. This should not be difficult at all, given how long Ilango has already patiently waited for a resolution. After one or two test drives, the service center will not be able to continue to brush the issue aside as 'normal'.

3. On LinkedIn, find Jeep's PR / Marketing / CRM seniors, and send them a private message mentioning your ordeal. A LinkedIn premium account costs just 1 or 2k, and will allow sending private messages even to people who're not connected to you. They may respond.

4. If Jeep's customer care and seniors do not respond with any concrete action, feel free to tag their social media handles with the job card. Unfortunately, in many organizations, this is the step that wakes the seniors up. Offer to delete the post if your issue is resolved, but only after it is resolved.

Please keep us posted. All the best!

Last edited by sandeep.menon : 21st March 2023 at 22:05. Reason: Corrected a typo error.
sandeep.menon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 08:26   #30
BHPian

Any update?

Also, please share the supporting documents and communications with the dealer and the progress or lack of the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks