Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 20:38   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Kash,

I am sure that the box you have circled must be there in the car, which is assembled by Hyundai; for a major reason. I don't believe you should have removed such a vital part (which I am sure it is) from the car just for an increase in pick-up. You could have looked at adding components to your car to increase performance rather than remove original parts for the same. I would suggest you check what that part is and the effects of its absence.

@Gulgul - I second the suggestions by other on this thread to clean or change your air filter and also get your injectors cleaned which could be blocked due to dirt particles from bad quality fuel.
Hi Epic,
The part I have removed is the resonator box. This is used to reduce the intake noise. Please note that when u add a Cold Air Intake, you will have to throw away the entire plumbing in the picture along with the filter box. Now, if this had been so important, then many of the cars would not be running, isn't it?
Old 14th October 2009, 23:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Hi Epic,
The part I have removed is the resonator box. This is used to reduce the intake noise. Please note that when u add a Cold Air Intake, you will have to throw away the entire plumbing in the picture along with the filter box. Now, if this had been so important, then many of the cars would not be running, isn't it?
Hi Kash,

A point very well put I must say. But then as you have mentioned; IF you ADD a Cold Air Intake, the entire plumbing is thrown away. Which means, one obviously has to ADD something there in place of the plumbing & not just leave it empty

Well, it may not seem important now to do away with this part as the car is still running, but I am sure in the long run you might find out the hard way. Anyway, just my two cents on this. You could probably be right after all.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:10   #48
BHPian

resonator box

I googled for "resonator box" and found another mention from the below site which seems to support what Kash has said:

Step Into My World

Reproduced text about resonator from this site:

"Air Filter Box - You can increase the efficiency of your original air filter box by enlarging the size of the air intake to the air filter box. Many models of cars use a resonator box (see ‘R’ section) before the air filter box and a convoluted amount of piping before feeding air to the air filter box. This introduces ‘negative’ air pressure and reduces the amount of air flowing to the engine. An analogy would be a person drinking with a straw and when you pinch one side of the straw, you need to suck harder to draw more fluids. By removing the resonator box as well as the convoluted piping before the original air filter box and replacing it with a direct cool air feed will give you better performance. Making an additional air intake to your original air box will further improve its efficiency, as two intakes are better than one. "

"Resonator Box - A hollow plastic box sometimes placed along the standard intake and before the air filter box. This helps to reduce the sound of the air rushing into the engine. However, they create a turbulence within the intake system and at times disrupt the air flow. Removing them will help ‘smoothen’ the air flow but will increase the induction sound slightly."

However, I am not sure whether the air we get at the point where resonator box is connected is really cooler.

Now I feel more like trying out this modification, but I am a bit hesitant as it involves removing battery and refitting them back. I havent done these things at all in the past.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
However, I am not sure whether the air we get at the point where resonator box is connected is really cooler.
It is cooler. This position is under the battery. It is between the LH plastic wheel well and the front left side member assembly. See red circle in image. The Engine area is covered on the sides so this position will take air from the fog lamp area and from bottom, which is much cooler than the engine bay.

Quote:
Now I feel more like trying out this modification, but I am a bit hesitant as it involves removing battery and refitting them back. I havent done these things at all in the past.
I had to remove the front fender to access the nuts holding this resonator box. May be u can do it without removing the fender by parking the car in a incline. I spent an entire afternoon to do this. But it was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Getz power issues...pls help-getzresonatorlocation.jpg  

Old 20th October 2009, 22:50   #50
BHPian

I have to get the car serviced this week (second free service is due before end of the month). After that I will probably try this. I am thinking of going to a mechanic whom I know to get this done.

I also saw that you have a K&N air filter. With this change I shouldnt really need a K&N filter, right?
Old 21st October 2009, 19:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I also saw that you have a K&N air filter. With this change I shouldnt really need a K&N filter, right?
You are right. Regular, clean OEM paper filter is enough. It is difficult to clean these paper filters.. the dirt just sticks to this. So replace paper filter if it looks is too dirty.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:48   #52
BHPian

Kash, once the box is removed, can it be refitted easily? Just in case I do the change and don't find it helpful.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:50   #53
BHPian

Yup it can be fixed back quite easily.

I am sure you wouldn't like to put it back

Will update the removal procedure in the evening.
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman07 View Post
Yup it can be fixed back quite easily.

I am sure you wouldn't like to put it back

Will update the removal procedure in the evening.
Awaiting the removal procedure.

It is a pain to drive the car in Mumbai city. At low RPMs, I always fear that the car will halt if I dont accelerate enough.

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:57   #55
BHPian

Removal Procedure

Here is the process to remove the air resonator box in Getz-

1. Loosen all the nuts of left side front wheel.

2. Put the jack and remove the wheel.

3. Using a philips screw driver (+) remove the seven screws shown in below pic. There will be two screws belows the front bumper also which need to
be removed.

Getz power issues...pls help-image000.jpg

Getz power issues...pls help-image001.jpg

4. This will make the plastic inside the wheel well loose.

5. Pull the plastic aside and inside you will see a box like this -

Getz power issues...pls help-image004.jpg

6. Using the 10 number spanner remove the two bolts on the either side of the box.

Getz power issues...pls help-image007.jpg

7. The moment you will remove the bolts the box will come out.

8. Put the wheel well plastic cover back and tighten the screws.

9. In order to make ECU read the new settings reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 15 mins. ( Disconnect it before starting the removal procedure and put it back once done with removal of air resonator.)

10. Go for a quick spin to make ECU learn about new settings.

Changes felt after removal of box and driving for 10 days -

1. Low end pick up slightly increases and car feels lighter due to better breathing.

2. The noise does increases a little bit but is not irritating.

Last edited by naman07 : 3rd December 2009 at 17:16.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:13   #56
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed procedure naman. I removed this box from top after removing the battery. Your method is the easiest way.
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:20   #57
BHPian

I did try to remove it from top first as you did it Kash but gave in after trying for about an hour. Then I hit upon this idea of removing. It was quite easy and quick way of removal
Old 6th December 2009, 12:07   #58
BHPian

I had been to Shreenath Hyundai for servicing the car. The car was juddering a lot in 1st and 2nd gear. Also the FE had dropped.
I have often had this problem with my Getz (2.5yrs old, 18K Kms). Sometimes the juddering is more and sometimes less. Is this due to low torque?
Shreenath Hyundai indicated me a weakened clutch. I was annoyed, how could it be so early! The technician suggested me Bleeding. The next day he called me and said the juddering has become Very Less after doing the bleeding (what is called exactly?).
So is this juddering a design fault with the Getz? Are other Getz owners facing the same or is it an issue with my car?
Old 6th December 2009, 15:46   #59
BHPian

@naman07: Thanks a lot for the detailed steps. It looked easy enough for me to try it myself on my Getz Prime.

I followed the steps, and found that apart from the 7 screws, there was one more (rivet kind of thing) that was holding the plastic fender and I couldnt remove it with screwdriver. I was able to pull aside the plastic slightly and saw a box, between the front bumper and the plastic fender. I want to confirm whether this box is the resonator box. It looks like one bolt is not easily accessible as it is between the bumper and the box. The other bolt can be seen once the plastic fender is removed.

Getz power issues...pls help-resonatorbox11.jpg

thanks!
Old 7th December 2009, 12:20   #60
BHPian

Hi Mohan,

Yups thats the box.

Yes one screw is on the inside part. You need to open the whole plastic thing to access it.

Naman

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks