Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 08:26   #61
BHPian

I removed the box from my car. There is good improvement in the car response. One thing that still annoys me is the engine clutter/judder when launching the car. That is not completely gone. Is it there in all getz or could it be an issue with my car?
Old 13th December 2009, 15:51   #62
BHPian

@observer: I havent yet removed the box. I havent seen any judder with my Getz (its 8 months old now), though with AC on and fully loaded, I have to sometimes slip the clutch to get it moving from standstill. Without AC, it starts moving with slight release of clutch.
Old 13th December 2009, 16:01   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
@observer: I havent yet removed the box. I havent seen any judder with my Getz (its 8 months old now), though with AC on and fully loaded, I have to sometimes slip the clutch to get it moving from standstill. Without AC, it starts moving with slight release of clutch.
@Mohan41, you are correct, I have to race the car when moving it from standstill and AC is on. If I dont race it, the car clatters. Why does it happen, any idea? Every service I have pointed out the issue, but never got it resovled or answered.

Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 21:43   #64
BHPian

I pointed out this during the second service. After that there is a slight improvement, but not very good. I have read in this and other threads about the poor low RPM torque of the Getz. I guess nothing much can be done. Hasnt this improved even slightly after removing the resonator box?
Old 15th December 2009, 15:44   #65
BHPian

After removing the resonator box, the torque is better. Earlier I had to deliberately release the clutch slowly and accelerate enough when moving the car from standstill. Now that has become easier. That's what I feel.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I have to get the car serviced this week (second free service is due before end of the month). After that I will probably try this. I am thinking of going to a mechanic whom I know to get this done.

I also saw that you have a K&N air filter. With this change I shouldnt really need a K&N filter, right?
do keep in mind the fact that doing away with the resonator box may void your warranty
Old 16th December 2009, 20:36   #67
BHPian

Torque curve for Getz 1.3

I found a site which contains the measured torque curve of many cars. Getz 1.3 is here Powertrain Performance Graph for Hyundai Getz 1.3 GLS -02 (60 kW)

It shows the torque curve starting at 1500rpm, but if one extrapolates the graph to lower RPMs it gives an idea of the torque near idle RPM (which is around 700-800RPM at normal engine temperature). I am not an expert to make any conclusions from the data, hope to hear others' thoughts on this.

If the idle RPM is increased that should help in moving the car off standstill? After morning cold start the RPM is high (>1200RPM) and the car moves easily from standstill. Is it possible to easily increase the idle RPM? It may reduce the FE slightly, but not much as we otherwise have to race the engine in slow moving traffic, right?

Edit: Gear ratio is another factor in getting enough torque, but that is hard to modify

Last edited by mohan41 : 16th December 2009 at 20:41.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to easily increase the idle RPM? It may reduce the FE slightly, but not much as we otherwise have to race the engine in slow moving traffic, right?
You have a valid point. I have a triphase module in my getz that does exactly what you have explained. It just acts like a resistor between the Intake Air Temperature sensor and the ECM. The ECM believes that the Intake temperature is low and so dumps more fuel, there by increasing the rpm.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, just updating an old thread here since I am so elited with the intructions provided here.
Thanks to K.A.S.H and naman07 for their brilliant strategy to improve the low end Torque on Getz. Spoke to K.A.S.H last week and removed the Resonator from my ride.

Believe me Guys, my ride just feels so much lighter now. Its not some earth shattering performance that you would get, but the 2nd and 3rd gears feels so Torquey which earlier felt a little hesitant.

Thank you guys, really appreciate it.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:42   #70
BHPian

Glad that my explanation helped one more getz user.

Ride does feel lighter after removing this box. But now I have got so much used to it that I want something more.

Guess its time to go for FFE
Old 5th August 2010, 16:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

You and K.A.S.H were spot on Naman and I really appreciate your knowledge.

In fact, I decided to remove the spare wheel (OEM Rim) from the boot along with the Resonator and my Getzy suddenly felt like she just had a shot of RED BULL from the SHELL STATION !

Naman, since you are the Veteran here with the Getz, do you think that a Conical K&N Performance filter would do justice to my ride now ?
I was addicted to the Purr from my previous Car, Xing with a 1.1l engine and just can't wait to hear the Growl from this baby.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:02   #72
BHPian

Hey Vik, thanks for praises but i ain't any veteran. I am more of a casual contributor

Regarding your query for K&N conical filter, going for it at this moment will only give you noise and no performance gain. If you are thinking of going in for FFE then it would make some sense to go for conical filter.

I am thinking of going in for FFE but not with conical filter. Instead I will be going with stock replacement filter as I don't want to increase the sound.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:17   #73
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulgulumaal View Post

The car is just back after 2nd service. I believe cleaning the air filter would have been taken care of during the service. Anyways I'll get the air filter checked.

dadu, the car has run less than 5k only.
3.5+ Years/ 5K km & only 2 services ?. I'm not an expert, but could that be the culprit for something not working as expected?
Old 20th May 2011, 11:32   #74
BHPian

Re: Getz power issues...pls help

Hi all,

I have a Getz Prime GLS that I bought in May 2009. I took delivery of the car that was used as the showpiece itself. The dealer at the showroom told me that there was no other car in that color - till the next batch arrived.

So anyway today, this car has clocked around 18000kms. I have gone through the posts here and though they do make sense, there's one point that I would wanna add. Not sure if other users have felt this before.

1. When you launch the car, for lack of better explanation, the car seems to be in a state of limpiness (the exact period is around 6 secs) where there's no acceleration, no retardation, but continues in the same momentum), after those initial 6 secs, then the car 'suddenly' seems to wake up and move forward. This always happens on 1st gear and 2nd (if the RPM is quite low)

2. A similar issue happens when you're in 3rd going to to 4th...it's like as if there's some invisible force pulling the car down, till it clears the 50kmph mark, and then the car is light and fast. I sense these problems every day in traffic here in Chennai.

P.S - > It's been a while since I've serviced the car..that could also be a potential issue. But, I would like inputs from experts and other Getz users. Everytime I go to the HASS, they say everything's fine - so much so that I don;t even know if they service the car well...
Old 20th May 2011, 12:55   #75
BHPian

Re: Getz power issues...pls help

@trumpet, I have GLX 1.3 which I bought in April 2009. I assume you have GLS 1.3 and not 1.1.

In my car, the "limpiness" or sluggish behavior is seen in 2nd gear only, if the RPM is below about 1300 (with AC turned on) and below 1000 (without AC). In the first gear, after starting from standstill I dont find this issue, neither I find it when shifting from 3rd to 4th if I shift at proper RPM (> 2500 rpm). The 2nd gear sluggishness is shorter if AC is not on. I remember that after the 2nd service there was noticeble improvement in pickup of the car.

Last edited by mohan41 : 20th May 2011 at 12:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks