Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2007, 16:35   #1

Getz power issues...pls help

I have a hyundai Getz which I bought in late Dec 2006. It's a good and spacious car but I'm finding it severely underpowered for everyday driving. Recently I drove around with 6 people in the car and with AC on and the car was really struggling to get moving. I end up using the AC on/off button so frequently that it's almost becoming a part of my driving style

I drove a Swift and a Santro Xing. Even Santro seems to be having better low end response compared to my Getz even though the Santro has a 1.1 L engine.

I'm not too concerned with mileage..I'm getting around 11.5 to 12 Km in the city.

I told the service center guys, but they are saying that Getz low end torque is less and that is how it is designed. I have heard so many good reviews about Getz, but I'm so disappointed with my car that I'm even thinking of selling it and getting a second hand Swift.

Can any of the Getz owners help me out here. Is everyone finding the car underpowered or could it be something wrong with my car ? Can some kind of tuning be done so that low end torque could be improved.
Old 15th July 2007, 18:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest that you get your air filters cleaned and then try it again.
Old 15th July 2007, 18:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mod note: Thread moved. Please post in appropriate sections only.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Owners have reported that the Getz is under-powered, but don't think the issue was this severe.

Like amtak suggested, clean the air filters. Also, make sure of the quality of fuel that you use. Since you are from trivandrum, which is the petrol bunk that you usually visit to?
Old 15th July 2007, 20:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

how much has thr car run ??, if above 40k kms, use STP Engine flush, its bound to make the difference.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

mate, with 6 people a 1.3l engine is gonna feel a bit underpowered.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
mate, with 6 people a 1.3l engine is gonna feel a bit underpowered.
He has mentioned its underpowered even otherwise, compared to Swift/Santro!
Old 15th July 2007, 20:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
He has mentioned its underpowered even otherwise, compared to Swift/Santro!
was just pointing out that with 6 people thats what he can expect. but im not sure why hes getting it otherwise.

infact the low end torque is supposed to be better than the swift.
Old 15th July 2007, 21:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just today afternun i took a TD of the GVS 1.1L Getz i found it very comfortable to drive lots of space and in no time i was till 90km in 4th gear,we were 3 of us,lil heavy weight,i have opted in going ahead and getting one for me by next month.Seriously i liked it better than swift and U-VA.
Old 15th July 2007, 22:05   #10
BHPian

I do feel with SIX people and AC on, even palio 1.6, being the most powerfull in the segment would feel under powered. Getz has a good mid range and I guess there is nothing wrong with the car. Santro has a good initial but mid and top range cannot be even compared with Getz. Swift is either ways, more powerfull than Getz. Thats just my opinion, I guess there is nothing to worry about.
Old 15th July 2007, 23:26   #11

Wow..thanks everyone for the quick responses !!

CrAzY dRiVeR, last time I re-fuelled from the govt owned pump (I guess IndianOil) on the way from Ulloor to Medical College..the one on the right side. Plus, I dont think it's a fuel quality issue because I've noticed this problem right from the beginning (from when I bought the car). I refill mainly from the above said pump, or otherwise from a pump near Kazhakuttam junction (the 1st pump on the right side when you go towards Kollam).

The car is just back after 2nd service. I believe cleaning the air filter would have been taken care of during the service. Anyways I'll get the air filter checked.

dadu, the car has run less than 5k only.

akshay1234, I understand that with 6 people and AC on,just about any car would feel underpowered.
Even with say 2 people in my car, switching off the AC makes a MAJOR difference in power.

Ok, I'm not sure how to put this across, but it's like this. If I keep the engine idling, shift to 1st gear and release the clutch, the engine seems to have very little power to pull and tends to stall very easily. I always have to race the engine. Also while driving, the engine note has a tinge of a knocking kind of sound when I accelerate.

I thought maybe I'm being paranoid, but one of my friends test drove my car and told me the exact same observations so I know I'm not imagining things here.

I would like to get it checked up by some good reliable mechanic. I tried the service center at popular, but they always say that they didn't find much of a problem.

Any pointers to reliable mechanics in Trivandrum, who can maybe check this up?
Old 16th July 2007, 00:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

If your car knocking might be the engine oil problem?in your service it might have not changed or poured above the old oil,2nd is the filters might have been choked up,or some hi-tension cable/spark-plug might be acting up funny.
Old 16th July 2007, 07:55   #13
BHPian

i too had the same problems. but it got solved after the first service. now i have enough power even with the ac on. but i have never tried this with 6 people. also the quality of fuel matters a lot. i always get my fuel from yeshwanthpur shell.
Old 16th July 2007, 10:28   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulgulumaal View Post

I drove a Swift and a Santro Xing. Even Santro seems to be having better low end response compared to my Getz even though the Santro has a 1.1 L engine.

Can any of the Getz owners help me out here. Is everyone finding the car underpowered or could it be something wrong with my car ? Can some kind of tuning be done so that low end torque could be improved.
Hi,

I dont qualify as a Getz owner anymore as I sold mine about 10 months ago, but I had owned one for about a year drove it for approx 12k kms and would disagree with the statement that it is underpowered compared to the swift.

A swifts engine is more torquey comparitively at low revs but the Getz is in its own past 3000 Rpm. You cannot compare a Santro since it is a much smaller & lighter car and the engine is designed keeping city driving and FE in mind hence it is very torquey. There is lots that can be done to a Getz to improve the performance of a Getz so dont worry there is no need to sell the car.

You can check out my gallery below to view the car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-166.html

Viper
Old 16th July 2007, 14:16   #15
BHPian

I've owned a getz for the past one year now and have used it regularly to drive around the city and 2 long drives on from Indore to Kannur and another to Goa. Not once had it felt underpowered to me even with the a/c on all the time. Maybe u should ask the service center guys to check ur ECU. I'm not an expert on this but maybe it' a foul up in the ECU which results in improper quantity of fuel being supplied for combustion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks