Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:03   #1
BANNED

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?

Greetings dear BHPians.
I have a 2007 Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI, this is our first car, it has only run 30,000 KM, it has finished 15 years in Bangalore and has been re-registered for the next 5 years.
The car has no major issues, the engine is in excellent condition, there are no rust issues as such. It has been driven only by my Dad and I will start driving this year.

The car has one major issue, the clutch is very hard. It has become increasingly difficult to drive it in Bangalore Traffic, my dad is in his late fifties and sometimes complains about leg pain. I am suffering from a herniated disc and have been banned from driving a manual transmission.

There are 2 possibilities to this problem.

1. Installation of auto clutch. Here are some of my concerns:-
-Is it viable to spend 60K on a 15 year old car?
-Will the 15 year rule be enforced in Bangalore, just like Delhi NCR?
-Will this auto clutch be reliable?

2. Buy a New car, budget: 10-11 lakhs on road max.

I want some advice regarding this issue, do give me your inputs Dear Bhpians.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?

My 1st cousin had the SX4 and he had installed the auto-clutch in it. He was extremely happy with the outcome and it was reliable too. Never gave him any trouble. He has since switched from his SX4 to XL6 auto and Ignis AMT.

However - for such an old car - personally I'd never spend so much on an auto-clutch installation. Its definitely better to sell the car in good shape, and get a replacement. I'd say keep the budget slightly stretchable as in our market the available options increase significantly per additional lakh you can spend. Anyway you seem to keep your cars for a long time, which will mean a little long-term extra spend per year on buying a better car.

In fact - currently there is a large list of pre-owned automatics available in the market. Platforms like Spinny can be worth a look. My experience there has been good too, quite a few times. This will bring better cars at lower budget to you, thereby reducing the feeling of losing a larger car to get a small one now.

15 year rule possibility aside - anyway the SX4 is a fairly old car now. My gut says, you'll spend a lot for the auto clutch, and still feel like getting a new car after 6 months. Thats a lot of money at risk then.
Reinhard is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Given the number of Kms on that SX4, I think the use case can be managed with an AMT equipped Maruti like a Baleno. Its a pretty nice set up, spacious and refined vehicle for the price.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

In my experience Maruti petrols always came with a light and easy to operate clutch; was your car's clutch always hard? Have you spoken to MASC about this? I would advise to go for a new car if you really need an automatic but considering you have only done 30k kms in 15 years, perhaps you can make do with an auto clutch (no personal experience with those so cannot say much). Do let me know if you are selling the car though I would be happy to buy a bhpian owned low mileage SX4 ZXi
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Greetings dear BHPians.
I have a 2007 Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI, this is our first car, it has only run 30,000 KM, it has finished 15 years in Bangalore and has been re-registered for the next 5 years.
15 years on stock clutch. It is likely that the pressure plate has lost its springiness and the release bearing may have worn out.

The clutch plate as such is good since you have not mentioned any slippage.

I suggest you replace the whole clutch set comprising of Clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing, slave cylinder. The clutch pedal feel will return back to how it was when car was new. It might cost you around 10k which is far cheaper than the auto clutch and your left leg will thank you.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cove...lutch-6788999/
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-disc_clutch-6789000/
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cyli...ting-53931063/

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 3rd April 2023 at 12:29.
sagarpadaki is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:38   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
My 1st cousin had the SX4 and he had installed the auto-clutch in it. He was extremely happy with the outcome and it was reliable too. Never gave him any trouble. He has since switched from his SX4 to XL6 auto and Ignis AMT.

However - for such an old car - personally I'd never spend so much on an auto-clutch installation.
Thanks for the inputs. From where did he get it installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Given the number of Kms on that SX4, I think the use case can be managed with an AMT equipped Maruti like a Baleno. Its a pretty nice set up, spacious and refined vehicle for the price.
Yes you are right, our running isn't high, AMT can handle it. I was thinking of something like a TATA Punch due to its safety rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
In my experience Maruti petrols always came with a light and easy to operate clutch; was your car's clutch always hard? Have you spoken to MASC about this?
Yes it has been always hard, MASS says that the pressure plate is thick, so it takes effort to press it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
15 years on stock clutch. It is likely that the pressure plate has lost its springiness and the release bearing may have worn out.
I suggest you replace the whole clutch set
I had it changed 4 years ago, its still the same, Mass says that its the character of the car.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. From where did he get it installed?
He got it done from AutoMate Pune (Automate website).
Quote:
Yes you are right, our running isn't high, AMT can handle it. I was thinking of something like a TATA Punch due to its safety rating.
Unless you specifically need the high seating of the tall stance of the Punch, I'd suggest you test drive the Tiago AMT, Altroz DCA and the Ignis AMT. While the Punch is an excellent little car - the powertrain is still same/comparable to the others (and engine is weaker than the Suzuki K12b in refinement). So better to check if the money you pay for it, can be saved / used for something more suitable for your overall needs in the long run.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Repair the car clutch or get a new car. Retro fitment is too risky as you never know how the car will behave in traffic.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

There have been discussions earlier regarding the autoclutch, and my suggestion - avoid. Just get another even if used - either a TC or a CVT transmission.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:55   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I evaluated this in 2019. It works.
But installation involves some drilling and wiring etcwhich I didnt want to do at the time.
But they are nice people and obliging too. The idea is good but the ‘finesse’ of the product could be better.
Attached Thumbnails
Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5007.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5008.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5006.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5005.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-b21dc8263fda4e9d9a2fe0defde7e0a7.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5003.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5002.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 09:07   #11
BHPian

Re: Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

I suggest you replace the whole clutch set comprising of Clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing, slave cylinder. The clutch pedal feel will return back to how it was when car was new. It might cost you around 10k which is far cheaper than the auto clutch and your left leg will thank you.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cove...lutch-6788999/
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-disc_clutch-6789000/
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cyli...ting-53931063/
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Repair the car clutch or get a new car. Retro fitment is too risky as you never know how the car will behave in traffic.
Quote:
Greetings dear BHPians.
I exactly wanted to say the same thing that the problem is with your pressure plate.
Even Auto clutch works at a certain torque if the clutch becomes harder and harder, probably auto clutch will stop working too or its efficiency and lifespan will be reduced. Eventually, you will replace the pressure plate, so why not now? May be then your father feel that I can live with manual transmission.

Now commercial part
30000 KMs in 15 years says that car is not being used regularly. If you can afford, go for a new or used automatic and it would be a good decision because you anyways keep car for long time.
If you decide to keep SX4, you will anyways sell it after 5-6 years.
dicor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 12:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I would recommend against it. You can get the clutch plates changed especially the slave and master cylinder. I got mine changed at 60k kms because clutch was hard. After that the clutch became pretty light. One option is to sell this car and get an automatic SX4. Anyway resale value wasnt good so the amount you were planning to pay for the auto clutch conversion can be used to get an AT SX4 itself.

On the other hand, if you list your SX4 for sale, please keep me posted.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 13:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1. Installation of auto clutch. Here are some of my concerns:-
-Is it viable to spend 60K on a 15 year old car?
-Will the 15 year rule be enforced in Bangalore, just like Delhi NCR?
-Will this auto clutch be reliable?

2. Buy a New car, budget: 10-11 lakhs on road max.

I would say go for option 2. You seem to have low running usage and maintain cars for a long time. If that situation isn't likely to change, option-2 would be the way to go after selling the SX4.

Apart from some of the VFM cars suggested by other members such as the Baleno and Ignis, I recommend one of the CVT vehicles such as the Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiger, or Honda Amaze. CVTs drive smoother than AMTs usually, and on a long-term basis. As always, do take a test drive of all candidate vehicles and decide for yourself.
KryptonMonkey is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:31   #14
BHPian

Cool. My SX4 is also due for RC expirty/re-registration this year. It has done 80k kms and runs prefect and is run very sparingly now (~3k kms a year)I am also inclined to renew RC this year.

May be I can take cues from you on extending RC, will send DM.

I have no idea about autoclutch mentioned here but I would recommend not taking risk with your back in any case. All the best.
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The car has one major issue, the clutch is very hard. It has become increasingly difficult to drive it in Bangalore Traffic, my dad is in his late fifties and sometimes complains about leg pain. I am suffering from a herniated disc and have been banned from driving a manual transmission.
From how I see it, there are two problems
- Clutch is hard which MASS is saying is normal for an Sx4.
- Even if the clutch is light, you are not supposed to be driving a manual transmission vehicle due to your back problem.

The way I see it is that the auto-clutch is a good tool for you. It does look like a college project but reviews say it is very reliable and works very well.
The other advantage I see is that, you can remove it from Sx4 whenever you sell it and put it in any other car that you buy. And since you have an auto clutch, you need not buy an automatic car which costs around 1.5 lacs more and is also heavier and lesser fuel efficient (TC gearboxes). You will be able to buy the latest car with manual transmission and use the auto clutch straight on that.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed