Team-BHP - lancer power steering & speedometer problem
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   lancer power steering & speedometer problem (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/26451-lancer-power-steering-speedometer-problem.html)

hi.i have some mechanical/electronic issues in my lancer. theres a major leak from the power steering.i've been stalling the repairs for a very long time.i've showed it to a well known mechanic in my area and he says he'll have to send the car to the turner.and he'l charge 2.5 grands only to open up ?? and the total would go higher than 5 grands.now i have no idea 'open up' what? could some one with technical knowledge please tell me how much would be the total cost(with the break up).
The car's speedometer hasnt been working for more than 2 years now.the car was submereged under water for 2 days last year when the floods happened.how do i make it work now? how much will be the total cost.thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashishh (Post 502383)
hi.i have some mechanical/electronic issues in my lancer. theres a major leak from the power steering.i've been stalling the repairs for a very long time.i've showed it to a well known mechanic in my area and he says he'll have to send the car to the turner.and he'l charge 2.5 grands only to open up ?? and the total would go higher than 5 grands.now i have no idea 'open up' what? could some one with technical knowledge please tell me how much would be the total cost(with the break up).
The car's speedometer hasnt been working for more than 2 years now.the car was submereged under water for 2 days last year when the floods happened.how do i make it work now? how much will be the total cost.thanks

first get that power steering area clean of oil and all dirt.
check to see the reservoir is full if not top it up, with, start the engine - in idle - if you have some help ask him / her to steer all to left and then to right - do this 5 to 7 times - observe the steering hoses, below reservoir, near the pump and all joints on the steering system for any leak. after this can u make up a diagnosis.

ref speedometer, check whether its a cable system. if cable then most probably it will be the cable end on the transmission housing gear that has got stuck / damaged or the speed sensor.In my car (not lancer) it has a shaft gear to transmission connected via cable.

One fine day, i saw oil leak from power steering rack (left side) from inside the boot. that area was wet before (it may be leaking drop by drop for long i suspect), suddenly oil seal leaked and all oil drained.

so i took to mechanic , he advised me to change oil seals. I bought a oil seal kit for lancer for Rs.450/- and changed that oil seal. next day the problem regained..so opened the steering box , and asked for a new steering rack, but it was not available, only whole set is available . So The cause was worn out in dimension of rack. the oil seal was not tight.

mechanic opted an option, to hard chrome the part with actual measurement of oil seal. so i gave it to hard chrome, its a big process ( taking 2 days), am waiting for the result. by the way, they said before decade, mechanics used to do same process for Standard 2000 and peugeot steering boxes, also hard chrome people also said same. hope this would solve my problem. Will update the result tomorrow.

The mission of doing hard chrome of steering rack to stop oil seal leak is a failure, when i consulted 2-3 experienced mechanics in power steering problems, they said, the oils seal sets we get from local purchase which costs around Rs.450/- wont be successful. And they too experienced the same problem. Only option is to leave it to Authorised dealer,

They only have the original 'Koyo' branded kit which is sourced from Lancer plant, its not available in market. So i had sent car to them.

The approx estimate is Rs. 5000-7000 for kit change inclusive labour. else i have to change whole steering set. which is not affordable