Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 13:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

I guess the insurance company will bear the cost of the glass. There is no depreciation on the glass parts, so if you decide to get it replaced, you can claim the whole price of the glass under insurance. You may have to pay for labour, though.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:04   #17
BHPian

An update.

I got the windscreen changed with the Saint Gobain product. The fitting etc was done well. There is some gap in the beading at the edges, but that is Ok is what I was told. I hope it does its job.

Total cost was 6000, and this took 3 hrs.
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:35   #18

Same thing happened to me yesterday...

The same thing happened to me yesterday. Had parked my 3 year old Santro Xing in the Shade after travelling approx 100kms within Mumbai City, when I sat in the car in the evening, a long crack almost 15cms was on the front left hand side of the windscreen. Still trying to figure how this happened as there are no edges, no other dents on the car in any way...
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Most laminated Automotive glass cracks, chips etc are repairable as long as they do not fall in your line of sight.

Windshield expert used to do it initially (when they setup shop in 1999) but later they must have realized that its not a profitable proposition on Repair Vs Replace.

Therefore they always replace nowdays.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:02   #20
BHPian

My front windshield has also developed a crack. I do not not know how it happened but it was a small crack at the bottom and seems to be extending now. Here is the pic of the same. Do you guys suggest if I should claim insurance for this. I have never claimed any insurance and if I do so, so if I claim the insurance, my no claim bonus is gone
Attached Thumbnails
Now how the heck did my windshield develop the crack?!!-27042010655.jpg  

Old 27th April 2010, 13:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
My front windshield has also developed a crack. I do not not know how it happened but it was a small crack at the bottom and seems to be extending now. Here is the pic of the same. Do you guys suggest if I should claim insurance for this. I have never claimed any insurance and if I do so, so if I claim the insurance, my no claim bonus is gone
I had a similar issue on my ANHC, few reasons why a small crack extends is

> Vibration
> Excess heat in the cabin. It's allways better to park with glasses rolled lower a bit or put the air let (AC) in outlet mode to ensure air inflow to the cabin is achieved, atleast in summers.

I would recommend you to visit Windshield experts, their quote would be the lowest and they do a pretty decent job. If you don't want to claim insurance WSE is the spot to be.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:37   #22
BHPian

I think its related to small stone hitting at the bottom side. If you see the pic closely, you will see a small pinpoint. I think this is where the stone hit and later extended. I have been told that this crack will get extended if does not fixed. I will check with WindShield to see if they have a solution for this otherwise will have no other choice but to claim the insurance.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I think its related to small stone hitting at the bottom side. If you see the pic closely, you will see a small pinpoint. I think this is where the stone hit and later extended. I have been told that this crack will get extended if does not fixed. I will check with WindShield to see if they have a solution for this otherwise will have no other choice but to claim the insurance.
Yeh I saw the source.

You can't fix such a lengthy crack, it needs a replacement. WSE would fix the crack only if it's few mm, like the first hit of the stone. Anything of magnitude more than that cannot be fixed.

Check mine

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...s-heart-3.html
Old 27th April 2010, 15:55   #24
BHPian

You are right Raghu. WSE said that it needs to be replaced and it will cost me 5147 Rs all inclusive. My no claim bonus is around 4500 Rs. So I am bit confused if I should go for insurance claim or just pay it myself and save NCB, after all its just a matter of 600 bucks.
What say guys??
Old 27th April 2010, 16:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You are right Raghu. WSE said that it needs to be replaced and it will cost me 5147 Rs all inclusive. My no claim bonus is around 4500 Rs. So I am bit confused if I should go for insurance claim or just pay it myself and save NCB, after all its just a matter of 600 bucks.
What say guys??
I say you pay from your own pocket and preserve your NCB. If you see the exact break up of that Rs 5147 it will make your job even easier. I am sure that even if you claim insurance, you will have to pay some part (around 700 bucks or so at least) of that 5147 from your own pocket. This will be towards excess charges.

Also NCB is a recurring thing - it's benefit will accrue to you over the years as well. Even if you sell your current car, you can get the NCB transferred. On the other hand, NCB once broken, will have to rebuilt afresh.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I say you pay from your own pocket and preserve your NCB. If you see the exact break up of that Rs 5147 it will make your job even easier. I am sure that even if you claim insurance, you will have to pay some part (around 700 bucks or so at least) of that 5147 from your own pocket. This will be towards excess charges.

Also NCB is a recurring thing - it's benefit will accrue to you over the years as well. Even if you sell your current car, you can get the NCB transferred. On the other hand, NCB once broken, will have to rebuilt afresh.
This is exactly what I have decided. I am going to keep the glass as long as it stays in the same condition and when there is absolute need of replacement, will get this done by WSE.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is exactly what I have decided. I am going to keep the glass as long as it stays in the same condition and when there is absolute need of replacement, will get this done by WSE.
From a safety point of you that is a very BAD decision.

A sudden vibration can shatter the weakened glass. Its highly recommended that you change the wind shield as soon as possible,.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:56   #28
BHPian

It reminds me of the the crack that developed in my previous car, Santro. I dont think we can conclude on the reason. In fact the crack had developed during night, and i was pretty sure that the windshield didnt have any cracks when I had parked the car. Heat, miscreants, product quality there are lots to blame, but cant conclude.

The toughest part was the insurance claim process that i underwent thru ICICI. Had a big time heated argument with the surveyor as he seldom listened to any of my concerns and he was quite adamant with his own predicaments. Finally the showroom head got involved and sorted out the things. i had to pay claim charges plus the cost of sealants.

Now beware of the sealants, as the dealers can make money by adding those extra bottles of sealants that you dont really require.

And dont leave the crack unattended, as I noticed in my car that the crack slowly started expanding its end. Its a very dangerous situation as a big pothole or rough patch can prove risky.
Old 27th April 2010, 17:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
From a safety point of you that is a very BAD decision.

A sudden vibration can shatter the weakened glass. Its highly recommended that you change the wind shield as soon as possible,.
While I agree that driving with a cracked windshield is not a good thing to do, I am also reasonably sure that it will not shatter even if you hit it with a hammer.

Reason - Almost all cars these days come with a 'laminated' windshield. It will have a joint lamination of two layers of glass. Only a tempered windscreen will shatter on impact and none of the modern cars carry those. You can get tempered windshields in the replacement market though (usually out and down cab guys go for those) but their cost is a fraction of a laminated windshield - usually around 1.5k.
Old 27th April 2010, 17:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
It's already covered a considerable area, I would recommend you to get it changed. If it shatters in extreme places you don't have a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
It reminds me of the the crack that developed in my previous car, Santro. I dont think we can conclude on the reason. In fact the crack had developed during night, and i was pretty sure that the windshield didnt have any cracks when I had parked the car. Heat, miscreants, product quality there are lots to blame, but cant conclude.

The toughest part was the insurance claim process that i underwent thru ICICI. Had a big time heated argument with the surveyor as he seldom listened to any of my concerns and he was quite adamant with his own predicaments. Finally the showroom head got involved and sorted out the things. i had to pay claim charges plus the cost of sealants.

Now beware of the sealants, as the dealers can make money by adding those extra bottles of sealants that you dont really require.

And dont leave the crack unattended, as I noticed in my car that the crack slowly started expanding its end. Its a very dangerous situation as a big pothole or rough patch can prove risky.
S3VA in my case it was Reliance and I didn't had any issues, entire claim process was completed in 1hr. Only amount I had to pay from my pocket was 800 odd Rs for the sealant.

For the same I got different quotes from dealers and they were almost double in price compared to WSE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks