Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 19:23   #1

VW Polo MT: Gears won't engage

Hello Members,

I have tried to find an existing thread but couldn’t find one with a similar issue, therefore opening a new thread for help.

I experienced an issue with my VW Polo 1.2 2014 Gearbox this morning. To give some background, the car hasn't been driven for the last 3 weeks, it has been parked under a covered car park for the entire period and prior to that as well. I tried to start the car as usual this morning and the engine started without any issues, but the gears would not engage at all while the engine is cranked on. While the engine is turned off, the gear shift works normally and I am able to switch between gears. However, as soon as I switch on the engine, the gears would not engage or shift at all. It is completely stuck while the engine is running. Everything was working perfectly normally until 3 weeks ago, no alarms or hiccups with overall functioning of the car. Could someone help what to look for? Could it be the clutch? The mileage on the car is 16K, the car has very low mileage on it since it was predominantly used by my parents all this while. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2018 at 09:59. Reason: Poorly typed post
zmagic is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd July 2018, 19:47   #2
BHPian

re: VW Polo MT: Gears won't engage

Did you drive through water the previous day??
If yes then your clutch is rusted and needs to be changed, same thing happened to my dzire 1.2 last year when I drove through knee deep water. Everything worked fine that day. Next day, I could not slot the gear into 1st or any other gear. The mechanic replaced the clutch and everything worked fine after that.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 08:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo MT: Gears won't engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmagic View Post
While the engine is turned off, the gear shift works normally and I am able to switch between gears. However, as soon as I switch on the engine, the gears would not engage or shift at all, it is completely stuck while the engine is running
In all probability, your clutch friction plate is stuck to the flywheel.

If so, you should:
1. Start and idle the engine atleast 30 mins so that the gearbox too heats up.
2. Crank the car in gear (3rd or 4th)
3. If both the above doesnt work, try push starting the car.
4. By this time the friction plate would have freed itself, but if still doesnt, you'll have to remove the bell housing to access the flywheel and take it off. Otherwise if you have access you can, through the hole where the clutch fork goes in.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2018 at 10:02. Reason: Quoted post edited
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo MT: Gears won't engage

Hello everyone,

Did not want to open a new thread as this one is related to the gearbox of the VW Polo. However, my case is different.

I own a 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and have had no major issues with the car in all these years. However, recently the car seems to be slipping the gear in reverse. This initially started happening when the car used to be reversed on a slight incline or slope. Basically whenever there was light stress during reverse. Sometimes even when the steering wheel was full lock during reverse. This only happens in reverse gear. The gear seems to slip for a split second with a thud/clunk sound and resume reversing. There is no fixed pattern for this gear slipping or thud/clunk sound and happens intermittently. All 05 forward gears work perfectly with no issue.

Car was given yesterday to an independent workshop to get this rectified. They are pretty sure it is related to something inside the gearbox but till now they haven't identified the exact problem.

Anybody experienced anything like this?
Old 13th October 2018, 15:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone,

Did not want to open a new thread as this one is related to the gearbox of the VW Polo. However, my case is different.

I own a 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and have had no major issues with the car in all these years. However, recently the car seems to be slipping the gear in reverse. This initially started happening when the car used to be reversed on a slight incline or slope. Basically whenever there was light stress during reverse. Sometimes even when the steering wheel was full lock during reverse. This only happens in reverse gear. The gear seems to slip for a split second with a thud/clunk sound and resume reversing. There is no fixed pattern for this gear slipping or thud/clunk sound and happens intermittently. All 05 forward gears work perfectly with no issue.

Car was given yesterday to an independent workshop to get this rectified. They are pretty sure it is related to something inside the gearbox but till now they haven't identified the exact problem.

Anybody experienced anything like this?
Don't know if its related but i faced something similar in my 2016 TDI when the car was few months old only.
While reversing, the gear lever would pop up a bit from its engaged position and make loud thud noise. The noise was loud enough to alarm me and send a scare to the people standing nearby. It was rectified by adjusting the gear lever cable from somewhere behind the radiator. It was either tightened or loosened. It has been fine ever since.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Don't know if its related but i faced something similar in my 2016 TDI when the car was few months old only.
While reversing, the gear lever would pop up a bit from its engaged position and make loud thud noise. The noise was loud enough to alarm me and send a scare to the people standing nearby. It was rectified by adjusting the gear lever cable from somewhere behind the radiator. It was either tightened or loosened. It has been fine ever since.
Hi torque18, Well just got a call from the workshop and they have diagnosed it to a worn out Reverse Idler Gear & Gear Shift Fork.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th October 2018 at 20:20. Reason: Typo fixed.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 01:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I faced this situation recently as i drove my Vento through water previous night. I was so worried about the whole thing. Then I across Dhanushs post and option #2 worked like a wonder. Thanks to you for posting this on the forum.
Old 1st July 2020, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In all probability, your clutch friction plate is stuck to the flywheel.

If so, you should:
1. Start and idle the engine atleast 30 mins so that the gearbox too heats up.
3. If both the above doesnt work, try push starting the car.
4. By this time the friction plate would have freed itself, but if still doesnt, you'll have to remove the bell housing to access the flywheel and take it off. Otherwise if you have access you can, through the hole where the clutch fork goes in.
Just found this thread.

I am facing the same problem.
I have an old Chevy Aveo Sedan model.

Absolutely faced no issues with the gear until this incident.

When switched off , all the gears slot into place smoothly. But when I crank the engine I am unable to put it into gear. There is a slight play on the gear stick on the neutral position, but if I try to engage any gear it does not move in that direction.

Will try out the options
Old 1st July 2020, 16:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Just found this thread.

I am facing the same problem.
I have an old Chevy Aveo Sedan model.

Absolutely faced no issues with the gear until this incident.

When switched off , all the gears slot into place smoothly. But when I crank the engine I am unable to put it into gear. There is a slight play on the gear stick on the neutral position, but if I try to engage any gear it does not move in that direction.

Will try out the options
Apart from trying out the options, also pump the clutch pedal with the engine off 7-8 times. My Jetta had the same issue after driving through water, and this sorted the issue out. The pressure plate came free with a thud and everything went back to normal.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 22:12   #10

Ford Figo 2010, Gear not shifting in the morning time

Hello Petrol and Diesel Heads,

I have just bought a Ford Figo 2010 Diesel model from a known person and just after 2 days of buying I am facing a weird issue of gears not engaging in the morning time at the vehicle startup. The previous owner claims he never faced such issue before.

I have inspected the issue with mechanic(Not ford service center) and he suggested me to change the clutch plates. I have replaced the clutch pedal cylinder, clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing aswell which costed me around 10-12k for just parts.

After replacement of the clutch, the gears and clutch was amazing and felt like new. Post that, I have parked the car for 5-6 hours today and I start the vehicle I am still facing the same issue of gears not engaging.

The issue only is happening in the morning hours or if the vehicle is left for 5-6 hours in the day.

The gear oil I have used is - Motul Motylgear 75w90

I am not sure what issue is in the vehicle as the previous owner is not aware of it. I am very much confused.

Any inputs are highly appreciated. If I visit any mechanic again, it would cost be 4-5k again for the services.

Anyone if faced any such issue before, please do help me out with this.

Thank You!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks