Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 17:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading a long time back about Russian car production in the communist era. The plant manager's progress up the food chain was highly dependent on metal consumption and meeting the budget estimates (little mention about the number of cars). Result: maximum metal usage on the car doors and bodies.
Old 19th August 2009, 20:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
akshay,

The Santro's door thunk is much better than most cars in its and even above its class. If you still want a much more firm sound, you can think of some using some rubber matting on the insides of the door. There is a great thread in the DIY section and you can check it out.

There are also options like Dynamat and Noisekill that are more expensive.

BTW, but telling the passengers not to slam the door, you are actually doing your car doors a lot of good.

Cheers,
gpa
Are you talking about 'Fibreglass and Rubber mat damping for SAFARI '?
Will damping INSIDE the door help? I thought it has something to do with the exterior rubber or the lock hook.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:13   #33
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Are you talking about 'Fibreglass and Rubber mat damping for SAFARI '?
Will damping INSIDE the door help? I thought it has something to do with the exterior rubber or the lock hook.
No, not the safari thread. There is another thread where rubber youga mats were used to damp vibrations in the boot of the Santro. I think this would come under the DIY under the ICE section. You could use the same mats for the Santro's doors.

I don't think you will get the door to close firmly by manipulating the door lock or the small rubber stopper near the lock.

The thud sound at the closing of a door is to do with the sound of resonation from the metal door panels. Damping the door panels from inside will remove the resonation and give you a much firmer sounding thud when you shut the door.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:41   #34
BHPian

I have to disagree a bit here... Solid thud is a result of heavy metal plus good damping(example empty spaces less and some kinda material stuck to inside which damps the vibrations on closing resulting in a thude)...else there will be a metallic sound..like a clank(example safari Heavy metal plus poor damping and hollow space)
Old 20th August 2009, 11:28   #35
BHPian

is there an public information about the sheet meta quality used by various manufacturers for various cars, and even countries cause I do feel the same model abroad sometimes have a more solid feel to them and maybe its because of the quality of metal used. Does anyone have any info/links on this?
Old 17th August 2020, 17:13   #36
BHPian

Re: What's so assuring about the door thud?

With my research done on the 'thud', i surely know that its the build quality *read heaviness* plus the rubber beading quality plus the door latch that all contribute to this very satisfying sound - it contributes to affecting the auditory sense in us and makes us believe that this car has quality.
Very few modern cars have this reassuring thud as most of them have tried to soften the sound by removing the metallic clang accompanied with the thud which kind of makes it dis-interesting.
The best door thud i find is in the Mercedes G class which still uses the old latch type door mechanism giving that clank-thud sound.
I was surprised to find the new Honda CR-V giving a near perfect sound.
Old 17th August 2020, 17:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's so assuring about the door thud?

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...nd-engineering

a somewhat in depth take on this topic
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed