Team-BHP - Maintenance cost - Maruti 800 Carb and MPFI models
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Maintenance cost - Maruti 800 Carb and MPFI models (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/26721-maintenance-cost-maruti-800-carb-mpfi-models.html)

Can you plz explain the difference between Maruti 800 Carb model and MPFI model engines, not in terms of theory but physical parts & structure? Can I rebuild MPFI engine as we do old Carb engine? Do both cost same for engine repairs & overhaul? Is it possible to re-wire ie. all electrical wiring, old MPFI M800 completely without performance loss and how much does it cost approx.? Could you tell me about important sensors in MPFI and approx. cost of each? I'm asking all these information for a comparative study on M800 carb & MPFI models mainly on initial and maintenance cost. plz help.

MPFI engines can be rebuilt. But the cost will be more when compared to Carbs.

The maintenance costs of MPFI will be slightly higher but the difference will not be much. Anyway, MPFI will always be a better option.

For differences, go and Google the terms or visit Main Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any idea whether i can get a new one and what will be its cost?
or else at what prices can a used one be procured in Pune or Chennai?

Quote:

Originally Posted by meghan (Post 909036)
Any idea whether i can get a new one and what will be its cost?
or else at what prices can a used one be procured in Pune or Chennai?

WHy? you need a new engine!
Dude! the cost of overhauling this motor can be considered one of the cheapest in this planet.
even if you buy the half engine (block) (maruti has option of this) it will cost you under 13k including labour.

Quote:

The maintenance costs of MPFI will be slightly higher but the difference will not be much. Anyway, MPFI will always be a better option.
I am not so sure about that. While component parts will be more in the MPFi, they rarely fail. The MPFi will require far less tuneups / carb adjustments as compared to the carb 800. I think the MPFi will cost the same to maintain, if not cheaper.

well i really have no idea on the locations and numbers of important sensors in this car but then replacing them all and getting all the electrical rewiring done including a engine rebuild should cost you around 80K including labour thats all.

i know this as one of my uncle did this to his 2001 mpfi maruthi very recently.

AFAIK there are 3 versions of the 800 - the carb Euro-I (39.5bhp) , MPFI with 4 valves per cylinder(45bhp), and MPFI with the 2 Valves per cylinder(37 bhp) .

The carb version is very much repair friendly and does not cost much to fix - however needs adjusting db points and/or dwell angle once in a while ( i do every 5k km - one can do with 10 k intervals too though)

The 45 bhp 4 valve mpfi engine is really nice and usually comes with the 5 speed tranny - this version is very fuel efficient too

the 2 valve per cylinder mpfi engine is kind of okay (maybe you'd be better off with the carb version than this unless you want a E-II or E-III compliant engine - in any case cars with this would be slightly expensive as these were found in recent versions than the other two engines)

as far as maintainance cost is concerned the mpfi engines cost more when something goes wrong (very rarely that happens though) while the carb is easy and cheap to fix. as for rebuilding the engine the cost for mpfi would be marginally higher (not counting ECM and sensors as they rarely go bust) .

I would prefer the 4 valve per cylinder mpfi over the carb version and the carb version over the 37 bhp mpfi 2valve per cylinder engine.

Hope that helps,

Amit

Quote:

Originally Posted by rider60 (Post 910702)
well i really have no idea on the locations and numbers of important sensors in this car but then replacing them all and getting all the electrical rewiring done including a engine rebuild should cost you around 80K including labour thats all.

i know this as one of my uncle did this to his 2001 mpfi maruthi very recently.

80 k for a rebuild ?
or did u mean 8k ?

In chennai you can get the fullcarb engine for around 4000-5000 depends on the condition . For a MPFI engine it would cost 10,000 to 12,000 ( this is without sensors and ecm etc .

I have owned both carb and MPFI models . In my opinion the MPFI is a much better low maintenace engine . The engine rarely needs servicing . The carb version is a real pain and needs a regular visit to the workshop to get the carb or contacts adjusted .

The 45 BHP version is a very good engine at that does the duty in a alto now . but to realise the potential you will need a 5 speed gearbox . The mileage is also on the higher side .

Rather than swapping the engines , you can go in for a complete over haul . It should cost you around 4000-5000 depends on the mechaninc and you can be sure of the engine rather than buy a 2nd one

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinfriend (Post 509870)
Can you plz explain the difference between Maruti 800 Carb model and MPFI model engines, not in terms of theory but physical parts & structure? Can I rebuild MPFI engine as we do old Carb engine? Do both cost same for engine repairs & overhaul? Is it possible to re-wire ie. all electrical wiring, old MPFI M800 completely without performance loss and how much does it cost approx.? Could you tell me about important sensors in MPFI and approx. cost of each? I'm asking all these information for a comparative study on M800 carb & MPFI models mainly on initial and maintenance cost. plz help.

Are you working on any accountancy project ? LOL

Maintaining an old car is much expensive. I was happy with the performance of my 1997 May Model Type 2 Carb Maruti 800 till 2007 after that the car started giving problems. And since i dont like to live with that i use to give for regular servicing and do all the critical work that they suggest .Finaly ended up in a huge cost of ownership.The Log Sheet is attched 800LogSheet.xls

Note : The Fuel log is not complete.