Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 20:06   #16
Team-BHP Support

Though BOASTING can do lots to do with the topic, i still feel the mileage diff is a reality. Right from the Enfield Mofa (i didnt have any comparison vehicle) to the current Swift D i have felt this, car to car, person to person (driving style).
Old 25th July 2007, 20:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The trick is to keep it at optimum power band and ensure proper gears are used, instead of sticking to very low rpms and speeds for long.
many manufactures recommend you stay below a specific rpm first 1000kms.
some even suggest to stay below a specific speeds.
IMO run in should be done in lots of stop and go traffic coupled with a few highway runs, keeping in mind the manufacturer recommended parameters too.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:41   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I for a change completely agree with Jaggu. I have never followed the running in policy on any of my bikes or cars prior to the Baleno. And they all turned out to be fast in comparison to other stock cars. Zen was in a class of its own and would strangely keep up with esteems too.

However the one time I did listen to this theory and ran in the Baleno it felt slower compared to most other stock Baleno's I had driven. Thats about where it gets.
Old 25th July 2007, 21:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Normally_crazy's Ikon 1.6 gives 12 kmpl whereas Danlalan's Ikon 1.6 gives 5 kmpl.
Danlalans needs to rectify his ikon, there cannot be such a huge variation, if his ikon is of first batch when it was launched then theres a remap available from ford india. they were forced to do it cause there was lot of complains from the users for very poor fuel economy, the earlier first batch of ikons were fuel Guzzlers!

plus there are so many other factors which can give poor fuel economy.
Old 25th July 2007, 21:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

My lancer used to give excellent mileage till a few months back. It would never go below 10kmpl in the city. City meant generally peak hour traffic scenario.

On a few highway runs to chennai, tirupati mysore the mileage never went below 15kmpl.

For the past few months ever since my gearbox has been acting funny teh car doesnt give more than 8kmpl in city and the highway mileage is around 12kmpl. The HM guys say the car's perfectly fine. I drove a couple of other lancers just to see if my car had some power loss or some other problem and I was surprised when i drove a 2003-04 lancer as it was extremely rough and the engine was laboured and very raucious but the owner said it gave him 12kmpl.

I am getting my car checked again with the other HM dealer and with psycho as well.

Also my Alto gives miserable mileage of 12.5kmpl in city with AC 100%. I don't use it on highways. I have been hearing city mileage of 14-15kmpl but no matter how light footed i drive the highest i got was 12.9kmpl.

My dad drives the lancer and I use the Alto. Even when we swap the mileage figures are similar.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:18   #21
BHPian

EEEKS!! Just saw this thread and I see that the run-in period affects the long term FE..?? Thats shocking & surprising to hear.

Lets say, In my Ford Ikon, I don't get more than 9 kmpl in city. If I reset the ECU and drive normally and carefully, are there chances of the car giving mileage like the Ikon's that give 11+?

Or when the car goes for overhaul, the mileage has chances of being recovered by PROPER run-in?

A
Old 25th July 2007, 22:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

In addition to the driver's driving style, other factors like how the car is/has been maintained, reliability of gas stations (read that as right quality and quantity of fuel dispensed) where the car is being refuelled, correct tyre pressures being maintained etc would also add to the varying FE amongst the same type of cars.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:24   #23
BHPian

Is it tankful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One particular friend of mine boasts his Pajero (petrol) gives 26kmpl consistently! (says its due to superior japanese technology ).
It may be 26 KM per tankful fuel . I ran in my Petra 1.6 most KMs on highway and a few hundred in city. It used to return 9KMPL range when my commute was 1 KM each way. Now I commute ~12 KM each way and the FE has been better 10.5 to 12 in moderate traffic and based on Shell or IBP. Over the last few weeks traffic got worse and the car idle longer (~15 mins avg to 30+ mins worst case inching towards traffic light). I see FE between 10.5 to 11 KMPL. Based on this experience I would say the following factors affect quoted FE. In general my AC is always ON. Infact the engine/ AirCon remain on during my long commutes while taking breaks.
  • Condition of the car, how it is maintained
  • Fuel used (brand and grade)
  • Uphill or down hill
  • If engine is turned off during waits
  • AirCon
  • Distance of commute: longer the better
  • Load on car/ engine
  • gear shifts
  • acceleration and braking frequency
  • Tire inflation
Unless these factors are accounted for FE number alone would not say much.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Some Fiat 1.6s are reported to give 6kmpl while a few of our members get over 10+.
Someone has claimed 16kmpl & over in his palio 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
what if the way these people are calculating FE figures are different?
this is how i do it
1. tank up full tank (note how many lts went in, example 20lts)
2. drive 200kms
3. tank up again full (note how much lts went it, example 8lts )
4. subtract 3 from 1 (20-8=12lts)
5. divide 200/ the above figure (200/12 =16.67kmpl)

never rely on the trip computer in the car, in most cars i have seen its quite pessimistic.
Man, you got your maths very very wrong. You never have to subtract or add. Just tankful to tankful, divide the kms traveled by the no of litres pumped in. Now i know what you are saying is true. from your example, you are getting a mileage of 25kmpl just like the pajero guy.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th July 2007 at 23:03.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Man, you got your maths very very wrong. You never have to subtract or add. Just tankful to tankful, divide the kms traveled by the no of litres pumped in.
Exactly, I follow the same, this is very handy.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Exactly, I follow the same, this is very handy.
Add me to the list. One more thing to follow to get a precise figure on the fuel average would be to fill the tank till the auto cut-off both times rather than going beyond it, as it is bound to result in a skewed figure otherwise.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Man, you got your maths very very wrong. You never have to subtract or add. Just tankful to tankful, divide the kms traveled by the no of litres pumped in. Now i know what you are saying is true. from your example, you are getting a mileage of 25kmpl just like the pajero guy.
sorry to burst your bubble, but my math is spot on. the method i mentioned gives the most accurate mileage calculation. the numbers i mentioned are just examples, you have to substitute that with your own numbers!!!!

yes you can calculate tankful to tankful, but if you put in 10lts of fuel, do you drive till the whole 10lts is used up before dividing it with the kms travelled????
Old 25th July 2007, 23:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry to burst your bubble, but my math is spot on. the method i mentioned gives the most accurate mileage calculation. the numbers i mentioned are just examples, you have to substitute that with your own numbers!!!!

yes you can calculate tankful to tankful, but if you put in 10lts of fuel, do you drive till the whole 10lts is used up before dividing it with the kms travelled????

Sorry cheap deal. i think one of us is stupid, my bubble is intact (if ever there was one).
Old 25th July 2007, 23:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i think E_ L got it right...if u tanked up first time around - it dusnt matter how much fuel went in...

after u ran for 200kms, next time around if u filled in 8 lits - that means u used up 8 lits to run 200kms - so correct mileage shud be 200/8=25kmpl and not 16 odd as calculated by u...

so congrats to u !! u actually are getting a much better mileage than what u think u are getting

anyway back to the topic - even i feel, this diff is partly due to the usual suspects like fuel quality, driving style etc and also as iraghava said - bragging

i get around 7.5-8kmpl ( max to max) on my OHC 1.5 in the city with very little usage of A/C ( poor me - i live in chennai and i try to avoid the a/c to atleast get this decent figure - but then i have 195/55/15 on and a FFE ) and once u have an FFE, u forget what a light foot is....

on highways though i get 12.5 which is pretty fine with me....

i often hear about 1.5s in this forum getting 11 -12 in city with 80% a/c etc..which i think is a bit of a stretch
Old 26th July 2007, 00:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
It may be 26 KM per tankful fuel .
Eeks! Am sure its not for a tankfull. Pajero has 40+ litres in the tank, right? Imagine the mileage figures in that case!

he's just boasting, thinking the rest of the world will believe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i think E_ L got it right...

Most Viewed